Savannah Economy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

VW may build plant in Pooler

Georgia is, yet again, in the running for a major automobile factory, with Germany's Volkswagen AG eyeing the oft-jilted town of Pooler outside Savannah. Volkswagen has narrowed its selection to Pooler and a site near Charleston, S.C., a German automotive magazine reported last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Articles on the incident

Last Thursday, the Imperial Sugar refinery in suburban Port Wentworth exploded (known to locals as Savannah Foods or Dixie Crystals), killing 6 so far, with 2 still missing. About 20 employees are in the Augusta burn unit, and many more in local hospitals. This is the largest industrial accident in Savannah since the Powell-Duffryn explosion in 1995.

In the near future, discussions will be held to determine if it's viable to rebuild the plant. With depressed sugar prices, and way cheaper foreign imports, as well as the little kept secret that Port Wentworth wants to sell off the old part of the city to the GPA for port expansion, I have this feeling that the plant will not reopen, leaving several hundred without jobs (not to mention the lawsuits that are surely about to come down the pike).

Does anyone have any thoughts or predictions on the future of Dixie Crystals?

the CEO of the Sugar Plant, already has stated that engineer's are already planning out the ways to fix the plant as we speak, they will reopen the plant, its great location for them, and they talked about when that plant open in 1915, and how they wanted to celebrate their 100th year in savannah.. which is great news, alot of these companys, that are hear, will stick around, they see the growth of the ports and they know it could be beneficial too there company at some point to be apart of one of the nations busiest ports....

• 1 year later...

Finally jobs are coming to the much discussed 119-acre site in Pooler. Mitsubishi will build a new manufacturing plant to make advanced steam and gas turbines creating 500 jobs. In an earlier article, the Business Chronicle reported that they would be primarily engineering jobs in the $80,000 range. This is a HUGE get for Savannah's economy particularly in the current turmoil.

Mitsubishi plant to bring 500 jobs to GA

• 2 months later...

This came about a week ago, but here goes...

Phase 5 of the Truman Parkway will FINALLY get the funding it so badly needed. Construction will begin summer 2010 and should be completed in 2013. :thumbsup:

Truman Parkway gets $128 million green light

PS: I have been on and off UrbanPlanet for the past year or two and I finally registered as a member... this being post numero uno.

I will try and post as much information on Savannah's economy that I can get my hands on!

Archived