Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDC

Bad parking!

24 posts in this topic

I see way too many poorly parked cars - blocking the sidewalk, taking up two spaces, you name it. Today, for example, I was out walking my dog and there was this gargantuan Lincoln Navigator sticking out of a driveway with its tail completely blocking the sidewalk. What bothers me isn't so much having to walk around it, but the carelessness and the ignorance it would require to do such a thing. :angry:

So what can be done about this? I don't think my city has a hotline to call for parking infractions, and I'm not going to key anyone's car (though I'll admit I've come close). Does your town punish bad parking? Have you ever taken action against bad parkers?

I did a little research and I found this website: You Park Like an A******.com . The hate mail alone is worth a visit.

Nope, as far as Jackson, TN goes folks just pull in and where ever the car stops within the confines, or outside, of the parking place is where the vehicle will rest until they return. Drives me up the wall....

I don't even look for parking anymore, I just park in the back 40 and walk. Its better for your health anyways and usually substantially quicker than actually looking for a parking space.

I try to avoid parking within the first 15 spaces or so and typically pick a spot that is next to a no parking zone, handicap (since they are typically wider spaces) or simply park where no one else is. I can't stand a ding or scratch on my car because of someone else's refusal to care for the property of others.

I recall one time a few years ago where I went to the grocery store and parked quite a distance from the store, several spaces from the nearest parked car. Amazingly when I returned to my car I found that a very large SUV had parked so close that I had to climb into the passenger seat and then over to the driver's seat to get out of the parking lot. There was obviously no reason for that person to do this since there were still several spaces free around my car, they chose to do it to piss me off apparently. I left a nice little note. Unfortunately my wife will no longer let me leave notes. :P

Another thing I hate that is related to bad parking is that people leave their buggies in the middle of the parking lot. I've seen people leave them right next to the cart returns. I will never understand the laziness that is required by someone to stoop to this level. My wife and I always play store employees when we go shopping as we gather up as many carts as we can from the parking lot and return them to the returns so that they don't hit our car or someone else's car.

i'll make one quick pass through the closer spots and if i don't see anything, i'll just park and walk (it's not like walking is bad). unless it's raining... then i care how close i am.

unfortunately, though, one of my upstairs neighbors doesn't know how to park properly. when there's a huge space between cars in our little driveway/lot, she always parks really close to the car to her left (which is funny because she has to get out with only like 2 feet of space between her car and the one next to her), leaving lots of space (4 feet or so) between her car and the one on the right (or unlimited space when she's on the end with no one next to her). i just don't get it. i always fear when she pulls in because she's got all sort of dings and scratches on her car, and knowing how close she parks to us, i can only imagine how she got those scratches.

generally, though, i'm not too worried about dings on my car as long as they're not bad. my car had a minor dent in the rear passenger side door when i bought it and some minor scratches. i figure, it's gonna get dinged up anyways, no need to sweat the small stuff.

the one thing i will do when i see people parked diagonally so that no one will park next to them is park next to them. i don't care what kind of car you have, whether it be a honda or a bentley. no one is that important that they need to take up multiple spaces so no one hits their car.

My mother got a new car a few months ago. Two weeks after getting the car, she goes to the BJ's wholesale club and parks off where nobody else is. (I'm along on this trip.) There's very few cars in the aisle, it's off to the side, and there's nobody within 3-4 spaces on either side. Come out of the store, there's a sportier car parked right next to my mother's new car... so close that I had to squeeze in to avoid hitting the other person's car with my door. The strange thing is... there was still nobody else around for 3-4 spaces on either side.

I could sit here for a half hour talking about bad parking and bad driving stories. This is Massachusetts after all, and I lived right outside New York for several years.

I get especially annoyed at those who park their manhood extensions in two spaces rather than one. I've seen this quite a few times, but last week in a lot that was full, I'd had enough. I left a nice little note calling attention to his shortcomings and how sorry I was for his spouse. Granted, it probably did no good, but I sure felt better. This Opus cartoon says it all.

Down here at Georgia Southern University, I've seen quite a few examples of poor parking. Evidently, my fellow college students just pull their cars into parking spaces, however haphazardly, just get out, and leave their cars with no concern for how well they stayed within the confines of the space they were aiming for. There have been a few times that I have tried to park in a great parking space in the lot outside my dorm, only to find that the car in the next space overlaps the space I want sometimes by over a foot!

Personally, if I do a poor job parking, I always try to straighten my car out rather than just leaving it like it is.

when I worked in this giant complex in Northeast Charlotte, parking at the deck was always scarce. When looking for a spot, whenever I see a car that was doubleparked (usually an SUV or a luxury vehicle), I would simply report the car to security. They would in turn "boot" that person's tire until they pay the $100 fine. Some easily had the cash to pay the fine, but they were inconvenienced for about a hour :D because of their own inconsideration and stupidity. If I didn't report the car, then the roving patrol would have seen it anyway. My thing is, if you don't want anyone parking next to you, then don't drive your fancy vehicle.

when I worked in this giant complex in Northeast Charlotte, parking at the deck was always scarce. When looking for a spot, whenever I see a car that was doubleparked (usually an SUV or a luxury vehicle), I would simply report the car to security. They would in turn "boot" that person's tire until they pay the $100 fine. Some easily had the cash to pay the fine, but they were inconvenienced for about a hour :D because of their own inconsideration and stupidity. If I didn't report the car, then the roving patrol would have seen it anyway. My thing is, if you don't want anyone parking next to you, then don't drive your fancy vehicle.

I went to our local public library a couple of weekends ago and spotted this fine parking job:

2307718394_1105280af2.jpg

I went to our local public library a couple of weekends ago and spotted this fine parking job:

I love people like that, thats not even parking in two spots that is parking in a none spot and like a complete a** also.

not to mention blocking part of a handicap space. depending on where i am (if it's a suburb, they're more likely to respond) i'd call the cops, or at least inform someone in charge of the parking violation. handicap spaces should never be used by lazy people.

This will be gravy for you...behind me in this photo is a parking deck and on the other side of that is the police headquarters for my hometown (this is in the downtown district).

This will be gravy for you...behind me in this photo is a parking deck and on the other side of that is the police headquarters for my hometown (this is in the downtown district).

I'm not surprised seeing a ridiculous park job like that done by a big SUV. I get the vibe that the bigger the car, the more likely it affects the owner's brain... in terms of them feeling they can do whatever.

same can be said about the price of the car in my experience. i can't tell you how many benz's, audis, BMW's, etc i see parked diagonal across multiple spaces or driving like a-holes or parked like that.

Yeah, they're part of the unholy trinity too: SUVs, minivans, and pricey sedans.

don't knock minivans, they're a million times better than SUV's. i wish they stayed mainstream like they were in the 90's. they're better on gas, offer a better ride, and actually have more storage space. not to mention, they're a whole lot safer.

Sure they might be safer and more fuel efficient than SUVs. The pricey sedans are probably too. We're just talking about some the people who drive them, those who seem too self-absorbed with the fact they have a safe car and "precious cargo" to not have respect for anyone else on the road.

I think it really depends on the person and their views of their placement in society over what kind of car they drive. I certainly don't drive a Ferrari or Porsche but I do have an Acura that I worked hard to pay for and consider a nice car. I've never parked outside of a line and I always double check to make sure I have ample space on either side for anyone that wants to park beside of me. I do try to park next to nicer cars or those without a lot of dings and scratches since I believe those individuals are likely to care less about your car since they don't even care about their own. That's likely not the case every single time but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm not about to park in a handicap, in a no parking zone, etc. though. That's just plain disrespectful to others and to the law.

A former bike messenger in Charlotte I know used to carry around bumper stickers that he had custom printed that read "Learn how to park, Jackass". If he rode past an offending parked car, the sticker would be applied.

A former bike messenger in Charlotte I know used to carry around bumper stickers that he had custom printed that read "Learn how to park, Jackass". If he rode past an offending parked car, the sticker would be applied.

Thanks for sharing that site, I love it! :) Usually when I see cars like that, I report them to the store/library, etc. and on some occasions I've seen them towed after being reported :P . If they are in or blocking a handicap spot, I've got no problem calling the police to report it and giving them the liscense plate#.