Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

Wow!  Now that would be fantastic!  But…I still regret that they didn't take the opportunity to locate within the River Market District when they had the chance…three times now.

I'm not a big fan of the buildings that Alofts are in. A good example of that is the one in Rogers. I think the Boyle Building would make a great hotel. It would be an in your face for Stephens to do something with the parking lot across the street.

Arkansas Buisiness reports today that an Aloft is under consideration to go in the 12 story Boyle Building at 501 Main. When the discussion for the Tech Park, to be developed on Main St., the developer of the Boyle Building said he was in talks to redevelop the building. It will be interesting to see what happens with this building.

That building is in the plans for the Tech Park as well.  I would love to see the Aloft go into it but I guess we are going to have to wait and see.  I also agree with Architect that I wish it would have been in the River Market district.  I know there is a lot going on along Main St. but it's been a very long time since a hotel has been developed in the CBD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is talk concerning the Bennett's Army Surplus building getting a new tenant to replace Bennett's. Also, across Main, Mr. Cool's is closing. Both of these buildings are owned by the same person. The Arkansas Times has mentioned twice a new major project for Main. Today it says a "huge new residential project is in the works".  Does anyone know anymore about this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We now know what's going into the building that had Bennett's Army Supply and the building across the street that housed Mr. Cool's.  According to Arkansas Business, CJRW is moving it's headquarters into the Bennett's Army Supply Building and a subsidiary, Jones Film Video, is going into the Mr. Cool's building.

We now know what's going into the building that had Bennett's Army Supply and the building across the street that housed Mr. Cool's.  According to Arkansas Business, CJRW is moving it's headquarters into the Bennett's Army Supply Building and a subsidiary, Jones Film Video, is going into the Mr. Cool's building.

The story was picked up for the front page of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette business and farm section today.  The state's largest advertising and public relations firm will move into a renovated Fulk Building (the current Bennett's home) by mid- to late 2015, according to the report.  Between the future CJRW space and the planned Jones Film Video production facility across the street, there will be 28,000 SF in use.

The story was picked up for the front page of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette business and farm section today.  The state's largest advertising and public relations firm will move into a renovated Fulk Building (the current Bennett's home) by mid- to late 2015, according to the report.  Between the future CJRW space and the planned Jones Film Video production facility across the street, there will be 28,000 SF in use.

Very interesting.  The problem is that this isn't a new downtown tenant; they're merely leaving ANOTHER building downtown with a now substantially vacant space.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that a lot may change between now and when CJRW and Jones officially make their move to Main Street.  Also, whatever space that becomes available as a result of the move would be in substantially better condition and potentially more attractive to refill.  Especially the current CJRW space in the midst of the financial district, which may catch the eye of a bank looking for higher visibility in the market.  Bancorp South, Delta Trust, or Harrison-based First Federal Bank could be a likely addition, among others.

• 2 weeks later...

The 12 story Boyle Building has been sold and is to be redeveloped as a hotel. The new owner is Chi Hotel Group. The Chis have spent the past six months working on redevelopment plans according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Plans will be revealed within a few weeks.

Also, Moses Tucker is working on removing the facade of a building in the 600 block. No news on this except they are working with developers to see what can be done with this building.

Now if someone would do something with the Donaghey Building.

The 12 story Boyle Building has been sold and is to be redeveloped as a hotel. The new owner is Chi Hotel Group. The Chis have spent the past six months working on redevelopment plans according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Plans will be revealed within a few weeks.

Also, Moses Tucker is working on removing the facade of a building in the 600 block. No news on this except they are working with developers to see what can be done with this building.

Arkansas Business "Whispers" identified Aloft as a potential hotel brand for the Boyle building back a few months ago.  However, as of yesterdays press release, they were not yet ready to name the hotel franchise to be associated with the project.  It would be a fantastic brand!

Exciting news. Main street is going to be very nice in a few years the way things are shaping up.

I forgot to mention work started this week on the Low Impact Development along Main St. The east side of the 100 block followed by the 200, 300 and 500 blocks. This works includes new curbs, sidewalks, street lighting, bio-retention basins and other landscape improvements.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was conveyed to me that - as reported - the original owner was well along in developing quite elaborate plans that involved the aLoft brand.  Regrettably, the new owner's plans purportedly do NOT include the aLoft.  Very, very disappointing, and I hope the information is wrong, but hopefully it will be a quality development.

There was an article in Sunday's Democrat-Gazette where the person who wrote it had heard that the development was going to be an Aloft and he called Starwood and asked and the person on the other end told him that it would be an Aloft.  The article also stated that the Starwood representative wouldn't give more information than that and would contact the person who wrote the article later.  They never did and when he called back he couldn't get the person he talked to.

I know you are connected Architect so your info may be more current than what was in the article.

There was an article in Sunday's Democrat-Gazette where the person who wrote it had heard that the development was going to be an Aloft and he called Starwood and asked and the person on the other end told him that it would be an Aloft.  The article also stated that the Starwood representative wouldn't give more information than that and would contact the person who wrote the article later.  They never did and when he called back he couldn't get the person he talked to.

I know you are connected Architect so your info may be more current than what was in the article.

That is a big building for an Aloft in Little Rock (considerably larger than what was hoped to be built originally I believe), but if that is true that would be very nice. Nothing against Marriott but we're running out of their brands to locate downtown and Aloft would be a different atmosphere than anything else down there now. 

The writer in question is Jack Weatherly, senior business writer for the Democrat-Gazette, whose column "That's Business" typically runs in the lower right corner (with jump to 2G or 7G) of the front page of Sunday's business and farm sections.  There's often a tidbit or two shared for those curious about upcoming developments in the area, and occasionally some historical perspective on existing business.  I may not read everything the Sunday paper has to offer, but that's usually a must-read for me.

• 2 weeks later...

ALOFT officially announced for the Boyle Building on Main.  http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/98166/boyle-building-will-carry-aloft-hotel-banner

I really need to get down to Little Rock and see some of what is happening there.  

WOW!  Just excellent.  Clearly, this is a much larger scale aLoft (due to Boyle building's size) than what was originally planned in the River Market District.  While I give pause just a bit since this is removed from the already mature, vibrant River Market District, what a shot in the arm for Main Street this will be!  Rooftop pool too!

WOW!  Just excellent.  Clearly, this is a much larger scale aLoft (due to Boyle building's size) than what was originally planned in the River Market District.  While I give pause just a bit since this is removed from the already mature, vibrant River Market District, what a shot in the arm for Main Street this will be!  Rooftop pool too!

I'm very pleased by the selection/location since I think it will help build momentum on the part of Main Street most likely to eventually tie into the actual River Market core. Although we've known through rumblings that this was likely to be Aloft for a while now, it's very nice to see it confirmed and for there to be a pretty strong time-line on renovation. The coffee shop and restaurant space are great news too. I think Main Street is going to be pretty cool in about 5 years.

Another announcement for Main Street. Urban Garden Montessori School will be opening this fall at 610 Main Street. It will be located next door to the newly relocated Bennett's Military Supplies. The school will be renting the parking lot between Bennett's and 6th Street as a playground.