Two new restaurant Chains Come to GR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry all you Sonic fans but having lived in several locales where Sonic thrives I can verify that it is not good news that Sonic is expanding to GR. The target demo is low income (why do you think they're expanding to MI?), the roller-skates exist only in select locations (my experience has been some pants-saggin' teenager schlepping the food out on foot), and really, it's just fast-food, which we all know is just barely food. Right?

I should introduce myself here. I grew up in GR, was educated at UM Ann Arbor and then left the state. Currently live in Albuquerque, NM after stints in San Francisco and New Orleans. I monitor this post often as I'm getting ready to have a kid and have always thought about relocating back to GR to raise youngsters, and this thread is active and gives me an impression of the zeitgeist in the city.

Sorry all you Sonic fans but having lived in several locales where Sonic thrives I can verify that it is not good news that Sonic is expanding to GR. The target demo is low income (why do you think they're expanding to MI?), the roller-skates exist only in select locations (my experience has been some pants-saggin' teenager schlepping the food out on foot), and really, it's just fast-food, which we all know is just barely food. Right?

I should introduce myself here. I grew up in GR, was educated at UM Ann Arbor and then left the state. Currently live in Albuquerque, NM after stints in San Francisco and New Orleans. I monitor this post often as I'm getting ready to have a kid and have always thought about relocating back to GR to raise youngsters, and this thread is active and gives me an impression of the zeitgeist in the city.

yeah the sonic thing was pissing me off too. Im not a huge fan of fast food or a lot of chains but I like seeing a variety and not the same old McD's, BK, toco bell, wendys, arbys, ect. Some chains that I would like to see is a cheesecake factory downtown teh mojos spot would have been perfect, a White Castle (I know nasty), Lenny's subs (they have them in kzoo), califonia pizza kitchen in a mall, Dave and Busters downtown, chick fil-a, among others

Ice skates - duh!

I really don't care if people hate it or not

1. It's new jobs

2. It's growth

3. IT'S JOBS

It's not like they're going to stick this thing next to rosa parks circle. And besdies, with the fast food joints out there that - yes - everyone has been to or at least likes one of them - needs more variety.

And as far as the low-income comment goes - it could be worse - we could be getting a brand new waffle house! with it's ugly building exterior.

So would you rather have

or

18_sonicnyc_lg.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey, hey, hey now, no trashing the Waffle House. The grill meisters that work the line are more talented than all of us put together. They can multi-task while waitresses yell out orders and they get it all. The cheese and egg special with raisin toast and apple butter may be one life's best guilty pleasures. I also like the authentic retro feel. In a few years they will be hailed as landmarks from another era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone caught this, but there was a news brief in yesterday's (Tuesday) business section of the Press. The Wyoming city council opposes the rezoning for a new Sonic restaurant near Menards on Clyde Park and 54th Street.

Trigo Hospitality plans to open 12 Sonic locations in West Michigan, according to the brief.

Archived