Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

January Snow - 2008

33 posts in this topic

There's soem unnofficial ones on NOAA. They will post official ones later. I just meant totals at your houses though.

There's soem unnofficial ones on NOAA. They will post official ones later. I just meant totals at your houses though.

We had easily 4" before I went to sleep last night and it was still coming down heavy. This morning, a good part of that had been reduced by overnight sleet/rain, but it was still over 3" in depth. The kids are still having fun in it. I'll upload a few photos of my kids and of vwsam's daughter playing on our hillside later on this evening.

This snow in '08 reminds me of the biggie in '88. Does anyone else remember the hilarious coverage on WYFF?

SNOWBOUND '88!!!

It was as if 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and O.J.'s Bronco chase had all happened on the same day. For real, it was like totally that big.

This snow in '08 reminds me of the biggie in '88. Does anyone else remember the hilarious coverage on WYFF?

SNOWBOUND '88!!!

It was as if 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and O.J.'s Bronco chase had all happened on the same day. For real, it was like totally that big.

That was close to a foot of snow wasn't it? I wasn't old enough to play in it, but my family's pictures showed it pretty deep.

Ahhhh Gville.....man......you just made me feel reeeeaaaallllly old. :lol::lol:

The things I was doing in 88!!!!

That was close to a foot of snow wasn't it? I wasn't old enough to play in it, but my family's pictures showed it pretty deep.

So I did a little digging. Here are the official totals for Greenville. Of course, local totals can vary...

1/22/87

10.2 inches

1/7/88

12.0 inches (all-time Greenville record)

So I did a little digging. Here are the official totals for Greenville. Of course, local totals can vary...

1/22/87

10.2 inches

1/7/88

12.0 inches (all-time Greenville record)

It sounds like we COULD get more snow this weekend. With a high of 39 and a low of 15 on Saturday, it says the precipitation should change from rain to snow, but doesn't say how much of either. It still a few days off, so things could change, but they're saying no ice.

Sounds like the snow line may fall a little farther north based on this, but a lot could change over the next 36 hours. TWC has been talking about it as well. Definitely worth watching.

That March '93 "Storm of the Century" is the only bad winter weather I can recall in the 19 years I have lived in Greenville. You gotta remember that I grew up in North Dakota, so I've "seen it all".

That March '93 "Storm of the Century" is the only bad winter weather I can recall in the 19 years I have lived in Greenville. You gotta remember that I grew up in North Dakota, so I've "seen it all".

I'm very much a kid at heart. The snow icon showing up on the forecast gets me excited. No matter how much is called for... I'm hoping for something this Saturday and NEXT. On the 10-day (which is a long ways off and a lot can change), it shows the potential for snow showers a week from Saturday.

NOAA has added their 3:00 package. Sounds like they will upgrade the whole area to a snow advisory, but still saying there is a lot of uncertainty with track and timing of precip, which will greatly impact snow amounts. Interestingly, columbia, sumter, and camden all have snow chances if their forecasts now with possible incch or two in camden. Seems like the main energy may be a little father east this time...

Anyone remeber the ice storms in 94? There were two, and the second was the worst ice storm I remember, including the 03' and 05' ice storms. The 94 was not as bad in terms of outages, but in terms of actual amount of ice and tree damage and cold temps.