Broad Creek Station

lil-bear

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still going to defend this project, because Burfoot not once suggested, implied or said that public money would be required for this project. If he had, i'd be up in arms right along with all of you. But he didn't. He didn't say a public/private partnership, or given the right commitment from the city this could be a success or anything in anyway related to it. Louise Lucas pitched an awful product requiring substantial city investment that eclipsed anything Portsmouth had ever done. There's a reason we haven't heard news about it since. It wasn't a good idea, the city basically rejected it out of hand because it was faulty project. But she clearly stated the city has to invest X amount of dollars to get this. Burfoot didn't and hasn't. Why are we up in arms over a new development that would further strengthen an existing development?

Broad Creek is not a failure. To tear down public housing and build half a million dollar homes is nothing new. But to develop low-income housing amidst half a million dollar homes, disguised to look exactly like those homes is. Over half of the residents of the old public housing moved back into the neighborhood. On top of the doctors, lawyers, families that moved into the project that wouldn't have moved to Norfolk if it weren't built. It redeveloped a prime area that desperately needed to be changed, and Norfolk did just that, started from scratch and rebuilt newer and better, while still offering options to those displaced, without it coming off as pity or guilt. It works. It's the reason they're talking about doing it in the St Paul's Quadrant (which i do disagree with) This proposed development may not be the flashiest (although basing anything of a quick glimpse of sketches on WTKR seems a bit premature to judge), but we didn't see a rendering for the proposed medical tower, or the high rise hotel, or the grocery store. Why are we condemning it? Like i said, the moment Burfoot says "and the city of Norfolk will need to provide X amount of dollars to make this development a reality" consider my opposition immediate. But until then, for one, can we stop considering Broad Creek the ghetto/hood? It's not. Used to be, sure. Not anymore. This is not opening a grocery store in the hood, it's no different now than opening a grocery store in Virginia Beach, say near Lynnhaven/Princess Anne. In a three mile radius you have low-income townhomes, as well as half a million dollar homes and new proposed development. The residents of Broad Creek will absolutely support a grocery store. Why wouldn't they? Who's to say how successful a hotel would be on the site? We can play hypotheticals forever.

The fact of the matter is, Burfoot hasn't asked for city assistance, and yes, if he did, not the smartest plan in the world. Market conditions, city budget conditions, etc, all fair points. But he hasn't. I didn't get the impression that he would. If he can do this all on his own, or all on the developer, then why not? Because it's 'just another strip mall'? Because it's 'in the hood'? The biggest reason for all this is due to WTKR's potrayal of this project as another Town Center/City Center. It's not. It won't be. And Burfoot never said it was intended to be Norfolk's version. WTKR made all the assumptions and stretch comparisons. Think about it objectively then.

A new development has been proposed for a recently completed residential project in Norfolk. It's designed to be upscale, and incorporate retail, commercial, and residential development. While nothing has been finalized, this project could further redevelop a prime location in Norfolk currently populated with upper-middle income housing into another retail destination for Norfolk and Portsmouth residents who don't want to venture downtown or drive all the way to Military Circle. Additionally, a proposed high rise hotel would give travelers and business-people options between the Oceanfront, downtown Norfolk, and Chesapeake while still being convenient to Interstate 264.

You think if WTKR had pitched that instead of leading off with Town Center and City Center comparisons, and then filming in Town Center we wouldn't be viewing this project differently? This is not a bad idea. Like i said before, it's the first of many Transit Related Developments (TRD) that are only going to continue to be pitched as light rail becomes reality. Should city money be needed, by all means, reject this project whole-heartedly. But since expense or paying for this project has not been mentioned....what's the other reasons everyone's against it?

I think Burfoot is trying to attract developers to the area with the benefit of light rail. I think this is like a smaller vision they had for DT Norfolk. As long as it is urban I'm all for it. I'm tired of seeing suburban development, ala broad creek(nothing urban about it), being built in a CITY. Norfolk has a chance to change zoning to make for higher density developments. If this is what Burfoot is doing then i'm behind him all the way! This will no way take from downtown at all.

I'm not against the project, i'm against the project in that location as I stated in my earlier post. I can also almost guarantee that once this thing gains traction, some form of public assistance will be asked for. If it's assistance in the form of a newly created TIF district, I can get behind this no problem. We've been dealing with TIFs a few years now and they really do seem to be worth their weight in gold. If it's in the form of a handout ala Fort Norfolk Plaza, GT, or the Hilton then i'm totally against it. We can't just throw money at every developer with a flashy plan. Norfolk has reached the point where we shouldn't have to do that anymore. Let me also reiterate my conflict of interest stance. I have a real squeamishness with sitting public officials being involved in private developments that could net them potential financial windfalls. It becomes far to easy for someone to abuse their power for personal gain, we really need to draw the line on that.

I wonder what the true opinions of these urban planners that we are hiring for our cities here. I think alot of things are scaled down because they really think this region can't handle true urban development. We really need to get people in power that really can attract the business here that we need.

I am sorry guys. I did not want to make this a Black/White thing I just wanted to know what we were defining as "hood". A lot of urban Universities are located in areas of high crime and low income. Both Norfolk Universities are in those type of areas. I just wanted to place a definition to the word.

I think people are too sensitive anymore. I didn't see it as a white/black thing. Hood is not a black/white thing its just a lower income area. I grew up off of sewells point road which is hood. Its lower income and has both white and black with alot of crime. Vdogg I wasn't referring you I was speaking in general. Hopefully this will be the type of development we have been hoping for since the announcement of lightrail.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any more info on this project?

If I am correct in my location: Va beach Blvd & Ballentine (the grassy fields in front of the new broad creek mixed income homes & apts).

If So, It seems that they are going to begin construction soon on something. Everday for the past week I have driven by this site on my way to school and have seen construction workers in the field. What it is they are doing?, I dont know. But the fields are outlined/bordered with the the plastic orange lining. I tried searching the net for some info but I cant find anything. I am really curious as to what this is going to be because that area really looks bland and blah to me with just the current new houses that were built.

Any Info?

Archived