Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Heartwell's State of the City Address

14 posts in this topic

In Heartwell's State of the City address, he touched on some key issues that I think pertain to our discussions:

) As mentioned on another thread, the call for local private enterprises to show support for the proposed streetcar line

) The call for more sustainable practices by the city, including the idea of adding small wind turbines to power many of the downtown buildings, switching to LED streetlights and signals, and the city moving to 100% renewable energy sources by 2020.

) Greater involvement of the city in the public school systems

Take a minute and see what you think. I also wonder who the Spanish company is that they have been courting for over a year is?

I also wonder what company out of Boston he mentioned, who he said is looking at Grand Rapids for a "major investment."

) The call for more sustainable practices by the city, including the idea of adding small wind turbines to power many of the downtown buildings, switching to LED streetlights and signals, and the city moving to 100% renewable energy sources by 2020.

Just a quick random maybe thoughtless thought - how cool would it be/make us look if we put turbines on top of some the buildings downtown???? High elevation=higher wind speeds= more power + cool tech factor = publicity = good for DT. Man, I really gotta stop putting so much Bailey's in my coffee in the morning.

With all the major streetscape improvements over the past 5 or more years (Ionia, Grandville, and Division are some examples) I've noticed many new street lights and signals go up but most seem to be regular lights. Has the city already implimented a conversion policy or have they yet to get it off the ground and spend more money converting the already new lights/signals?

Ah, thanks for the information. I don't tend to have a whole lot of time to read articles at work so thanks for highlighting it for me Dad. At times I believe I can tell which new signals are LED because they look like the kids game "Lite Brite" that I use to play with. I hope though that I'm still not correct on the fact that the city put up new signals and are replacing them already.

In Heartwell's State of the City address, he touched on some key issues that I think pertain to our discussions:

) As mentioned on another thread, the call for local private enterprises to show support for the proposed streetcar line

) Greater involvement of the city in the public school systems

Take a minute and see what you think. I also wonder who the Spanish company is that they have been courting for over a year is?

For style points, this wind turbine rocks, and would actually look cool downtown if used the right way:

http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk/video/qr5_320/320_video.htm

I actually found this from one of the google ads on this site. It looks like they have some pretty cool ideas (and I like the fact that the vertical turbine doesn't have to "track" the wind).

Joe

Can't find a Spanish company with a CEO named Jesus Harasti...can anyone find any info on this person??

Can't find a Spanish company with a CEO named Jesus Harasti...can anyone find any info on this person??

I have noticed the past few times driving up to the Union and Michigan intersection that the new light installed there is VERY bright when it turns green. That might be one of the new LED lights.

Nothing, nada. I even tried some different spelling variations like Haratsi, Haraszti, Haraste, Haratse, in case it was spelled wrong, and just tried the last name with no first name. No luck.

I tried a bunch of different ways as well (juarasti, etc)...Do you think it is real or a bit of puffery?

What about the company from Boston he mentioned- did anyone else catch this (and care)? Even if it's not a major corporation, it's (almost) never a bad thing to have a company from out of state look at GR for expansion; I'm really interested in this one.

Anyone...?