New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be assured that if needed Spartan would probably be more than willing to put up the money to re-locate whoever they needed to get this done.

-In order to build their new Allendale store on the Allendale Christian School site, they build them an entirely new school.

-The are currently funding a brand new YMCA in Byron Center

-The donated enough money to the new Metropolitan Hospital to have the child birth center named after them

-They were willing to construct a brand new state of the art Little League facility in Georgetown so they could build a store where the current fields sit (no new developments have occurred on this front)

Those are all charitable relocations.

Rylee's, Checker's and the garage behind Rylee's aren't charities.

That said, as long as Rylee's is still close by, I'll be happy. I think I just about live there from May to September. We call that place Gardening, Glue, Guns and Grills!

(as well as the auto repair garage at the back of the Ace property).

I had always heard that the garage has an easement right thru the Rylees parking lot that provided for a permanent easement. That garage always is busy so I wonder if they would be open to selling?

I believe that the garage owns all of Rylee's parking and Rylee's actually has no parking. I think they rent the lot from Tamminga's Garage.

I believe that the garage owns all of Rylee's parking and Rylee's actually has no parking. I think they rent the lot from Tamminga's Garage.

Since the first word of this project, I wondered how it would affect Tamminga's. I piggishly, didn't want to even mention them here, for fear that they would become so busy that I wouldn't be able to get an appointment when I need them. A concern was that if forced to move, they might just decide to close shop. It's sooo nice to have businesses that one can trust and auto repair places are a category I've a difficult time getting to that trust. Glad to hear they have resources beyond what I guessed.

BTW - I liked Duthlers and will miss them. :P I hope this area has room for diversity.

Maybe it'll be the first grocery store with an attached parking ramp! :lol:

They could always put the parking on the roof, like this store in Sacramento. I remember seeing a Staples store there like like. Not sure if this is it or not. I can't really make out the name on the sign.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

Or they could put it underneath, like this Safeway store in Ft. Collins, CO.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

They could always put the parking on the roof, like this store in Sacramento. I remember seeing a Staples store there like like. Not sure if this is it or not. I can't really make out the name on the sign.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

Or they could put it underneath, like this Safeway store in Ft. Collins, CO.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

The Whole Foods in Evanston also has rooftop parking.

Apparently the swap of Family Fare to Duthler's is complete already

Also the article has this update on the new D&W store:

The 56-year-old building will be razed and replaced with an $8 million, 40,000-square-foot flagship D&W Fresh Market store. Spartan will lease the land from the Duthler family.

Spartan, of Byron Township, is continuing its environmental studies of the site and working with city planners on site development issues, said Jeanne Norcross, company spokeswoman.

The goal is to create "a state-of-the-art urban supermarket able to serve the neighborhood and be a destination location for commuters to and from downtown Grand Rapids," she said.

Apparently the swap of Family Fare to Duthler's is complete already

Also the article has this update on the new D&W store:

The 56-year-old building will be razed and replaced with an $8 million, 40,000-square-foot flagship D&W Fresh Market store. Spartan will lease the land from the Duthler family.

Spartan, of Byron Township, is continuing its environmental studies of the site and working with city planners on site development issues, said Jeanne Norcross, company spokeswoman.

The goal is to create "a state-of-the-art urban supermarket able to serve the neighborhood and be a destination location for commuters to and from downtown Grand Rapids," she said.

The fact that they are referring to it as an 'urban supermarket' and are working with the city in terms of development is at least somewhat comforting that it won't be just a big box store.

The fact that they are referring to it as an 'urban supermarket' and are working with the city in terms of development is at least somewhat comforting that it won't be just a big box store.

Yes, I just hope they know what urban means and aren't just throwing it around to sound cool.

Can someone explain why they will be leasing the land from the Duthler family instead of buying it themselves? Is it because the Duthlers wouldn't sell because they think the medical developments will lead to increased value of their property, or is it in case D&W ever closed that location Sparten wouldn't be the ones stuck with the vacant land?

Also, anyone know when the old store will be gone? Soon I'd guess.

Yes, I just hope they know what urban means and aren't just throwing it around to sound cool.

Can someone explain why they will be leasing the land from the Duthler family instead of buying it themselves? Is it because the Duthlers wouldn't sell because they think the medical developments will lead to increased value of their property, or is it in case D&W ever closed that location Sparten wouldn't be the ones stuck with the vacant land?

Also, anyone know when the old store will be gone? Soon I'd guess.

I would guess that the Duthler's would want to hang on to it in hopes that the value will continue to increase. Then they can decide at any point whether they want to sell it to Spartan at a price higher than it would be right now or sell it to someone else if the D&W somehow is a bust.

I wonder if EQ3's building would work as a grocery store. What's the square footage of that building again?

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....0&C=&B=

Says there it's 10000 sq ft. For comparison the average ALDI grocery store is 15,000 to 24,000 sq ft. You could probably provide Produce, Meats, Staples, and maybe a small deli, but not much more.

Still a worthy try if you ask me.

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....0&C=&B=

Says there it's 10000 sq ft. For comparison the average ALDI grocery store is 15,000 to 24,000 sq ft. You could probably provide Produce, Meats, Staples, and maybe a small deli, but not much more.

Still a worthy try if you ask me.

10,000 feet is really too small for any conventional supermarket. It could work though if you were looking to open up just a traditional dry goods grocery store. What America needs in the worse way is for one of its domestic grocery retailers to follow the formula of the British grocery chain Tesco. Who operate stores of several different sizes ranging from small urban stores no bigger than a 7-11 which provide the grocery basics to big box chains. I believe Tesco just recently began constructing and operating several stores of the former's nature out west. Large scale grocers like Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. are going to be forced to follow suit if it is (hopefully) successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_%26_Easy

Wow...look at that logo...I think Spartan Stores could make a pretty good case in court for copyright infringement.

This was mentioned as a possibility a few pages back, but Rylee's does have preliminary plans to vacate their current building which adjacent to the new D&W Fresh Market store. Rylee's will be moving their store onto the old armory site. Here is a link to their new retail center plan at that location. Looks like there will be an entrance off of both Michigan and Fuller. Redstone Group is handling the project design. There is going to be a meeting on April 24th at Mayfair Church for Fulton Heights area residents to discuss this move with representatives from both Rylee's and Redstone.

I hope that the Ace building doesn't get "lost" on the back of that property...they have a prime viewing location now, being right up to the street at the current location. With the car wash and office building covering the sides and the retail up front, might be hidden a bit (I'm sure this has been considered, though).

Glad they are staying in the area, too!

This was mentioned as a possibility a few pages back, but Rylee's does have preliminary plans to vacate their current building which adjacent to the new D&W Fresh Market store. Rylee's will be moving their store onto the old armory site. Here is a link to their new retail center plan at that location. Looks like there will be an entrance off of both Michigan and Fuller. Redstone Group is handling the project design. There is going to be a meeting on April 24th at Mayfair Church for Fulton Heights area residents to discuss this move with representatives from both Rylee's and Redstone.

I like it! Thanks for posting the plans Par75.

I'm a little disappointed that Rylee's new digs didn't put the parking behind the building. But I guess we can't everything we want. I hope the flagship D&W does a better job with their parking though.

The neighborhood association and Redstone Group are soliciting feedback in a meeting on April 24. You should go and share your opinion about parking.

Quote:

Rylee's Ace Hardware is looking to move into the old the Army Reserve Armory site. The have preliminary plans for creating a new bigger store, improved parking and additional retail spaces. Click here to look a preliminary plan. In a combined meeting between Heritage Hill, Michigan Street Business Association and FHNA, Rylee's sought and received feedback on their plans from each board. Leading the project design is the Redstone Group which has design many Ace retail locations recently. We are inviting Rylee's and RedStone to present their current plans to our membership in the upcoming Spring Membership meeting on April 24th. Click here to see their initial plans, then please send us your thoughts... [email protected]

Source:

http://www.fultonheights.org/

The meeting location isn't large enough to invite all of grand rapids...

Of course it's not. Should we have these types of meetings at the Van Andel so everyone from Wyoming can come and weigh in with comments?

Frankly, I think it's nice that private business is asking anyone for opinions about what to do with private property.

Archived