Euro-esque U.S. Cities?

Just a note that there were notions of the garden city before the 1888 book, Looking Backward:

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-05. garden city, in city planning an ideal, self-contained community of predetermined area and population surrounded by a greenbelt. As formulated by Sir Ebenezer Howard, the garden city was intended to bring together the economic and cultural advantages of both city and country living, with land ownership vested in the community, while at the same time discouraging metropolitan sprawl and industrial centralization. The garden city was foreshadowed in the writings of Robert Owen, Charles Fourier, and James Silk Buckingham, and in the planned industrial communities of Saltaire (1851), Bournville (1879), and Port Sunlight (1887) in England. The term garden city was introduced in Howard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something very similar to Mairemont in the Philly suburb of Ardmore called English Village. In this case, however there are only houses, mostly in the mock Tudor style with attatched artists' studios. I think the overall effect is nice, although it is still very suburban.

I went through Cincinnatti on a road trip too...went to Mt. Adams, Over the Rhine, Mansionette for lunch when it's almost affordable (did they actually move out to the suburbs? I heard a rumor about that when I was there) and the German section of Covington, KY. I was really impressed, downtown has some shopping, a huge library and a big old used bookstore. Covington was nice too. I was there for First Friday and there was alot of energy even at night. Mairemont is probably too cute to live in, but it is very very cute.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to have to say Park Slope, Prospect Heights, South Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights (to an extent, outside the major CBD). While all these areas are still very New York City, there are some very strong european influences brought about by the immigrants that have inhabited the area for the past couple centuries. I just moved to brooklyn, 2 weeks ago today, and one of the most interesting thing I've noticed is a tudor influence here and there, even my building has a tudor flair to it. n39600607_32958560_2380.jpg

heres another interesting example of tudor architecture in brooklyn.

n39600607_32959049_7215.jpg

Archived