New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So . . .With this new development, do you think there is still room for a more downtown located Whole Foods?

If D&W does well here, there will definitely be interest in adding similar stores to other parts of near-downtown. Now, whether that means another D&W, a scaled-down Meijer, or a Fresh Market/Whole Foods is still up in the air. Personally, I'd rather see Meijer or D&W do it. If they can make it work here, maybe they could branch out and take down the Whole Foods of the world.

I know only enough about copyright and trademark to be dangerous...So how are two different companies able to call their stores "Fresh Market"? Or is there a pending legal battle about it? I can't imagine they're each happy about the other's existence. :unsure:

Also, do people actually do their weekly shopping at the Fresh Market on 28th Street (Waterfall)?

Not unless they have big $$$. I really like that store but it is expensive, too expensive to make it a regular shopping destination. But they are the only place in GR I've been able to find the Turtle Island soups, so they suck me back in.....

So . . .With this new development, do you think there is still room for a more downtown located Whole Foods?

I don't think the demographics will be there downtown or near downtown for a Whole Foods for a long time, maybe 10+ years. I've been trying to find a Whole Foods in a medium-sized city downtown and haven't had any luck yet. I'm guessing we'll see a Whole Foods in the metro area somewhere much like Ann Arbor's, between downtown and the mall burbs.

What I can't understand is how places like Colorado Springs has two Whole Foods. They're not as big as GR and the demographics are almost identical.

But as Rhino mentioned, it definitely puts the city on D&W's radar screen (and maybe Meijer's). If it does well, they may venture into other new stores on the near West Side, or Heartside, or Monroe North area, depending on future development. It's pretty huge that D&W has decided to take this risk though. Isn't this the first new grocery store in the city in years, maybe decades?

What I can't understand is how places like Colorado Springs has two Whole Foods. They're not as big as GR and the demographics are almost identical.

Ann Arbor is getting their second Whole Foods as we speak...it's virtually on the same road as the current one, too (current - Washtenaw, second (new) - Stadium Blvd)...I'd guess less than 4 miles apart. And no, it's definitely not replacing the current one, which is also relatively new (built within last 4 years) and is a beautiful store.

I think this just shows how competitive (and saturated) the Grand Rapids grocery market is compared to other areas (the collective wealth of GR metro area easily outshines that of the Ann Arbor area).

I believe that might be related to Whole Foods buying out the Wild Oats chain. The two chains overlapped in only a couple markets, Colorado Springs being one of them. Rather than close one of the stores, they just converted the Wild Oats into a Whole Foods.

Not really sure though.

Not unless they have big $$$. I really like that store but it is expensive, too expensive to make it a regular shopping destination. But they are the only place in GR I've been able to find the Turtle Island soups, so they suck me back in.....

I've seen Turtle Island Soup around Grand Rapids somewhere, and I've never been to Waterfall.

Harvest Health or maybe Green Life on Fulton? I'll watch for it, see if I can come up with a definite answer.

I know only enough about copyright and trademark to be dangerous...So how are two different companies able to call their stores "Fresh Market"? Or is there a pending legal battle about it? I can't imagine they're each happy about the other's existence. :unsure:

Yeah, if Lexis Nexis (digital information) can protest Lexus (cars), on ground that those similar names "confuse the marketplace," why would this be in a different category? Maybe the lawyers haven't noticed yet.

I've seen Turtle Island Soup around Grand Rapids somewhere, and I've never been to Waterfall.

Harvest Health or maybe Green Life on Fulton? I'll watch for it, see if I can come up with a definite answer.

Art of the Table on Wealthy carries the Turtle Island Beer Cheddar - in case you're interested.

I do have friends here who think D&W is expensive...thus "D & Double your grocery bill".

It is more expensive. Trust me, if I could shop at D&W for my groceries and avoid the unpleasantness that is Meijer cashiers I would. It was the same in college, we had to drive to Meijer in Jenision (no Standale location at that time) instead of going to Family Fare in Allendale.

Yeah, if Lexis Nexis (digital information) can protest Lexus (cars), on ground that those similar names "confuse the marketplace," why would this be in a different category? Maybe the lawyers haven't noticed yet.

The store at Waterfall Shoppes name reflects the name of the company as a whole. D&W's name is nothing more than a marketing that describes the type of grocery store it is. In the grocery store...there is a defined difference between 'supermarket', 'grocery store', 'pharmacy', 'fresh market', 'food center', etc. Most people know and refer to D&W Fresh Market as just D&W. No one, in casual dealings, was calling it D&W Food Center back before the Spartan buy out. Personally, I think people are making too much of this whole fresh market thing...it is nothing more than a coincidence really.

We always go straight to the self-checkout lines... Wife bags, I scan. Works great!

I do the same at D&W...I agree...self-check-out is the way to go.

Speaking of confusing names: Solsun turned into Oberon (yeah, I'm a beerophile) because (supposedly) Molson was upset. Maybe that's an urban legend though.

Spartan nourishes healthy downtown

Sunday, January 27, 2008

By Nancy Crawley

The Grand Rapids Press

Mayor George Heartwell had a rare announcement in his state of the city speech -- rare not only for Grand Rapids but for Michigan.

A full-service supermarket, a D&W Fresh Market, is to be built near downtown Grand Rapids.

What's so special about that? Just try to find anyone else building a full-sized, urban grocery store in the state.

Article link

I was just saying something similar a few posts up. Although Nancy Crawley took it a step further and showed how unusual this is for Michigan.

Do you think this addition of a D&W store near DT will make the competition look more seriously at a DT store?

Thinking along the lines of Meijer...

Not necessarily. Meijer is in more of a survival mode to compete with Walmart and Super Target. I don't think that they are going to put much thought into going into a high risk venture when there are a lot of new markets in the midwest that they can move into to.

Spartan nourishes healthy downtown

Sunday, January 27, 2008

By Nancy Crawley

The Grand Rapids Press

Mayor George Heartwell had a rare announcement in his state of the city speech -- rare not only for Grand Rapids but for Michigan.

A full-service supermarket, a D&W Fresh Market, is to be built near downtown Grand Rapids.

What's so special about that? Just try to find anyone else building a full-sized, urban grocery store in the state.

Article link

I was just saying something similar a few posts up. Although Nancy Crawley took it a step further and showed how unusual this is for Michigan.

I find this mind boggling!

Where are all the anti- gentrifactioners ?????

Shouldn't they be concerned that Duthlers is moving out of their neighborhood and now lower income will not be able to afford to grocery shop near their homes anymore? Lower income can't shop at D & W's!!!! what does lower income need a full service deli for???????or high end wines and cheeses?

Duthlers is the right fit for for the current residents!!!!!

This may push lower income residers out of Michigan Street district!!!! Out of HH or Belknap or Midtown!

At least the higher end Midtown village owners have a car and could have driven to Meijers or another D & W or Martha's. (come on guys- be considerate!)

Okay, I am done playing devil's advocate.

Gentrification of anything near MM is inevitable- starting with a new grocery store.

And Duthlers belongs on Madison despite current efforts to create change.

I have always hated how Duthlers never ran sales on MILK, EGGS, CHEESE and CEREALS anyways- To WIC recievers- that doesn't matter. To middle class laborers- Milk is much more appealing at $2.89 a gallon then $3.89.

I am happy to see Duthlers GO!

AS IT SAYS IN THE ARTICLE- A GROCERS REALLY SHOWS THE SENSE OF COMMUNITY.

I THINK D & W will MATCH its FUTURE RESIDENTS!

The Buddy's site was purchased in Jan. 07 by a private individual not affiliated with the D&W site. Sheldon's parcel is also separate from the rest of the site. As much as I'd like to see it built out to the street, my guess is, based on the renderings, that the new store will take up pretty much the same footprint as Duthler's did, with the front portion being two-stories (upstairs cafe according to the article). D&W will probably argue that most of the buildings along Michigan in that area are not built to the street (it's not like Michigan St. looks like a neighborhood center like Easttown, Gaslight Village or East Fulton) and that they should be exempt from much of the new zoning code. And based on Heartwell's excitement for the project, I don't think they're going to put up much of a fight, unfortunately.

So based on that, here's my edumacated guess as to what the site plan will look like:

2207169651_059789c338_o.jpg

It'd be unfortunate if so, because this store could set the tone for future development up and down Michigan St. There are a lot of obsolete buildings and vacant land that would make for nice infill.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the planning commission agendas.

The private person who purchased the site in Jan 2007 was the owner of the Buddy's.

Unfortunately, they couldn't stay open. As FLOYDZ has stated- there wasn't usually ever more then one car in the drive thru during 30 minute periods. I ate there a few times- but wondered how they would survive with hot and ready places as there competition.

Maybe D & W will do two separate stores? THere main store being on Michigan Street and a VIneyards style where the current Buddy's is? That would make more sense- as they really want to cater to the people that leave the MM after work and a left turn behind Sheldon isn't that turn friendly. Just a thought.

I find this mind boggling!

Where are all the anti- gentrifactioners ?????

Shouldn't they be concerned that Duthlers is moving out of their neighborhood and now lower income will not be able to afford to grocery shop near their homes anymore? Lower income can't shop at D & W's!!!! what does lower income need a full service deli for???????or high end wines and cheeses?

Duthlers is the right fit for for the current residents!!!!!

This may push lower income residers out of Michigan Street district!!!! Out of HH or Belknap or Midtown!

At least the higher end Midtown village owners have a car and could have driven to Meijers or another D & W or Martha's. (come on guys- be considerate!)

Okay, I am done playing devil's advocate.

Gentrification of anything near MM is inevitable- starting with a new grocery store.

And Duthlers belongs on Madison despite current efforts to create change.

I have always hated how Duthlers never ran sales on MILK, EGGS, CHEESE and CEREALS anyways- To WIC recievers- that doesn't matter. To middle class laborers- Milk is much more appealing at $2.89 a gallon then $3.89.

I am happy to see Duthlers GO!

AS IT SAYS IN THE ARTICLE- A GROCERS REALLY SHOWS THE SENSE OF COMMUNITY.

I THINK D & W will MATCH its FUTURE RESIDENTS!

I think you'll find that most people here are not "anti-gentrification". In fact, you should search the archives for backlash against the homeless in Heartside. Most people here want Grand Rapids to be developed much moreso then it is now, but with quality in mind with heavy emphasis toward pedestrian friendly and walkable elements (UrbanPlanet positive feedback credits redeemable with the city's planning commission BTW).

Glad you're enjoying the discussions!

Ok, if you want Whole Foods in Grand Rapids, here's your chance:

STARBUCKS TRIBAL KNOWLEDGE

John Moore made his mark in the marketing world by creating, championing, and implementing marketing ideas and branding ideals for global giant Starbucks Coffee, a leading example for branding practitioners of any discipline.

At this month

Archived