Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

LRguy21

In today's ADG there is an article about The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra relocating to the MM Cohn and Annex buildings. The buildings will be home to its headquarters and practice facilities. Also, in the article there is word of a commericial buisiness to be located nextdoor in the Boyle Building. The article hints that a hotel might be located in the 12 story building.

While admittedly they were in unique property in the Heights, this is welcome news in reinforcing an "arts district" down Main Street.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's ADG there is an article about The Arkansas Symphony Orchestra relocating to the MM Cohn and Annex buildings. The buildings will be home to its headquarters and practice facilities. Also, in the article there is word of a commericial buisiness to be located nextdoor in the Boyle Building. The article hints that a hotel might be located in the 12 story building.

If a hotel does go in the building I bet it will be a boutique hotel. No Hilton Garden Inn or something like that should put in there. Maybe an aLoft or Indigo if it is a national chain.

• 1 month later...

I noticed some activity recently while driving down past the 400 block of Main, Stephens old 2009 demolition site.  Before, this spot was completely flat and empty, but now, there's raised areas of concrete surrounding the outside perimeter of the area and ovals inside the lot. I will take and upload a picture later today when I WALK back past the site to show you what it looks like.

It looks like it be becoming yet ANOTHER surface parking lot...Extra parking for the upcoming Mann building tenants/workers maybe? I don't see any other reasons for a parking lot in that location.

Does anyone know anything about what's going on at the 400 block? This spot has been an empty fenced non-parking lot since 2009, and I remember reading a post on an earlier page on this thread that something was going to be constructed at this spot in the future; I haven't read or heard anything about a new surface parking lot for the location, which would be terrible if Main Street is supposed to be in the process of restoration. surface parking lots do nothing but kill vibrancy, and it makes a downtown feel less urban IMO, and 26% of all of downtown Little Rock is parking lots, many old demo sites.

Very sad. So much for helping REVITALIZE Main St. The surface parking lots at the 100 block (Capital Hotel parking) and the 200 block (e-Stem parking) are understandable but this one doesn't make sense.  What is it for?   I was really hoping something was going to be constructed here, even if it was just all one story buildings.  Something to increase foot activity on that block and the area in general   I hate how every little project out there that would help out the area falls through the floor and they say F it, let's just put up a parking lot.  Hard to imagine that Main St used to look like this, a true bustling urban city center, and now it's no where near "urban" now.

I_LR_MainStreetEarly1960.jpg

Below is a map I hate to look at.  It shows just how bad the surface parking lot issue is down here, and it's only getting worse.  The red areas indicate where surface parking lots are currently present.  Just imagine how different downtown LR would look and be if just one third of these lots were developed on.  The west side of Broadway is HORRENDOUS.  It's filled with POOLS of lots. 

1360072677_5WGmr23-600x10000.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Mann really is starting to look nice. There must be a time limit on this project because work was being done both on Saturday and Sunday.

You can see the new parking deck behind the building as well as the new parking lot at 5th and Main.

img0397wt.jpg

img0395dq.jpg

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. The Main Street Lofts aren't moving at the quick pace of the Mann, but they're still clipping along pretty well. The K-Lofts building is the one I was frustrated with. It is apparently taking forever for them to finish that and it was one of the first exciting sounding loft additions announced for Main. 

MosesTucker is looking for a Mexican Resturant to locate in the  Mann Building. Also, Orbea is looking to locate a showroom on Main although they might return to their first choice to locate in the River Market. I say this because space is now available  in the River Market in the LaHarpe's Office Furniture building. LaHarpe's owns the building and they think they can relocate and lease out the building for resturant space.

MosesTucker is looking for a Mexican Resturant to locate in the  Mann Building. Also, Orbea is looking to locate a showroom on Main although they might return to their first choice to locate in the River Market. I say this because space is now available  in the River Market in the LaHarpe's Office Furniture building. LaHarpe's owns the building and they think they can relocate and lease out the building for resturant space.

I would love to see Orbea open a new showroom downtown.  I miss the old Orbea store at Kavanaugh and Markham where Spokes is now.  I say that though I couldn't afford an Orbea even if one were on sale for half price.  

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the parking situation is going to be for the Arkansas Lofts project and other development in that block?  I don't see any residential project being sucessful without secure parking and am unaware of any that currently exists for this property. 

Does anyone know what the parking situation is going to be for the Arkansas Lofts project and other development in that block?  I don't see any residential project being sucessful without secure parking and am unaware of any that currently exists for this property. 

I am actually going to be a tenant in this building as both a retailer and a resident.  My clothing line AR State of Mind Clothing will be opening on the 6th street side of the building in a live/work loft.  To answer your question there will be 50 spaces available for underneath the building for yearly lease and there will also be access for residents to the deck at Scott and 6th.

• 1 month later...

Taken last week.

After seeing your picture I decided to drive down Main today since I had been out of town and hadn't seen downtown in weeks. Main has a lot of activity with all the construction going on right now and I really like it. Hopefully in a year or two the activity will be people living and shopping there, but for now construction activity is a big step in the right direction. The whole street feels like it's in renovate and rent mode right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Orbea is relocating to the 100 block of Main.

• 1 month later...

I am sure most have heard already but the Tech Park board has voted that Main Street is their top choice for a location.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/oct/23/tech-park-board-votes-downtown-little-rock-locatio/

I'm glad this was chosen, as not only is that the type of working environment that many of the high-skilled, high-tech employees desire, but this should long-term be a big boon to Main Street.

Arkansas Buisiness reports today that an Aloft is under consideration to go in the 12 story Boyle Building at 501 Main. When the discussion for the Tech Park, to be developed on Main St., the developer of the Boyle Building said he was in talks to redevelop the building. It will be interesting to see what happens with this building.

Arkansas Buisiness reports today that an Aloft is under consideration to go in the 12 story Boyle Building at 501 Main. When the discussion for the Tech Park, to be developed on Main St., the developer of the Boyle Building said he was in talks to redevelop the building. It will be interesting to see what happens with this building.

Wow!  Now that would be fantastic!  But…I still regret that they didn't take the opportunity to locate within the River Market District when they had the chance…three times now.

Archived