Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

• 1 month later...

The former Mr. Cool's will be demolished.

hqz5dz.jpg

Plans to restore the building and add a second floor did not work out. Even though at one time the building had a second floor it was determined that the building would not support an additional floor. Now plans are to demolish the building and replace it with a four story building. 

Plans to restore the building and add a second floor did not work out. Even though at one time the building had a second floor it was determined that the building would not support an additional floor. Now plans are to demolish the building and replace it with a four story building. 

That's great, in my opinion. That building is pretty.. unfortunate... looking and 4 stories will add a nice bit of density to that corner and help enhance the feel of the "entrance" to that part of Main Street.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hqz5dz.jpg

The building is no more and the lot is now vacant, It will be interesting to see what the replacement looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad they're doing something with it instead of making another surface lot on Main :P

Also, is there any update on what Stephens is going to do with the surface parking lots on the 100 and 200 blocks of Main?

I don't know  what the plans are but when the survey was done to see what properties were available for the Tech Park  these two properties were listed as being not for sale.

More information has been released on the old Arkansas Democrat building at 615 Main. The Subway has moved out and the plans are now for a high-end restaurant or coffee shop or both on the ground flood and lofts above. The plans now call for 7 loft units. The 3 interior second floor lofts will center around a courtyard featuring a covered skylight.

5xf1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

More information has been released on the old Arkansas Democrat building at 615 Main. The Subway has moved out and the plans are now for a high-end restaurant or coffee shop or both on the ground flood and lofts above. The plans now call for 7 loft units. The 3 interior second floor lofts will center around a courtyard featuring a covered skylight.

5xf1.jpg

It has been announced that Raimondo Winery will be opening up on the ground floor. Previously it was to located in the Residence Inn but when the building sold things did not work out with that spot. Expected opening is October.

UPDATE: The building is now owned by MT. They plan to start working on the building next month and have it completed by the middle of next year.  Look for MT to start developing/redeveloping along Capitol Avenue. Capitol Ave is considered to be one of the three link streets with the other two being President Clinton Avenue and Third Street.

Edited by skirby

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had dinner Saturday night at South on Main and when I was finished about 9 pm I drove north on Main. From 8th Street to the Convention Center all parking spaces were taken. The outdoor eating areas for Samantha's Tap Room and Bruno's were full.  Looks like Main Street is developing into a place to go after all these years.

I had dinner Saturday night at South on Main and when I was finished about 9 pm I drove north on Main. From 8th Street to the Convention Center all parking spaces were taken. The outdoor eating areas for Samantha's Tap Room and Bruno's were full.  Looks like Main Street is developing into a place to go after all these years.

Looking forward to the aloft bringing even more people to Main.  I walk by there almost everyday and see they are doing work on the curb but I haven't seen any noticeable work being done on the inside yet.

Looking forward to the aloft bringing even more people to Main.  I walk by there almost everyday and see they are doing work on the curb but I haven't seen any noticeable work being done on the inside yet.

I read an article last week and it said the work on the inside was taking longer than expected but they want to do it right. Also, the pool had to be relocated from where it was originally going to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Construction on Main Street continues:

Looking south at the 500 block, including the Aloft

ZfoEwz.jpg

Looking north at the 500 block.

X0ae4A.jpg

Looking north at the 300 block.

mN1EcA.jpg

Looking south from the middle of the block.

OpO5ey.jpg

Looking north at the 300 block. I like the way they are making a corner entrance for the building.

9e353c.jpg

Across the street. the new building looks like it will also have a corner entrance.

9f4HsL.jpg

r6mPfR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dinner event at Samantha's Tap room Wednesday evening.  What an amazing surprise...the whole area was abuzz.  I didn't even know about the restaurant, which was huge, very modern/hip, and completely slammed with people (and a huge wait); all of this on a Wednesday night!  The street-scaping in front just looks phenomenal [as skirby captured above - "Looking south from the middle of the block].  There were people, cranes and construction signs everywhere.  I think its safe to say Main Street is finally catching fire...and it should be great in the long-run!

I had a dinner event at Samantha's Tap room Wednesday evening.  What an amazing surprise...the whole area was abuzz.  I didn't even know about the restaurant, which was huge, very modern/hip, and completely slammed with people (and a huge wait); all of this on a Wednesday night!  The street-scaping in front just looks phenomenal [as skirby captured above - "Looking south from the middle of the block].  There were people, cranes and construction signs everywhere.  I think its safe to say Main Street is finally catching fire...and it should be great in the long-run!

Were you there after dark to notice if the lights were working?

The Little Rock Tech Park board held their monthly meeting yesterday in west LR. The reason given to move the meeting to the west was due to lack of parking in the downtown area. Because of the ATA being in town there were no parking spaces. The board announced it is ready to start the purchasing process and it is ready to start applying for financing.