Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

LRguy21

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12 story Boyle Building has been sold and is to be redeveloped as a hotel. The new owner is Chi Hotel Group. The Chis have spent the past six months working on redevelopment plans according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Plans will be revealed within a few weeks.

Also, Moses Tucker is working on removing the facade of a building in the 600 block. No news on this except they are working with developers to see what can be done with this building.

Now if someone would do something with the Donaghey Building.

The building at 613 Main, mentioned above, will be redone with loft apartments and retail on the ground floor.

The building at 613 Main, mentioned above, will be redone with loft apartments and retail on the ground floor.

I'm so excited by what Main Street is going to look like in a few years. I'm a little sad that I'm leaving Little Rock before all this really gets wrapped up, but it'll definitely give me something to look forward to when I visit. 

I'm so excited by what Main Street is going to look like in a few years. I'm a little sad that I'm leaving Little Rock before all this really gets wrapped up, but it'll definitely give me something to look forward to when I visit. 

By the Spring of 2016 all announced projects should be completed. The question is what will be announced between now and then. Projects I think could be in the future are the redevelopment of the Donaghey Building(7th and Main), the Rose Law Building(300 block of Main) and the old Main Street Market  buildings between Capitol and 6th across from the Aloft. These buildings were converted into an indoor mall back in the 80's and I think are prime for redevelopment. Will the Little Rock Technology Park develop any projects on Main?   While not on Main will Moses Tucker extend their development West from River Market Avenue towards Main and will they be involved in future Main Street Development? Finally, will Mr. Stephens develop the parking lots he now owns on Main or will he sell them to others to develop?

Interesting post concerning future projects on Main Street. What building in the 300 Block of Main is the Rose Law Building? I can't see Stephens developing the parking lot adjacent to the Capital Hotel. He needs this lot and I imagine he doesn't want a building next to the Capital. As for the half block between 4th and 5th he is probably biding his time to see what develops in downtown before doing anything. That's the luxury of being wealthy.

Isn't the Market Building full of State agencies? It would be a good spot for the Tech Park if the Board ever decides on a location.

Moses Tucker have already been involved on Main, with the Mann Building project.

The Donaghey Building is a concern. How many apartments can the downtown area absorb. It was an office building at one time, full of doctor's offices but docs are all out west now.  Is there demand for office space in downtown?

Will the defections from Cranford Johnson does this put the restoration of the Fulk Building in jeopardy?

Interesting post concerning future projects on Main Street. What building in the 300 Block of Main is the Rose Law Building? I can't see Stephens developing the parking lot adjacent to the Capital Hotel. He needs this lot and I imagine he doesn't want a building next to the Capital. As for the half block between 4th and 5th he is probably biding his time to see what develops in downtown before doing anything. That's the luxury of being wealthy.

Isn't the Market Building full of State agencies? It would be a good spot for the Tech Park if the Board ever decides on a location.

Moses Tucker have already been involved on Main, with the Mann Building project.

The Rose Building.

rosebuilding98vj.jpg

As for the Market Building the last time I was by there I didn't see any State offices listed, at least on the Capitol Ave. side. Doesn't Stephens also own the half block between 2nd and 3rd.

The Tech Park will be leasing space in the Block 2 building to start but is looking for 500,000 sq ft. This space will include both redevelopment of buildings and new construction. The Tech Park board hopes to have sites to review within the next few months.

Updates on Main

Signs for the Aloft are up.

u0h2.jpg

The Arkansas Building

9kuo.jpg

613 Main to become commercial/retail with lofts above.

5xf1.jpg

Also, the construction fencing has been installed on both side if the intersection at 3rd and Main.

Updates on Main

Signs for the Aloft are up.

u0h2.jpg

The Arkansas Building

613 Main to become commercial/retail with lofts above.

Also, the construction fencing has been installed on both side if the intersection at 3rd and Main.

It's interesting to note that it specifically states "aloft Little Rock Downtown" as if there might be a plan for a future, separate Little Rock location (though admittedly I can't imagine that happening anytime soon, or even where would be a location as there's not really any major suburban development planned)...Park Avenue would have been an ideal location.

Park Avenue would have been an excellent location for an aloft.  With the shopping, hospitals and universities in the area a hotel there could do well.  Midtown needs a new hotel.

The original plans had a hotel at the top of the hill above the Target parking lot but it was turned into another building for the apts.

The original plans had a hotel at the top of the hill above the Target parking lot but it was turned into another building for the apts.

I know, which was very, very strange given the dearth of options in this area of town.  Mind-boggling really.  I can't imagine MORE apartments were needed.  It certainly makes Park Avenue less of a mixed-use development.  Overall, I'm underwhelmed by the final product (even though I think it's a plus for mid-town).

• 4 weeks later...

The Rose Building.

rosebuilding98vj.jpg

As for the Market Building the last time I was by there I didn't see any State offices listed, at least on the Capitol Ave. side. Doesn't Stephens also own the half block between 2nd and 3rd.

The Tech Park will be leasing space in the Block 2 building to start but is looking for 500,000 sq ft. This space will include both redevelopment of buildings and new construction. The Tech Park board hopes to have sites to review within the next few months.

I stopped by the Market Building last week, out of curiosity about just what was occupying the structure. You can only enter the building from the Main street door. There's a directory immediately in front where I counted 24 various state agencies and boards. Most were regulatory commissions and boards. Although I have no idea how many employees there are, I suspect the building is underutilized. 

As for the Rose Building. Although built by U.M. Rose, the Rose Law Firm never occupied it. From its construction until 1967 the tenant was Alsopp & Chappell.  

• 2 weeks later...

The release of where to locate the Park will have to wait until July. The location will be chosen between four clusters made up of four blocks each. These clusters go from Markham to 9th along Main with three of them being divided by Main. New construction ranges from 291,000 sq. ft. to 539,500 sq. ft. with a total of 419,000 sq. ft. to 690,000 sq. ft. including renovated buildings. What I find interesting and troubling is the additional parking spaces included in these plans. The plans call for 680 to 1700 new parking spaces. 

The release of where to locate the Park will have to wait until July. The location will be chosen between four clusters made up of four blocks each. These clusters go from Markham to 9th along Main with three of them being divided by Main. New construction ranges from 291,000 sq. ft. to 539,500 sq. ft. with a total of 419,000 sq. ft. to 690,000 sq. ft. including renovated buildings. What I find interesting and troubling is the additional parking spaces included in these plans. The plans call for 680 to 1700 new parking spaces. 

That does seem a bit much, but maybe it's just identifying the ultimate demand, not "new" parking...structures or surface (and hopefully not surface).  Certainly there's plenty of parking capacity on-street, lots and structures.

That does seem a bit much, but maybe it's just identifying the ultimate demand, not "new" parking...structures or surface (and hopefully not surface).  Certainly there's plenty of parking capacity on-street, lots and structures.

As you can see  they are saying new parking.  Cluster I contains more parking spaces than the 680 new spaces listed. Because of the spaces shown for each cluster the additional spaces would have to be in decks.

9m9u.jpg

The two story building on the SW corner of 4th & Louisiana is being extensively remodeled. Who is the owner, and what is planned for the building? In the fifties Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Beane was the major tenant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cluster II was chosen to be the site of the park.  The plans show three new buildings: (1)6 stories, 71,400 sq. ft. on the northeast side of  Main and 4th, (2) 6 stories , 147,000  sq, ft. on the southeast side of Main and 4th (3) 6 stories, 231,000 sq. ft. on the west side of Main between 4th and  Capitol Ave. Also, a parking deck will be constructed on the west side of Louisiana between 4th and Capitol Ave. The plans would include the Exchange Building which now houses state workers and KATV would have to relocated.

New restaurant at 4th and Main in the Mann building coming called Samantha's.  It will feature upscale American cuisine, served a la carte.  It is being put together by Chris Tanner from Cheers in the Heights.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashley's at the Capital Hotel is now One Eleven.  Fully renovated space, new menu, new bar, etc.  Looks uber fancy.  The article I read mentioned a $10,000 wine preserver thing and Warren Stephens donating his own personal art. I'm guessing the prices didn't go down.

Ashley's at the Capital Hotel is now One Eleven.  Fully renovated space, new menu, new bar, etc.  Looks uber fancy.  The article I read mentioned a $10,000 wine preserver thing and Warren Stephens donating his own personal art. I'm guessing the prices didn't go down.

I was near there last night, so I poked my head in. The place looks great. The new bar is right at the entrance and it looks very upscale but not quite as stuffy. Took a peek at the menu, it sounds great, but of course isn't cheap. Special occasion tho.

http://oneelevenatthecapital.com/dinner-menu/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived