Blighted Neighborhhoods

tombarnes

Jackson Attempts to Address Blighted Neighborhoods

One of Frank Melton's biggest campaign promises was that he would eliminate the growing number of abandoned buildings in many neighborhoods across the city. While this is necessary in many cases, the program has been sporadic and there is not adequate funding to carry through with the program. The removal of one dilapidated motel, the former La Quinta Inn near Highway 80, will cost the city the majority of its demolition budget. Furthermore, the removal of blighted nbuildings must be done with caution- particularly in cases where these buildings are in a putative historic district- i.e. Farish Street. While slum clearance is necessary, it appears that the city does not have the resources nor the organizational ability to get the job done properly.

The Clarion-Ledger

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the Mayor is going to have to find funds then if he is going to keep this promise. Did he ever talk about how he would secure funding to accomplish this goal, or was it just a vague promise that has now met reality?

If he really wants to accomplish this, there would be a number of means to secure the funds; ranging from the establishment of dedicated tax/charge on utilities and/or new construction permits, or trying to carve out the funding from other city budgets. Either route would take courage and the careful use of political skill ....from what I have read I have my doubts Mayor Melton has the political capital to secure funding by either method.

Mr. Melton appears to be "all hat and no cattle" as far as action is concerned. I think he's exhausted most of his political capital, though it's my understanding that he intends to run again. As for paying for the demolitions, I have seen no evidence of a plan of any sort, much less a workable one.

Archived