Two new restaurant Chains Come to GR

Sonic is finally coming to Grand Rapids. For all of us who have traveled south and experienced the glory that is Sonic, this is a happy day to finally have one of our own. Also another chain called Spicy Pickle seems to be making its way into the GR market as well. Good for the city, not good for my waist line!

Restaurants make move to Michigan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully they keep these things out in the 'burbs, and allow the one-off local restaurants to continue to serve the city-eating crowd.

I did note in the article that the local franchiser of Panera restaurants is seriously looking at putting a location downtown GR...while I normally like to see "unique" offerings go in downtown, a place with the reputation like a Panera (which also has a very solid following at it's stores in the suburbs) might actually help downtown gain more visibility, especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings / afternoons.

I've not ever been to a Spicy Pickle so I guess I can't comment if Im excited or not for that... Sonic will be fun. I've always saw ads on TV and wondered why since there are none in the area.

I wonder why Johnny's Lunch didn't get the same coverage? I suppose since its already has other Michigan locations.

I have also heard of a Chipotle locating a store in the GR area, while like Johnny's Lunch, not new to MI but to WMich.

I guess Im still looking for California Pizza Kitchen, PF Chang's and Ruth's Chris to locate in the city (in terms of chain restaurants).

YES!!!! SONIC IS THE BEST EVAR!!!

I went there constantly when I lived in raleigh - the store was right on the edge of downtown - it needs some room - so I doubt it will be anywhere extreme downtown but on the edge of it.

Spicy Pickle has some good food too!

Big wins for GR - they usually go to detroit first.

Different than Schnitz, but it's hard to say which is better. Cherry is more of a "gourmet deli" and you end up paying almost $10 for a sandwich (but they're massive!). The actual product from Cherry is probably better, but I can't justify spending that much money on a soup and sandwich all the time. Dollar-for-dollar I'd say they're equally awesome.

YES!!!! SONIC IS THE BEST EVAR!!!

I went there constantly when I lived in raleigh - the store was right on the edge of downtown - it needs some room - so I doubt it will be anywhere extreme downtown but on the edge of it.

Spicy Pickle has some good food too!

Big wins for GR - they usually go to detroit first.

Archived