Downtown Hartford Residential Projects

I still look at that thing from time to time.

I think its a pipe dream full on, but If we can get some of the current projects started and they fill up, the city will have a certain density that I think would change the market sunstantially.  I am not sure it warrents a 40 story condo, but I think it could lead to a 40 story condo making a little more sense anyways.

Imagine if this had been started in 2005/6 as Hartford 21 was starting leasing.  it would have opened in 2009ish?

that would have just been terrible for the building, the developers and honestly the city.

another scenerio

say, it was built at the same time as H-21 and 400 people moved into this building in 2006.

it would have added some additional life to this part of downtown, and along the park, but other than maybe 1 more resturant being open during that time, nothing else would change in Hartford since then.  In fact the afluent empty nester that would be living there would likely be telling all their friends how it was a terrible mistake and that there is nothing happening in Hartford.

If something like this were to happen in 5 years, I think the results would be much more favorable and would create additional demand for high end condos downtown.

Mind you I suppose Id still be happy if it were built based on this render because its damn pretty.

And hey, even though Northland has a serious black eye here in Hartford, its still a massive company with lots of property around here.

maybe, just maybe they can re-ignite some of that optimism for the city.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 3 months later...

With the article about 201 Ann Street, it seems we are extremely close to actual progress here in downtown again!!!

From recent articles I have seen that we have work begining "any day now" at 4 different projects

1: 201 Ann: 26 market rate 1 bedroom apartments

2: Colt gateway South Armory Phase 2: 79 market rate Lofts

3: On the Plaza: 193 Apartments on Constitution plaza.  apparently there are construction fences up...

4: 179 Allyn Street: 63 apartments, 20% low income.  The article about 201 Ann said this one is right behind that one... I believe it too as they have moved quickly and attained all needed approvals.

It seems as though these 4 are locked down and all extremely close to actual construction. 

Thats 282 Apartments downtown and the 79 in Coltsville.

a good start

Other stuff

1: 3 Constitution Plaza AKA "residences at river view" have now mostly wrapped up financing and seem to be actually moving forward.   Since this isnew construction, dont expect any action till SPRING.

WTF?

1: 777 Main:  I thought they had said that they expected people to be moving in come next spring...   seems as though those tax credits caused some damages.

2: Front Street Phase 2: Again new construction, so likely wont start till spring at the earliest, but this has been in the bag for quite a while.  no action though.  and the last we heard these were supposed to start construction in "early fall"  Maybe they are working to fulfill my dream of a larger building now that they landed UCONN.  sure!! thats gotta be it, they are adding 200 apartments here now :P

In this article,

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20131104/PRINTEDITION/311019960/1003

the big cheese mentioned condos and apaartments in the housing pipeline in response to the survuys statement of housing need.

However, a separate study also revealed the sobering assessment that between 7,000 to 10,000 housing units stretching from downtown northward, to at least the adjoining Clay-Arsenal neighborhood, would be necessary to sustain that kind of retail long-term in the area designated Downtown North.

"It's going to take a while to get to that number,'' Deller said, referring to the approximately 1,100 units of downtown apartments and condominiums now in the development pipeline. Most involve converting existing office buildings and spaces into housing. Presently, there are about 1,478 units of housing downtown.

Im curious about the term Condos!

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent article about Goodwin square building being for sale, there was much mention about the old hotel.

obviously a new owner will need to decide what to do with it, but the article mentioned hotel or apartment use.

Obviously both would help to re-invigorate this street.

an engaged owner should also help to try and fill retail spaces and that bodes well of the neighborhood.

As condos, im thinking they would aim high-end  but likely near 400k so maybe thats mid level.   anways, I can only imagine the units would be 1000+ SF each, so probably not too many units.

40ish?

• 4 weeks later...

We can confirm that 201 Ann street as well as the Clarion are doing interior demo work.  Supposedly 179 Allyn Street has started as well.

If this holds true we have 282 apartments currently under construction in Harftord right now.

First move ins will be in the Spring for 201 Ann Street.

179 Allyn should be next then 5 Constitution Plaza.  That is of course unless one of the small projects gets started soon.  They could have quick turn around times since they are so small.

Can anyone here actually conform work being done down at 179 Allyn Street?  or at coltsville either?  that one is supposed to start any day.

fyi

Due to the construction of the Front Street Loft apartments, the upper part of Front Street from Front Street Crossing to Prospect Street will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic beginning Wednesday, Dec. 11 until further notice. The entrance to both Front Street North and South Parking Garages will remain accessible from Front Street Crossing (from Arch Street).

fyi

Due to the construction of the Front Street Loft apartments, the upper part of Front Street from Front Street Crossing to Prospect Street will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic beginning Wednesday, Dec. 11 until further notice. The entrance to both Front Street North and South Parking Garages will remain accessible from Front Street Crossing (from Arch Street).

Makes my morning walk a little longer but I'm really excited that they are getting this project underway. Can't wait to see this go up!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by 179 Allyn Street and it is clearly in progress.

there were demo chutes down the side of the building and a small army of AT&T vans parked in front on Saturday at around noon

So, I guess 403 are in progress right?

26 in 201 Ann that will be ready by spring

121 in Front Street

63 in 179 Allyn

193 in the old Clarion

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post the current active projects in the order they are expected to open.  I also added the unit breakdowns that I could find

211 Ann Street conversion Dec 2014

26 Studios

179 Allyn Street    fall 2014 and early 2015

63 one Bedroom apartments

The Sonesta conversion May 2015

54 Studios

118 one-bedroom units

7 one bedrooms with a den

14 two-bedroom units

For a total of 193 units

32 are rent restricted based on income

Front Street Apartments      July 2015 (im guessing its more like fall 2015)

121 units with a mix of Studio, 1 and 2 bedrooms

Does anyone have the breakdown?  I cant find anything.  Im glad there will be 2 bedrooms and such because the opther 3 projects stack up as seen below

80 Studios

181 one-bedroom units

14 two-bedroom units

I wanted to post the current active projects in the order they are expected to open.  I also added the unit breakdowns that I could find

I am adding in 777 Main to the timeline.  but since they say by late summer, Im going to assume a staged roll out and honestly lump it in a few places...

211 Ann Street conversion Dec 2014

26 Studios

179 Allyn Street    fall 2014 and early 2015

777 Main Street conversion fall? 2014 into mid 2015 or later

44 Studio

220 One BR

22 Two BR

56 are rent restricted based on income

54 Studios

118 one-bedroom units

14 two-bedroom units

For a total of 193 units

Front Street Apartments      July 2015 (im guessing its more like fall 2015)

121 units with a mix of Studio, 1 and 2 bedrooms

Does anyone have the breakdown?  I cant find anything.  Im glad there will be 2 bedrooms and such because the opther 3 projects stack up as seen below

124 Studios

401 one-bedroom units

36 two-bedroom units

The sheer number of one bedrroms is amazing.

I dont have the breakdown for front street but even still im thinking we might have some absorbtion issues come spring 2015 into summer.  especially if other projects get started.

• 2 months later...

Funny thing, I just drove p[ast both those buildings and didnt notice any work.  doesnt mean that its not the Asylum street one.  but I am almost certain that the Pratt building is not in progress unless all visible signs are in the surface lot behind the building

Because Pratt and Trumbull look unchanged

Has the Pratt St conversion begun?  

Jackpot!

While at the parade I noticed that there is debris on each balcony behind 69 Pratt.

69 Pratt is part of the 99 Pratt Project, so, I can only assume that at this point demolition has begun.

there were also about 30 people partying on the roof of 99 Pratt watching the parade.  Pretty cool if ya ask me.

we need more of that!!

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Driving through Hartford at night made me see that the Colt Armory South is fully under construction.

in the past I thought I saw this while driving to the airport one morning, but now I am  100% certain I saw a crap load of metal wall framing inside the other floors and a ton of lights in there. 

this is likely the 5th project.  99 Pratt may be getting demo as well because I definately saw that too, but this is OBVIOUS construction at Colt South.

Cant wait till that is up and running to see how it leases.  then we get to hopefully hear the final plans for Colt East!!

YAY  gonna edit the numbers into here momentarily...

The Voice of Reason, on 02 Jan 2014 - 2:13 PM, said:snapback.png

211 Ann Street conversion Dec 2014-construction

26 Studios - Market rate

179 Allyn Street    fall 2014 and early 2015-construction

13 are rent restricted

99 Pratt Street (midy 2015)  -Demolition

27 One BR apartments- Market Rate

777 Main Street conversion fall? 2014 into mid 2015 or later-NEAR construction

65 Studio

199 One BR

22 Two BR

56 are rent restricted based on income

The Sonesta conversion May 2015-Construction

54 Studios

118 one-bedroom units

14 two-bedroom units

For a total of 193 units

Front Street Apartments      July 2015 (im guessing its more like fall 2015)-Construction

36 Studio,

75 One Beds

10 Two-Beds

Coltsville South Armory  (guessing late 2014) -Construction

79 Loft Apartments-Market Rate (assuming studios)

This is how the current projects stack up

260 Studios

482 one-bedroom units

46 two-bedroom units

101 are rent restricted based on income

The sheer number of one bedrroms is amazing.

Mind you at this point 777 Main and 99 Pratt are not under construction officially, but the total including them is 795 new housing units.

other projects that we can confirm have approached CRDA

289 Asylum  16 apartments

3 Constitution Plaza   48 apartments

Capewell   72 larger apartments

101-111 Pearl   201 apartments

Hartford office supply   112 lofts

Rumors include a condo tower over by the Old State lab. 

55 Elm

other state offices on the park

• 2 weeks later...

Bank of America building.

www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-main-street-apartment-financing-20140328,0,5669302.story

The $85 million financing package for the largest downtown Hartford apartment project -- the conversion of the former Bank of America tower -- closed this afternoon.

Construction of 286 rental units in the 26-story tower on Main Street is expected to begin soon.

"The deal is closed," Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, said. "The financing is in place. Construction will begin soon."

The financing includes the $7 million sale of the building to developer Bruce Becker by its current owner, Grunberg Realty, according to Jay W. Wamester, a broker at commercial real estate firm Colliers International in Hartford. Colliers represented the seller and procured the buyer.

Edited by justinkies

With the article on 777 Main from Friday, and the update on 5 Constitution Plaza today, thought it put some stuff here around the project completion timelines.

I am thinking that the end of 2014 will start to see openings of a few properties... 211 Ann being first then some of the other places.

looking at this first group which I only assume includes Colt, means that the market will be absorbing about 70-100 units downtown and half that in coltsville.

I think all of these projects will do pretty well because that is not too much all at once.    Coltsville might struggle a little because its not downtown, but they also dont compete with downtown son mmuch and I am certain they will all rent up down there pretty evenly just like the first 50 did.

End of 2014:

211 Ann Street conversion   -26 Studios - Market rate

179 Allyn Street    Half of 63 one Bedroom apartments 

Coltsville South Armory  (guessing late 2014)  79 Loft Apartments-Market Rate (assuming studios)

777 Main Street conversion    first units 2014    65 Studio   199 One BR   22 Two BR

Early 2015 is when you will start to see the real action. While I think 211 Ann has a good chance of filling up by early 2015, 179 Allyn Street and 777 Main will start to compete for renters as they each open more units.

how much are finished before the Sonesta opens is really the big question, because at that point we will really start to see some volume on the market.  Luckily Allyn and Sonesta are on opposite sides of town and 777 Main is failry unique as being kindof high end and also being a highrise.

By the spring of 2015 there will have been about 150 apartments in downtown and 79 on the endge that opened up and Im sure a good ammount filled. 

There would likely be a nice new energy next spring as the new residents move in and start frequenting downtown hotspots.

Expect some new establishments opening around this time.

early 2015

179 Allyn Street    the other half of 63 one Bedroom apartments 

When Pratt opens it will compete with Ann street, but they should be far enough along in leasing that both propertys would do well.  Pratt might have a few struggles with its high rents and because it also competes with the top floors of 777 Main.

777 Main should be finishing off the bulk of their units by mid 2015 and going into the fall.  these are going to be mostly the smaller units because they are likely to be putting the lasrgest units on the top floors and those will be the first ones completed.

those apartments will go toe to toe with the Sonesta and for the first time we will have some absorbtion issues.

By the end of mid 2015 going into fall im guessing we might be at 400+ units downtown open for rental.  I think the largest units might be the easiest to rent just because of the low number, but the energy downtown will change completely in the summer of 2015.  with new places opening up to meet the demand of the new residents as well as the coming UCONN and of course the residents themselves...

Mid  2015

99 Pratt Street (midy 2015)  -  27 One BR apartments- Market Rate

54 Studios

118 one-bedroom units

14 two-bedroom units

777 Main Street conversion   most units    65 Studio   199 One BR   22 Two BR

At 2015 comes to a close there will be close to 700 new apartments and many will have been rented due to the spring/Fall fluctuations reom school and such.  Some of the older apartments might even feel a punch as downtown living options force them to compete with better buildings and a much larger supply.

In addition to The first brand new construction in 5+ years, we should se a hunge number of other projects underway at this point.  I suspect that many of the other projects that will be starting construction soon will look to slide in for opening in early 2016 to avoid the glut from 777 Main and Sonesta.  Some smaller projects might be opening with Front Street such as Burger Baby or Lewis Street.  Small projects that can be completed fairly quickly.

late 2015

Front Street Apartments     

36 Studio,

75 One Beds

10 Two-Beds

By Spring 2016, the first wave of projects SHOULD all be complete and doing pretty well in terms of occupancy.  the largest buildings may still seeking a few more tenants and some older buildings will also be looking to replace vacancies, but I expect there to be at least an additional 500 downtown residents by 2016 Spring.   there should be several new places to eat and other interesting filled storefronts by this time.   the feel of downtown should really have changed at this point and make for a perception change we can all agree is overdue.

I am sure there would be some fairly high visibility projects nearing completion during the warm months of 2016 also.  Possibly 101-111 Pearl, Maybe Capewell, maybe the Hartford Office building.  as mentioned burger baby... etc.  The real questions will be around some of the other more ambitous projects.  I suspect some will wait to finalize financing until they see how the big projects of 2015 do.  CRDA of course helps make deals happen, but business is business, and some projects will wait till they see demand proven.

With good results, expect some additional new construction.  3 CP, The Asylum St Lot, The old Hilton, and Allyn Street come to mind...  Also, The office moves will have allowed many buildings to become available along the S Side of the park...

From the CRDA web site

Rental Unit Breakdown by Project                                

Housing Project           Unit Configuration                                     Avg. Monthly Rental

777 Main                        65 studio,   199 1-br,   22 2-br                             $714- $1,900

201 Ann Uccello             0 studio,      26 1-br,      0 2-br                             $1,575

179 Allyn                        0 studio,      63 1-br,      0 2-br                             $925-$1,025

Front Street Lofts           36 studio,    75 1-br,    10 2-br                             $1,516

283-291 Asylum             5 studio,        7 1-br,      4 2-br                             $950-$1,250

Sonesta                         54 studio,   125 1-br,    14 2-br                            $833-$1,800

99 Pratt                          0 studio,      27 1-br,      0 2-br                             $1,500

3 Constitution                 0 studio,      33 1-br,    16 2-br                             $825-$2,400

Capewell                       16 studio,      34 1-br,    20 2-br,   2 3-br                $1,042-$2,500

There is also a map

http://crdact.net/about_us/board_of_directors_subcommittees/housing_committee.html

http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/CRDA_Housing_Project_Map-72260-1.jpg