VW plant near Rocky Mount?

bj-26

A story in today's N&O reports Volkswagen may build a plant north of Rocky Mount along I-95. What a great shot in the arm this would be for that region of the state. And with 2000-2500 jobs possible, I would guess workers could be hired from a 50-plus mile radius. There is a diesel engine plant near Whitakers, but unsure if VW would purchase engines from that plant. Just a thought though.

According to the land owner, the 1-000 acre site is being purchased by "a bunch of Germans." Sounds pretty promising.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, unless NC has gotten it's act together in recent years, it's going to go elsewhere. How many times have Mercedes, Honda, BMW, Toyota, et. al., considered NC for a new plant only to find another AL, SC, TN, etc, has won the plant? I saw a story (N&O?) on MS's bid for Toyota (which they won, and for which NC was a competitor IIRC) and the state clearly had laid the groundwork for the plant... they assembled several viable 1,000+ acre sites near interstates, provided some utilities, marketed the sites extensively, and offered incentives, etc... I was VERY impressed with the level of planning they went into to lure Toyota, and it was clear that NC had not quite done their homework.

Archived