Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tombarnes

Photo of the Day- Washington/Baltimore Metro

48 posts in this topic

Construction photo of the 22 West Condominium building in the West End. I will follow up with more pictures. It's nearly finished by now. This was taken last summer. Bear with me as I get used to this photo thing.....

561667155_c12520c0ed_m.jpg"

This should be a good idea. I think you might want to enlarge the photos however.

Still tinkering with Flickr....The photo was taken with a cell phone, so it's probably not worth enlarging anyway. I have taken some new ones on my digital camera. but it may be a few days before I can get them uploaded. If you have any photos you'd like to submit to the daily photo thread, please do so.

Here's a quick picture of some of the condo's around Reston Town Center. Sorry for the quality, I snapped this as I was driving by:

100_0948.jpg

Shot of the new Westin Hotel in Reston. Not exactly exciting.

100_0946.jpg

276708398_02d722eee8.jpg

More from the Reston Heights project, this is the Mercer Condominums. Seen to the far right in the photo above

Very Nice. I need to learn to take pictures with more clarity and better lighting like your own.

Thanks, one of my tricks is shooting in the few hours before and after sunset. Plus taking lots of pictures, even of the same subject, and only selecting the best one.

2138272805_dc03fc6252.jpg

Another of JBGs faux urban projects, this one is Woodland Park in Herndon. It features a Haris Teeter, cleverly disguises a parking garage and pretty much follows new urbanism standards. It's a five minute walk from the future Herndon Monroe station.

Yeah, they did a pretty good job with that project. Here is a picture I took as I was driving by last week.

100_0942.jpg

They are doing some more apartment-enclosed parking garages on the Dulles side of Sunrise Valley. They left one side open however.

100_0936.jpg

2268506946_40d1b6aab1.jpg

The Christian Heurich Mansion near Dupont Circle

oh god, those apartments around the parking garage look awful, they really did have the opportunity, like pretty much every other development around here, to not put up some neo-eclectic piece of junk, and of course they took the cheap, easy route. And while i'm also extremely sick of the design of new-urbanist developments (they can be pedestrian-friendly and innovative in terms of architecture at the same time), i guess it adds something to the non-existent street life of Herndon...I really hope that soon, this new-urbanism fad passes by, and we can concentrate on putting our money and effort towards redeveloping our real urban areas, not creating more disney-fied development...

Lets focus on Suburban Maryland for a bit :) Here is the Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg.

1122282-R1-051-24.jpg

1122282-R1-045-21.jpg

100_1167.jpg

2268506680_f6eaa44189.jpg

The Blaine-Westinghouse Mansion on Massachusetts Avenue near Dupont Circle

Once the residence of James G. Blaine and later home to George Westinghouse, the building is now being renovated into condominium apartments. The addition in the foreground was added in the 1920's and was once the A&P grocery store. In later years, the addition housed a hardware store and a bicycle shop. The addition will most likely house some sort of restaurant (rumors have it that it will be a Belgian bakery cafe). An addition is being built on the left side of the photograph- more condos I assume. There may be office space as well. The building's exterior will be restored as closely as possible- this will include the restoration and reconstruction of several chimneys. If you can believe it, several of them are missing.

2268506820_d3e191b301.jpg

Connecticut Avenue near Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C.

More from my neighborhood...Those aren't empty storefronts. The space has been taken over by PNC Bank.

2362680978_7a20b91d68.jpg

The National Geographic Society on 16th Street, Washington, D.C.

2390856381_4ac9ed0be2.jpg

22 West Condominium under construction

Looking north on 21st Street

2391687684_97e34a0842.jpg

Candidate for Washington's ugliest building?

The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service

21st and L Streets, N.W.

I didn't see a Baltimore photo thread so hopefully it's okay if I post them here. These are from last month on my first visit to the city.

2534374860_662f1d62f0_b.jpg

2508359471_1612a7572a_b.jpg

2512506034_a0ce421293_b.jpg

2512718136_9dfa1fc906_b.jpg

I was wondering around alone for a few hours on a Saturday trying to get to know the area is well as I could in such a short amount of time. I stubled upon this hidden community. The friend I was visiting had no idea what I was talking about when I told her about it.

2513008232_30e7375bbb_b.jpg

2513112486_b690f70e87_b.jpg

2528508094_d4532b8370_b.jpg

I took a lot more just I don't want to make my post too big.

Terrific photos! I'll even change the name of the thread too! Keep them coming!