An Entrepreuneurial Approach to Economic Development

GRDadof3

I found this article link and thought it was very good. It was a strategy used by Littleton, Colorado to revive its dying economy in the 90's and has had startling success. It also goes back to the argument that I have had that attracting a large corporate HQ to downtown is the wrong way to go, and that hundreds of small "gazelle" companies will reap multitudes:

http://www.littletongov.org/bia/economicga...ing/default.asp

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found this article link and thought it was very good. It was a strategy used by Littleton, Colorado to revive its dying economy in the 90's and has had startling success. It also goes back to the argument that I have had that attracting a large corporate HQ to downtown is the wrong way to go, and that hundreds of small "gazelle" companies will reap multitudes:

http://www.littletongov.org/bia/economicga...ing/default.asp

I just read through it - brilliant. Very qoutable. I think their approach is spot on. I am an Entrepreneur, and have been trying to make a go of a new business for about a year now. Ups and downs, as expected, however much of my stress and mistakes could have been greatly diminished if I had some proper mentoring at a few critical points. There are many places supposedly you can turn to, some state sponsored, and otherwise, but my experiences have been pretty disappointing. I have a hard time taking advice on building a business from someone who has never been down the same road. A degree and working in a development office is no substitute for the do-or-die entrepreneurial experience. I look forward to the day when I can help cultivate somebody's raw ideas and ambition into a successful business.

To be vague, I design and develop new products for a niche industry - my last employer pulled out of the midwest, (blame the economy, blame poor planning, who cares) I thought I still had something to offer the industry, fortunately the industry has been agreeing with me so far. A door closes - a door opens, most people don't see it that way. My role was in sales and marketing - now I am a product innovator - the writer's story of the 2 miners hit close to home.

I fumbled through every step, and continue to do so, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can only hope that the current "situation" in GR and West MI as a whole will spur others to pursue that stroke of genious that keeps them awake at night - whatever it may be. I would much rather have 500 entrepreneurs taking a stab at business success, than have 2 companies shift 5000 jobs to Grand Rapids. Many will fail (some to come back stronger for another go-round) others will win and win big. I definately agree that "Innovation" is the key. And West MI with it's deep manufacturing base is not a bad place to be.

-Future "Gazelle"

• 6 months later...

On the subject of Gazelles, or "High Impact" Companies, as defined by the Small Business Administration, the Grand Rapids - Muskegon - Holland CMSA was ranked #10 in the country for large Metro Areas in a recent report:

Full Report

MSA Breakdown

1382 out of this area's 57,713 total firms earned the distinction of High Impact (Gazelles): "those whose sales at least doubled over a four-year period, and which have an employment "growth quantifier" - the firm's change in employment multiplied by the percent change - of two or more."*

*Business Review West Michigan

The next closest in Michigan was Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint at #51. Michigan as a whole ranked near the bottom at #44.

The SBA feels that tax incentives geared toward large corporations is bad policy, and not where jobs are being generated. Discuss?

Archived