New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this mind boggling!

Where are all the anti- gentrifactioners ?????

Shouldn't they be concerned that Duthlers is moving out of their neighborhood and now lower income will not be able to afford to grocery shop near their homes anymore? Lower income can't shop at D & W's!!!! what does lower income need a full service deli for???????or high end wines and cheeses?

Duthlers is the right fit for for the current residents!!!!!

This may push lower income residers out of Michigan Street district!!!! Out of HH or Belknap or Midtown!

At least the higher end Midtown village owners have a car and could have driven to Meijers or another D & W or Martha's. (come on guys- be considerate!)

Okay, I am done playing devil's advocate.

Gentrification of anything near MM is inevitable- starting with a new grocery store.

And Duthlers belongs on Madison despite current efforts to create change.

I have always hated how Duthlers never ran sales on MILK, EGGS, CHEESE and CEREALS anyways- To WIC recievers- that doesn't matter. To middle class laborers- Milk is much more appealing at $2.89 a gallon then $3.89.

I am happy to see Duthlers GO!

AS IT SAYS IN THE ARTICLE- A GROCERS REALLY SHOWS THE SENSE OF COMMUNITY.

I THINK D & W will MATCH its FUTURE RESIDENTS!

It's probably really late of me to add this but I think that people are under the impression that the "Fresh Market" is going to be a mega-version of Harvest Health.

It's still going to be a regular grocery, with all the regular and discount brands that you find in any D&W. This company is not putting down all of this money to build an organic food store for a few people who are way to high on themselves, when they have thousands of people living nearby that are looking for the standard fare. So there is no issues of "gentrification" as I'm sure they will still take Bridge Cards and W.I.C. too.

I'm not sure what "I THINK D & W will MATCH its FUTURE RESIDENTS" means. Last time I was at a D&W I didn't recall an social status/income check as a requirement for entrance.

It's probably really late of me to add this but I think that people are under the impression that the "Fresh Market" is going to be a mega-version of Harvest Health.

It's still going to be a regular grocery, with all the regular and discount brands that you find in any D&W. This company is not putting down all of this money to build an organic food store for a few people who are way to high on themselves, when they have thousands of people living nearby that are looking for the standard fare. So there is no issues of "gentrification" as I'm sure they will still take Bridge Cards and W.I.C. too.

I'm not sure what "I THINK D & W will MATCH its FUTURE RESIDENTS" means. Last time I was at a D&W I didn't recall an social status/income check as a requirement for entrance.

No, we already discussed in this thread what the definition of a "D&W Fresh Market is". As far as the rest, I do tend to think there is a certain "snobbery" that goes along with Whole Foods. That's probably why they only set up shop in very high household income areas.

It's still going to be a regular grocery, with all the regular and discount brands that you find in any D&W.

In fact, by definition it is a regular D&W. All D&Ws are called "D&W Fresh Market," and this one will be no exception.

That said, D&W is by far the nicest local grocery nameplate in the area. It is, by Spartan's definition, a step up from Family Fare.

I'm sure this will be one heck of an addition to that corner...cause for celebration indeed when you consider what's there now.

When i got all excited i thought it was going to be a Fresh Market. Not a D&W Fresh Market. Not as excited now.

organic food store for a few people who are way to high on themselves

Excuse me? There is nothing wrong with people wanting to know what has been put on their food or in their food. Wanting to eat food that is not going to give me cancer does not make me a snob, it makes me healthy.

if I find an article - there are some studies that show just how much organic foods are better - especially fruits and veggies that are sprayed with pesticides. I have switched to organic a couple months ago and I think the foods taste even better. Whole Foods would be a huge step into the organics for those in town who are having a hard time picking through meijer's one-rack section of organic fruits/veggies.

I'm sure there's other organic places in GR - but come on - I live in Greenville for goodness sake :lol: ...I need to change that. This town is boring.

But to bring things back on topic - despite the name - I think this grocery store is going to do wonders for DT and it will definitely be the trend-setter for more things to come.

From my understanding and observations, a D&W Fresh Market has a great organic selection. Yes, they have Spartan brand items and accept WIC and Bridge Cards, but they are very comparable to a Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I don't get everybody's infatuation with these two store names. Why does it have to be a Trader Joes or Whole Foods? Personally, I'd rather spend my money on local organic and fresh foods--not on foods imported from all corners of the earth at stores HQ'd outside of West Michigan.

Can you at least say when we might hear an announcement? :whistling:

Haha! :) No one knows when they can make announcements. 9 times out of 10 it gets leaked out prematurely, or appears on the city's docket for approval.

Don't worry about it Floyd Z if it will jeopardize anything.

From my understanding and observations, a D&W Fresh Market has a great organic selection. Yes, they have Spartan brand items and accept WIC and Bridge Cards, but they are very comparable to a Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I don't get everybody's infatuation with these two store names. Why does it have to be a Trader Joes or Whole Foods? Personally, I'd rather spend my money on local organic and fresh foods--not on foods imported from all corners of the earth at stores HQ'd outside of West Michigan.

Amen brutha.

It's amazing to me how many people I know (in real life, not here) are "buy local, eat local, drive a prius" types (like me actually) but then turn right around and bemoan the lack of Whole Foods and/or Trader Joes.

I routinely make fun of them by saying "buy local...unless it's cool."

Amen brutha.

It's amazing to me how many people I know (in real life, not here) are "buy local, eat local, drive a prius" types (like me actually) but then turn right around and bemoan the lack of Whole Foods and/or Trader Joes.

..and get their coffee at Starbucks. :whistling:

Honestly, I can't stand Biggby's coffee. I also wonder if Biggby will sustain its growth. I've been to Biggby's (Beaners) dozens of times, and I'm either the only person, or one of a small number of people in the store. I never encounter that at Starbucks.

Joe

Maybe those stores should do a switch and go with Michigan HQ'd Beaners/Bigby's.

That's fine with me Joe, but I don't 100% subscribe to buying everything local. I'm talking about the rabid localists who buy national chain coffee. :thumbsup:

In reality you can't buy everything local because last time i checked, we don't grow coffee beans in Michigan. If you need that cup of java go some place that sells true free trade coffee, life global infusion.

The best coffee in town can be found at Kava House, Ferris, or Global Infusion in my opinion. I think D&W carries Ferris stuff too.

Great minds think alike, Global Infusion and Kava House are my favorites by far.

Speaking of the Fresh Market though...I'd love something close to downtown more similar to Whole Foods. I miss Whole Foods...I used to live 5 minutes away from one and work was across the street from home so it was great.

Honestly, I can't stand Biggby's coffee. I also wonder if Biggby will sustain its growth. I've been to Biggby's (Beaners) dozens of times, and I'm either the only person, or one of a small number of people in the store. I never encounter that at Starbucks.

The coffee business is highly lucrative (selling a pennies-costing product for several dollars), and perhaps the long lines at **$$ help boost BB's business. It's not like they are selling a product one buys once a year or lifetime.

BB seems to have smaller footprints and perhaps less overhead. I would think that their advertising expenses are much less than **$$.

BB also seems to have a line of go-cups and deals on the daily refill, which brings 'em back, builds loyalty, provides the opportunity for upselling.

The coffee business is highly lucrative (selling a pennies-costing product for several dollars), and perhaps the long lines at **$$ help boost BB's business. It's not like they are selling a product one buys once a year or lifetime.

BB seems to have smaller footprints and perhaps less overhead. I would think that their advertising expenses are much less than **$$.

BB also seems to have a line of go-cups and deals on the daily refill, which brings 'em back, builds loyalty, provides the opportunity for upselling.

Is this a coffee blog or a D&W blog??? Lets see how to bring it back....

oh yes D&W sells Ferris coffee, hey speaking of D&W how about that new store downtown. I am excited about it hopefully it will spur more developement and renovations at the bottom. Then the bottom of the hill and the top will continue to renovate and develop till they come together.

Is this a coffee blog or a D&W blog??? Lets see how to bring it back....

oh yes D&W sells Ferris coffee, hey speaking of D&W how about that new store downtown. I am excited about it hopefully it will spur more developement and renovations at the bottom. Then the bottom of the hill and the top will continue to renovate and develop till they come together.

I agree. I think that the section of Michigan between Fuller and College could be a good place for a "downtown" bicycle shop. Preferably it would be accessible by one of the side streets so that riding on Michigan St. would not be required to get there.

I live just off Union by Martha's Vineyard. I was just looking at all of the Village Bike Locations and there is not a single one of their 5 or 6 shops that's less than 7 miles from my house. The one near 44th and K-zoo was closer than that, but they just moved it out by K-zoo and M-6.

The two closest shops are Alger on 28th and Buchanan and Freewheeler on Leonard near Alpine. I can ride or drive to both of those relatively easily, but neither are what I'd call convenient.

Sorry to get slightly off-topic. But one of the reasons I'm excited about this new store is that I think if it draws traffic it could spur other retail growth in that area.

Already I'll be able to hit up my grocery shopping and hardware store trip on one shot.

Joe

Well I've never been to one of the GR locations, but if you want to see a busy Beaners (they will always be Beaners to me) stop in at their Grand River location in East Lansing. That location was open 24 hours a day and always seemed to be packed, even in the summer when much of East Lansing feels like a ghost town. The times I went there it was normally hard to find a seat, I remember drinking coffee outside in the winter because it was packed inside.

Anyway, about D&W. When I first saw the headline in the paper about a downtown grocery store I was geeked, but then I read the location and thought "That's not downtown!" I'm glad they are replacing the store currently there, but right now I'm more interested in that rumor that someone else is looking to open up a downtown grocery. I just hope that one is actually downtown, or at least closer.

Archived