New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

Well I've never been to one of the GR locations, but if you want to see a busy Beaners (they will always be Beaners to me) stop in at their Grand River location in East Lansing. That location was open 24 hours a day and always seemed to be packed, even in the summer when much of East Lansing feels like a ghost town. The times I went there it was normally hard to find a seat, I remember drinking coffee outside in the winter because it was packed inside.

Anyway, about D&W. When I first saw the headline in the paper about a downtown grocery store I was geeked, but then I read the location and thought "That's not downtown!" I'm glad they are replacing the store currently there, but right now I'm more interested in that rumor that someone else is looking to open up a downtown grocery. I just hope that one is actually downtown, or at least closer.

I wonder if EQ3's building would work as a grocery store. What's the square footage of that building again?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I was told not to tell anyone, I wouldn't want to get anyones hopes up or ruin the project. There is a location already chosen and they are in talks. Hopefully it will go through.

Floyd, does your news deal with "Two East Fulton" in the GRBJ today? Here is a quote from the article:

"Tol said he wants to complete the renovation by August, the month the bank wants to move into the building. He also said he was trying to fill the remaining space with a grocery store.... First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak felt that would be a good use for the building.

Jendrasiak didn

Floyd, does your news deal with "Two East Fulton" in the GRBJ today? Here is a quote from the article:

"Tol said he wants to complete the renovation by August, the month the bank wants to move into the building. He also said he was trying to fill the remaining space with a grocery store.... First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak felt that would be a good use for the building.

Jendrasiak didn

• 4 weeks later...

The closing of Duthler Store a bitter sweet to me. I live down the way and I have gotten to know the staff however I love the salad bar and bakery at the D&W on Breton and Burton. Where are we going to get our Hog Maws? :thumbsup:

Duthler's on Madison? :)

I head that Rylee's might move to a new location as a result of this development.

If that's the case, they are going to have quite a bit of room on that site (minus the Checker's (?) and the dry cleaners). I hope it's not just for more parking.

2316352349_737ff2e4b4_o.jpg

If that's the case, they are going to have quite a bit of room on that site (minus the Checker's (?) and the dry cleaners). I hope it's not just for more parking.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me for them to use that layout unless they are able to acquire the Checkers property as well (as well as the auto repair garage at the back of the Ace property). I'd love to see the dry cleaners bought, too, so that the new store can front the Michigan / Fuller corner, and perhaps incorporate the dry cleaners into the new D&W building. Just a personal wish :)

Rylee's is a fairly popular neighborhood hardware store - if them moving is more than just a rumor, hopefully they stay close by. Problem for many businesses of this type (high volume / low margin) is that in order to survive, they typically have to own their own building and have to keep overhead to a minimum. With the slow exansion of Medical Mile up Michigan Ave, they might already be priced out of this area of town due to land costs / rents, which would be a shame.

Rumor is Rylees is moving to the old National Guard site.

My guess is D&W bought the property for access. They'll need a light somewhere because that location is so hard to get in and out of if trying to make a left.

Rumor is Rylees is moving to the old National Guard site.

My guess is D&W bought the property for access. They'll need a light somewhere because that location is so hard to get in and out of if trying to make a left.

Where is the old National Guard site? I hope it is close, Rylee's is a real time saver for little things that need fixing for tenants.

Where is the old National Guard site? I hope it is close, Rylee's is a real time saver for little things that need fixing for tenants.

If I remember right, it's not too far from where they are now, on the southeast corner of Michigan and Fuller just east of the Speedway and carwash.

If I remember right, it's not too far from where they are now, on the southeast corner of Michigan and Fuller just east of the Speedway and carwash.

Isn't it the site where the armory was torn down, and has had a sign for a new office building to be built for a while (1234 Michigan St. maybe?).

Isn't it the site where the armory was torn down, and has had a sign for a new office building to be built for a while (1234 Michigan St. maybe?).

I think DeVos construction has had a sign up there with a picture of an office building for close to two (if not more) years now. It's an eyesore, so having a new Ace Hardware on that spot would be a nice fit.

It's really close- just east of Fuller and on the South side of the street (next to the car wash). It would make sense for them as they already have their repair shop in another building across the street (which has to be inconvenient), and parking can be difficult, especially when you are trying to make a quick dash for something.

Rylee's is one of the busiest independent hardware's I've seen. I'm sure they'd have no problem transitioning to a new location.

Joe

I think DeVos construction has had a sign up there with a picture of an office building for close to two (if not more) years now. It's an eyesore, so having a new Ace Hardware on that spot would be a nice fit.

I just hope that if they move, the new building would not be like a suburban store far from the street and dominated by parking. Michigan Ave is kind of at a crossroads right now, with all the new construction to have the opportunity to remake it more of the urban street that it is.

Be assured that if needed Spartan would probably be more than willing to put up the money to re-locate whoever they needed to get this done.

-In order to build their new Allendale store on the Allendale Christian School site, they build them an entirely new school.

-The are currently funding a brand new YMCA in Byron Center

-The donated enough money to the new Metropolitan Hospital to have the child birth center named after them

-They were willing to construct a brand new state of the art Little League facility in Georgetown so they could build a store where the current fields sit (no new developments have occurred on this front)

(as well as the auto repair garage at the back of the Ace property).

I had always heards that the garage has an easement right thru the Rylees parking lot that provided for a permanent easement. That garage always is busy so I wonder if they would be open to selling?

Archived