Downtown Hartford Residential Projects

I compiled all of the residential development going on in the city right now (that I know about). I include Hotels as residential because this is all about bringing people downtown. Please correct me if you know differently than I have posted. Also I am sure we could add the non residential projects to these lists as well.

PROPOSED:

YMCA Tower 40+ stories 200 Condos +100 Apartments

101 Pearl 36 Apartments

Front Street 115 Apartments

158 Woodland 28 Condos

Best Western on Market St. 8 stories 75 rooms

Capewell Hotel 130 Rooms

410 Asylum 70 Apartments

Lofts on Capitol 113 housing units

http://www.bhplus.com/Portfolio/Default.asp?PortfolioID=38

STALLED:

Capewell Factory 100 Condos

Plaza Mayor 35-45 residential units

777 Main (BoA) 50+ Condos

CONSTRUCTION:

Colt Gateway 238 open/under construction

N. Main Apts. 57 low income apartments

BUILT

Hotel Bond (Homewood Suits) 117 hotel suits

SNET Building: 132 apartments

Trumbull on the park: 100 apartments

Hartford 21 262 apartments

Sage-Allen 78 apartments +170 student housing

The Metropolitan 50 condos 13 as yet unsold

American Airlines 101 Apartments (just opened)

1429 Park Street/Design Center Hartford 56 Loft style Apartment lofts (just opened)

Total residential units Built 949

Estimated occupied ~580

Total residential units under construction 295 although 238 are potentially stalling? at Colt

Total residential units proposed and likely 662 + 75 Hotel rooms

Total residential units proposed and not likely 185 + 130 hotel rooms

I colored the projects in the center of downtown Red

These are the most important ones. They will breath life into a once empty urban core.

I colored the projects on the edge of downtown Orange

They are just a little further from the very center of it all.

and I colored the projects around the downtown area green(because yellow is hard to read).

These important projects connect the CBD with the rest of the city while increasing density.

comments?

Edited by HartfordTycoon

My only comment is that Colt wants $1275 for a one bedroom...lol, give me a break! I would suggest that developers temper their expectations...

I compiled all of the residential development going on in the city right now (that I know about). I include Hotels as residential because this is all about bringing people downtown. Please correct me if you know differently than I have posted. Also I am sure we could add the non residential projects to these lists as well.

PROPOSED:

101 Pearl 36 Apartments

158 Woodland 28 Condos

Best Western on Market St. 8 stories 75 rooms

Capewell Hotel 130 Rooms

410 Asylum 70 Apartments

STALLED:

CONSTRUCTION:

American Airlines 89 Condos/Apartments

BUILT

Sage-Allen 78 apartments

Total residential units Built 622

estimated occupied ~450

Total residential units under construction 384 although 238 are potentially stalling? at Colt

Total residential units proposed and likely 549 + 75 Hotel rooms

comments?

BUILT

Sage-Allen 78 apartments

Total residential units Built 622

estimated occupied ~450

Total residential units under construction 384 although 238 are potentially stalling? at Colt

Total residential units proposed and likely 549 + 75 Hotel rooms

comments?

You ignored the 170 student/intern rooms that are part of the Sage Allen project...

• 4 weeks later...

I have some edits here. new proposal, completion of AA, and updated totals below

PROPOSED:

BUILT

American Airlines 101 Apartments (just opened)

1429 Park Street/Design Center Hartford 56 Loft style Apartment lofts (just opened)

Estimated occupied ~580

Total residential units under construction 295 although 238 are potentially stalling? at Colt

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Hi- It's late so I may just have missed it, but there are 56 residential units built at 1429 Park Street/Design Center Hartford. I just posted pics that i took there on the "lofts on Capital thread"; sadly they came out a little small. They should be having their first move in by mid march. The units are incredible- i wish i could get one of the furnished units!

Edited by Hartford to WH

THe old Trout Brook Brewery used to be next door. Is there a bar or restaurant open in the old TBB location?

There was a nightclub, The Hot Club, running on weekends for a while. They have had some problems though and I'm not sure if they are still drawing patrons in large numbers.

Putting 150 folks 50 yards from the front door of that place may make it a more viable location.

It's still a very nice space on the inside. It could really be renovated into a very upscale establishment and attracting a hipper demographic to the area with the lofts could certainly help set it on that course.

• 3 months later...

Lately we have seen various news reports and insider info on these boards reporting sold out studios and 1 bed rooms apts in downtown.

I find it hard to doubt this information at this point. Sage Allen has a waiting list. 55 on the park has a 15 deep waiting list, Trumbull on the park has a waiting list, H-21 apparently has a waiting list 5-10 deep.

I have no idea where the American Airlines building stands, but can only imagine it is renting well.

so I am asking when will a developer capitolize on this emerging demographic downtown? Assuming there is some overlap in names on those lists, there is surely still at least 20-30 people looking for a nice studio or 1 BR downtown in the 1200-1400 price range. There are surely others that would come out of the wood work if prices were even better or of the housing option was interesting.

I am wondering who if anyone will step in to seize the opportunity that is downtown Hartford right now. It seems a no brainer right now for someone to step in and build something full of studios and 1 BR apts focusing on the young.

I know what I would build and where but I am not a developer(yet)

...so I am asking when will a developer capitolize on this emerging demographic downtown? Assuming there is some overlap in names on those lists, there is surely still at least 20-30 people looking for a nice studio or 1 BR downtown in the 1200-1400 price range. There are surely others that would come out of the wood work if prices were even better or of the housing option was interesting.

Don't discount the fact that the current spike in building materials will go straight to the bottom line of any new development projects which will in turn have to be made up for in higher rents. Also, some of the renting of larger units has been a result of renters stepping up from smaller units.

A waiting list is a good thing if it is not too large.

Don't discount the fact that the current spike in building materials will go straight to the bottom line of any new development projects which will in turn have to be made up for in higher rents. Also, some of the renting of larger units has been a result of renters stepping up from smaller units.

A waiting list is a good thing if it is not too large.

Yeah, I assure you, the skyrocketing construction costs definately concern me regarding Hartfords future. Those costs are becoming a barrier to the downtown population Hartford would like to have. I say more so in Hartford that some other cities because buildings need to be built from scratch rather than renovated. We all know about the parking lots. We will see, but I am almost hoping for a construction melt down in China, Dubai, India etc. and I do not see one coming.

I hope the waiting list becomes a Hartford right of passage. right now I hope they grow to staggering sizes to encourage development, but thats not realistic.

NOT ON THE LIST_

Union Place Apartments -69 units.

when was this built? got any additional info? I think its been open a few years at least.

and which building is this? its apparently right by the train station. is it the one right next to the fed Cafe?

it reviews horribly. too bad.

I have to edit this post at this point, so if you have more info about these apts that would help.

I gotta add that new approval on Weathersfield Ave as well as remove the front street housing.

Hopefully we will find something out about the Capewell project because that group from Boston was interested in taking it over and pushing forward with it.

• 2 months later...

Nice map.

From looking at the map, Hartford needs more residential down near the convention center and State house square. Constitution plaza needs something bad!

You forgot the East Hartford side of the river, that residential tower is ownership units.

Also, only 2 owner occupied buildings downtown is kind of lame.

Edited by uconn99

Nice map.

From looking at the map, Hartford needs more residential down near the convention center and State house square. Constitution plaza needs something bad!

You forgot the East Hartford side of the river, that residential tower is ownership units.

Also, only 2 owner occupied buildings downtown is kind of lame.

Yeah after I did the map I realized that I needed to do it from a little further out.

Just outside of this view we have the condos in E-Hartford and the Hampton Inn being built next to them plus the sheraton.

the lofts on Capitol Ave, the Best western on Market, and the low income housing on Main.

the Linden to the south

besides the low density areas like frog hollow.

So maybe if gymnastics comes on again tonight I will try another version.

Yes 2 ownership buildings is extremely lame

To me the thing this city needs more than anything is condos. it needs high end condos and it needs low end condos.

I would love to see the YMCA site developed, but I also think the 180 Allyn St. site should be turned into just a ton of "cheap" condos for the young workers, and young couples. An ownership stake changes everything. the units at 266 pearl are not selling because there is not much of a market for condos in the 300k range. but in the 150 ball park, or in the 600k ball park you would sell quite swiftly.

Every month my wifes company brings in a new executive and they are all looking for a downtown condo around 600k. They are then disapointed to find out that they need to buy in West Hartford Center, and end up buying single families in Farmington.

I think there is another project on Wethersfield I am forgetting but whatever.

PROPOSED:

101 Pearl 36 Apartments

158 Woodland 28 Condos

Capewell Hotel 130 Rooms

945 Wethersfield Ave.

-5 story 30 unit multi family new construction

990 Wethersfield Ave

-24 apartments in renovation from Mill

STALLED:

CONSTRUCTION:

410 Asylum 14 market rate, 56 affordable Apartments

Hampton Inn East Hartford

-121 rooms

Best Western on Market St.

-8 stories 75 rooms

BUILT

Hotel Bond (Homewood Suits) 117 hotel suits

Hartford-21 262 apartments

Sage-Allen 78 apartments +170 student housing

American Airlines 101 Apartments

1429 Park Street/Design Center Hartford 56 Loft style Apartment lofts

Estimated occupied ~580

I colored the projects in the center of downtown Red

These are the most important ones. They will breath life into a once empty urban core.

I colored the projects on the edge of downtown Orange

They are just a little further from the very center of it all.

and I colored the projects around the downtown area green(because yellow is hard to read).

These important projects connect the CBD with the rest of the city while increasing density.

comments?

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 2 weeks later...

I know I would love to see some condos on Consitution Plaza, apartments at the old Hilton site and a condo/marina on East Hartford's side of the Connecticut River. Also, I'd love to see condos/rental units where the old HB Davis/'The Butt ugly building' is.

I would love to see more condos/apartments in downtown East Hartford, too.

I know I would love to see some condos on Consitution Plaza, apartments at the old Hilton site and a condo/marina on East Hartford's side of the Connecticut River. Also, I'd love to see condos/rental units where the old HB Davis/'The Butt ugly building' is.

I would love to see more condos/apartments in downtown East Hartford, too.

the key question however.... would you buy one?

I dont know where you live, but the real question is if you would sell your house and buy a downtown condo to live in.

I say I would if Jewell St were built, but my wife might disagree.

if all the condos etc you mention existed the feel would be different and she probably would let me, but as it stands it will be a tough commitment for many people to make