Providence Population Growth

cataldo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So even if we can't agree on all points....

If we:

make social programs more efficient,

end cronyism,

lower taxes for the middle class,

end frivolous red tape restricting the entrepreneurial spirit,

improve public transportation,

hide the foreclosure crisis through fines to banks for dilapitating properties,

recruit a major league team to RI,

become six sigma ninjas what ever six sigma is

wash off the gay

and become Sin City East without detracting from reputable business from locating within city limits........

Then we can attract people to Rhode Island and grow population in a healthy way... Whoever posted this topic, if we can do some of that... I think we'd make steps forward.. Its not too much, seems reasonable..

• 3 weeks later...

What do you mean by, "wash off the gay"? I know from speaking to various store owners on Westminster Street and all over downcity, that the "gays" are what keep them in business, not to mention just about everything else that keeps a city going.

So even if we can't agree on all points....

If we:

make social programs more efficient,

end cronyism,

lower taxes for the middle class,

end frivolous red tape restricting the entrepreneurial spirit,

improve public transportation,

hide the foreclosure crisis through fines to banks for dilapitating properties,

recruit a major league team to RI,

become six sigma ninjas what ever six sigma is

wash off the gay

and become Sin City East without detracting from reputable business from locating within city limits........

Then we can attract people to Rhode Island and grow population in a healthy way... Whoever posted this topic, if we can do some of that... I think we'd make steps forward.. Its not too much, seems reasonable..

lol

Gay

1 a: happily excited : merry <in a gay mood> b: keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>

What he's saying is that we need to make an effort to make Providence look more sullen and forlorn.

RI spends more per capita on fire protection than any other state in the nation. It beats the next state by something like 40% (and this was the case before the station fire). I believe that Cranston has the most firemen per capita of any municipality in America. Second? Providence. For EVERY ambulance call, a full fire truck is dispatched. EVERY SINGLE ONE, no matter what it is. Wow, that seems like a lot of petrol spent for something 2 EMT's could very easily deal with.

I agree with the consolidation of these offices, Dan. Instead of the "Supertown," would it be feasible to keep all the 39 cities/towns but have them operate under 1 common administration? This is a minor critique on eliminating western Coventry, Foster, etc. into the new name.

Regardless, it is long overdue to make the government more efficient in this manner. Cities much larger than us - NYC, Houston, etc. operate with more common sense. This should also foster accountability to office holders as well as ensure an easier way to uniformly institute changes/oversight.

I agree with the consolidation of these offices, Dan. Instead of the "Supertown," would it be feasible to keep all the 39 cities/towns but have them operate under 1 common administration? This is a minor critique on eliminating western Coventry, Foster, etc. into the new name.

This thinking is just makes TOO MUCH SENSE, and almost every more-or-less normal observer sees how we're killing ourselves with municipal redundancy. But undoing political entities isn't the kind of thing that can just be done. It's really a process of consolidation where the easiest, least contentious markets can prototype the process. Institutions with deep local cultures (like PDs) will be the slowest to bring around.

Right now, there are a number of regional initiatives like the Pawt, CF, Cumb cities trying to establish a regional education district. You've heard the same thing about Pawt, Prov and Cranston.

So far, we haven't had the big success to serve as the template.

Bottom line: this will continue to gain momentum.

i sure don't believe it will happen in my lifetime because none of the towns will be willing to relinquish their power over the school system, and the school system would never relinquish jobs. It is too bad, because i think regional works--i grew up in CT where i went to elementary school in my tiny town but went to a regional middle and high school, handling the kids from four different towns--kind of like Chariho, i guess. It makes sense. We only needed ONE high school for all the towns, but each town had its own grammar school

Archived