Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

LRguy21

The DemGaz reports today that a new McDonald's is under construction downtown at the SW corner of 6th and Broadway, directly south of the old/beautiful YMCA and diagonal across from the 40-story Simmons Bank Tower.   It is slated as a "flagship" McDonalds (whatever that means), but it is NOT a 2-story structure like the existing facility across the street.

From the photo online, it appears that the structure is NOT fronting or aligned with the building edge on Broadway....WHY??!!!   This is the epicenter of urban Arkansas.  It couldn't be more downtown or more "urban" than this site, and here we are, plopping a small box in the middle of the lot like it's west Little Rock...right at 6th and Broadway!  I guess I should never be surprised at the lack of sophistication of our city's planning department.  The things they DON'T allow, and yet the things that they DO allow is just mind-blowing.  SMH!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Architect said:

The DemGaz reports today that a new McDonald's is under construction downtown at the SW corner of 6th and Broadway, directly south of the old/beautiful YMCA and diagonal across from the 40-story Simmons Bank Tower.   It is slated as a "flagship" McDonalds (whatever that means), but it is NOT a 2-story structure like the existing facility across the street.

From the photo online, it appears that the structure is NOT fronting or aligned with the building edge on Broadway....WHY??!!!   This is the epicenter of urban Arkansas.  It couldn't be more downtown or more "urban" than this site, and here we are, plopping a small box in the middle of the lot like it's west Little Rock...right at 6th and Broadway!  I guess I should never be surprised at the lack of sophistication of our city's planning department.  The things they DON'T allow, and yet the things that they DO allow is just mind-blowing.  SMH!

Today's paper says that the building was turned to face the side street to accommodate two drive-thru lanes.  

Today's paper says that the building was turned to face the side street to accommodate two drive-thru lanes.  

My point was that it’s set back - physically - from BOTH streets. The urban edge was not maintained (fully admitting that it was most recently an open parking lot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is close to the Main Street and part of downtown, sad to see this place go as they had really great food. I tend to think the move from the old location due to the building being bought is what hurt them. 

http://www.rockcityeats.com/hanaroo-sushi-bar-closes/

-R

The old location was quite the dump however! And Three Fold is putting a new fried chicken concept in this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Architect said:

The old location was quite the dump however! And Three Fold is putting a new fried chicken concept in this space.

And in the same building, a coffee shop is going in the old art gallery space and Wicked Taco is going in the old Subway space. Sounds like a nice little corner of options.

Archived