Michael Bloomberg

atlrvr

Who's going to vote for Bloomberg.  

15 members have voted

1. 1. For Registered Democrats...will you likely vote for Bloomberg

• Yes, no matter who wins the nomination.
    • Yes, but only if Hillary win the nomination.
    • Yes, but only if Obama wins the nominations.
    • Yes, but only if Edwads wins the nomination.
    • No way!
    • I'm not a registered Democrat.
  2. 2. For Registered Republicans...will you likely vote for Bloomberg?

• Yes, no matter who wins the nomination.
    • Yes, but only if McCain win the nomination
    • Yes, but only if Romney win the nomination
    • Yes, but only if Huckabee win the nomination
    • Yes, but only if Thompson win the nomination
    • Yes, but only if Guiliani win the nomination
    • No way!
    • I'm not a reistersted Republican.
  3. 3. For Registered Independents...will you likely vote for Bloomberg?

• Yes!
    • I'll probably vote for a Democrat.
    • Maybe, it depents on the Democratic nomination.
    • I'll probably vote for a Republican.
    • Maybe, it depends on the Republican nomination.

Alright....I'm curious as to what Bloomberg's chances of winning are. For a non-candidate, he sure is acting like a candidate. He's socially liberal, fiscally conservative, and could possibly win two of the most populous states, NY and FL.

Both sides couls see him as better than the alternative, as he is truly the most moderate candidate, though some could run from him, hoping he doesn't steal votes.

Thoughts?

Personally, I would have been willing to vote for Richardson or Guiliani, but those don't seem likely, so I'm desperately seeking something else.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you make this topic atlrvr as I was going say something about him myself.

Apparently Bloomberg is indicating just today that if the GOP and the Democrats are silly enough to nominate Huckabee and Hillary, then he will most likely run for the office as an independent. He believes these two to only appeal to the fringes and there is a vast center that would want to vote for someone else. I would be interesting to see if the country would be willing to vote for a 3rd party candidate.

I have not studied Bloomberg that much so I can't say if I would vote for him at this point or not. I will say however the choice of either Huckabee and Hillary is even more sickening as the choice between Bush & Kerry (though not by much) and so I would be looking to vote for someone else.

Bloomberg has no chance to win to win in November. The only way that he could impact the election is to give the Republican nominee a chance to win. This election is the Democrats' to lose, and Bloomberg could pull liberal and moderate voters away from the Democratic nominee. I hope he doesn't run.

As much as I'd like to see an independent third party win, I don't think the country has become that dissatisfied with the two party system YET. I think both parties are horribly corrupt but too many people have grown up with their one party and will stick with them to the death it seems. What a triumph for a third party to win and how that would reset the balance of power and the way people think about government.

Bloomberg has no chance to win to win in November. The only way that he could impact the election is to give the Republican nominee a chance to win. This election is the Democrats' to lose, and Bloomberg could pull liberal and moderate voters away from the Democratic nominee. I hope he doesn't run.

I'm not sure people people view Hillary as an extremist...its just that many genuinely dislike her as a person, and don't trust her.

Obviously the media will play a central roll in whether Bloomberg can be a viable candidate. To his advantage, he is relatively well connected in the media and might be able to get the exposure. Really, what he needs is polls showing him to be a contender (polling above 20%) relatively early on for people to take him seriously. I understand his "wait and see" approach, but now is the time to get the media buzz going....to his credit, maybe its already starting.

Exactly. Short of a complete overhaul of the electoral process, there is virtually zero chance of an independent or third-party winner. The two major parties just hold way too much power under the current system.

For all the talk of "giving moderates someone to vote for," Bloomberg appeals far more to Democratic-leaning voters than Republican-leaning ones. He is a social liberal, and a fiscal conservative. That might sound like a moderate candidate at a glance. However, recent history shows that, contrary to popular wisdom, Republican voters have no problem backing financially irresponsible candidates, while Democrats like those who are careful with spending. Bloomberg will draw votes from the moderates and independents who otherwise would probably have voted for the Democratic candidate, while those who lean Republican will largely ignore him. However much you and I might like his message, a vote for Bloomberg would amount to a vote for the GOP nominee, plain and simple.

That's the thing. Where do people get the idea that Clinton is some kind of far-left extremist? She is probably the single most moderate candidate in the race, from either party. If voters get beyond smear campaigns and actually look at what the candidates say and do, they will find that all three Democratic front-runners have great crossover appeal. Moderates want someone to vote for? Well, unless the Dems nominate Kucinich, they will have a choice between the GOP on the right and the Democrats in the center. Indeed this election is the Democrats' to lose.

Bloomberg has done a great job as Mayor and has the money to do whatever he wants. I am still not sold on him running. By dangling it out there he already influences the race and how the main contenders act. He is to the left of Obama and Clinton and is far left in comparison to the Republican contenders. I see him hurting Obama and Clinton more than the GOP.

Gusterfell, I never said that she is a far-left extremist. I said she is an unelectable, polarizing panderer that is riding off somebody else's coattails claiming to have experience when she doesn't. She has never held an elected public office before 2001, and being the First Lady doesn't mean nothing to me. She lacks the ability to get undecided moderate voters that makes of the majority of the swing votes. Yeah, I agree this election is the one the Democrats to lose, and if she receives the nom it will be practically guaranteed.

I stand by what I said, and if she is nominated, I'm not about to vote for Hillary Clinton, period. She just as weaker as general election candidate as John Kerry if not weaker. Most moderate and swing voters have already stated from jump that is "unlikeable, self-serving, sneaky, and unelectable", so you can take or leave this statement however you want. John Kerry dropped the ball by letting the Swift Boat contraversy fester as long as he did. Meanwhile, the Clintons have already built-in unlikeability factor.

Any one any knowledge of current politics can see that if she is nominated, it is going to be the election to lose b/c there is also a high probability that most of the Obama supporters will seat out this election altogether and the moderate & swing voters will likely vote for the GOP otherwise.

The other issue is... just how splintered are the Republicans? There's the Christians, the foreign policy hawks, and the free market supporters. And seemingly all are now represented by candidates which one of the other three can't live with.

I can't possibly seeing a Repub getting elected unless the Dems splinter beyond repair themselves.

^I always recommend watching the Sunday morning political shows such as Meet the Press as that is where you will get some pretty good analysis of what is going on. This weekend they talked about collapse of Reaganism (which we have endured for 30 years) due the the complete mis-management at the hands of GW Bush and the GOP leadership that supported him until 2006. The problem with a coalition of bible thumpers, big business interests, war hawks, and dixiecrats is they are all pissed off at what Bush has done, and agree the GOP needs to change, but none of them can agree on what that change might be. This is reflected in the election results that we have had so far where there is still no clear front runner the GOP can rally behind.

Oddly enough, it's felt the biggest rallying point for the GOP would be a nomination of Hillary Clinton, mainly due to her dislike factor. If Democrats nominate her, expect the dirtiest campaign that you have ever seen. IMO, the natural candidate for the Democrats to nominate would be Obama but I am afraid there is still significant resistance in this country to voting for a Black man and this is being reflected in the results. The Clintons have been crafty enough to very vocally remind people in this country that he is Black and that is being reflected in some of the vote.

On the notion that if Hillary is nominated, that democrats will still vote for her, I would not be so sure. I could be called a core democratic supporter but I have already decided that if she is nominated that I will not vote for her. I will either sit it out, or vote for an alternative like a 3rd party candidate. Did this take away a vote from the Democrats? No, the Democrats lost the vote. There is a big difference.

Moderate and swing voters also say such things about all the Republican candidates. I'm not basing my position on my personal opinion. I'm looking at what polls from various sources are saying. I have yet to see a single one in which Hillary loses outright to any GOP nominee. It would be a closer contest than if Obama is nominated, sure, but not an unwinnable one.

Obama supporters will not sit out the election in any large numbers, any more than Clinton supporters will sit out if Obama is nominated. The infighting we're seeing between the supporters of various candidates is normal, and happens at this point in every presidential election cycle. Every time, once there is a clear nominee, the party base unites behind that candidate.

As for moderate and swing voters, some might vote Republican if Hillary is nominated, but I think you're underestimating just how fed up people are with the GOP. In every primary this far, Democratic voters have outnumbered Republicans by around five to one. If the GOP can't even get its base to turn out, how does it expect to draw swing voters? If anything, independents will stay home, leaving the energized Democratic base to battle the demoralized GOP base.

The voting results in recent weeks certainly don't reflect the notion that the race issue has alienated many Democratic voters, as Hillary has won every contest since the issue broke. Older people tend not to be as offended by such comments as younger people, and young people don't vote in large numbers. The race issue is the political scandal du jour, but I expect it to be a minor footnote in the overall campaign. There have been uglier campaign seasons than this one in recent election cycles, and they have never created a lasting rift in the party.

I could be called a core democratic supporter but I have already decided that if she is nominated that I will not vote for her. I will either sit it out, or vote for an alternative like a 3rd party candidate. Did this take away a vote from the Democrats? No, the Democrats lost the vote. There is a big difference.

Archived