What's our image?

Cadeho

I know some of you are embarrassed every other month by something that happens here... like the Henrico stampede, Leonidas Young being booed on national television, the Braves etc. Do people outside of Richmond even pay attention to anything like that? Is it affecting our image to those who visit or move here from elsewhere? Or because every city has its issues and brawls, it doesn't matter? How can people describe Richmond if asked? Do we really lack an image and if so, what can be done?

Also, physically, what could be an idea for a landmark. Other cities have something that readily identifies it to others around the nation and around the world. What would you like to see built and what can we rally behind as a region?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I don't think we have any image at all. Before I moved here I had no idea Richmond was as big as it is. It was just not a place on my radar at all.

There is NO progressive spirit in Richmond that I can see. Makes sense since this part of the world hung onto slavery after more thoughtful people rejected it. Now we can't do anything, it seems. We let the VAPAF destroy our chance for a concert hall for our orchestra. We didn't care enough about keeping baseball here to build a stadium. This place is provincial and small minded. While other cities shoot for the big leagues (Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, ect.) we just keep on being satisfied with the minor leagues. We let a bunch of country club guys carve up downtown and build architecturally trashy condo and VCU buildings. When is this place going to get its act together?!

There isn't going to be any landmark because a landmark says "I am striving for something". Just get ready for more 15 story twin towers...

Good question. I don't think we have any image at all. Before I moved here I had no idea Richmond was as big as it is. It was just not a place on my radar at all.

There is NO progressive spirit in Richmond that I can see. Makes sense since this part of the world hung onto slavery after more thoughtful people rejected it. Now we can't do anything, it seems. We let the VAPAF destroy our chance for a concert hall for our orchestra. We didn't care enough about keeping baseball here to build a stadium. This place is provincial and small minded. While other cities shoot for the big leagues (Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, ect.) we just keep on being satisfied with the minor leagues. We let a bunch of country club guys carve up downtown and build architecturally trashy condo and VCU buildings. When is this place going to get its act together?!

There isn't going to be any landmark because a landmark says "I am striving for something". Just get ready for more 15 story twin towers...

Well, now that there won't be baseball at the city complex or a swimming facility, maybe it is time to turn that area into a Civil War Theme Park. We could move the White House of the Confederacy from its surrounds at Clay and 12th, along with any other old structure that VCU wants to get out of the way, we could steal the Rebel Yell roller coaster from Kings Dominion, it would be tied to the museums on Boulevard. The staff could wear Confederate battle clothing and slavery garb.

Sesame Place is built on 14 acres just west of Philly, I am sure it would work.

Whew bjust! I take phone calls from a lot of people at work and some ask where I'm located and I tell them RIchmond, Virginia. I have not had one negative remark yet. I always get, "It's so beautiful there," or "You have such amazing history." Are those negative things? If I went to Charlotte, would I come back saying, "Oh I love your banks!" We do need to promote our history more and everything else we love about the city.

A history theme park? I have thought of that, because a lot of people want to demolish the entire city and rebuild it, erasing all historic things except the Capitol, John Marshall's House, St. John's, and the Poe Museum. Forget the Boulevard area for that, they'd probably go to Field Day of the Past in Goochland, or a tract near the new fairgrounds.

For most part, I find outsiders nationwide that have actually have visited Richmond, loved it. I find that those from Virginia, outside of Richmond, tend to be the ones that are the most disallusioned and believe Richmond is a dangerous crime hole and they will be shot just entering.

Currently, I live in California and I can tell you that most people I talk to who I tell about Richmond, really don't know much about Richmond other than it was the Capital of the Confederacy. Other than that, there really isn't much people know about Richmond. That in and of itself, really is not good. I hate that Richmond is known virtually only its roll in the Civil War. Richmond needs to distiguish itself as something else, something positive, whether it be an economic powerhouse, the Silicon Valley of the East Coast, whatever. It needs to shake this perception that it's a small, sleepy Confederate town that many in America see that it is! Most people I've talked to have never even been to Richmond, but what I've told you is what they know of it. Of course, I always shed light on their prior perception of Richmond, but I can't do it alone. Richmond needs to set itself apart as being a national city and not just an East Coast city or a Virginia city. I hope this helps you all who actually live in Richmond so that these perceptions will change. Something has to be done.

Currently, I live in California and I can tell you that most people I talk to who I tell about Richmond, really don't know much about Richmond other than it was the Capital of the Confederacy. Other than that, there really isn't much people know about Richmond. That in and of itself, really is not good. I hate that Richmond is known virtually only its roll in the Civil War. Richmond needs to distiguish itself as something else, something positive, whether it be an economic powerhouse, the Silicon Valley of the East Coast, whatever. It needs to shake this perception that it's a small, sleepy Confederate town that many in America see that it is! Most people I've talked to have never even been to Richmond, but what I've told you is what they know of it. Of course, I always shed light on their prior perception of Richmond, but I can't do it alone. Richmond needs to set itself apart as being a national city and not just an East Coast city or a Virginia city. I hope this helps you all who actually live in Richmond so that these perceptions will change. Something has to be done.

Our beloved city, like Eric says, is not well known. I have lived and/or worked abroad and in at least 46 states. Rarely, after telling inquirers that I am from Richmond have they not asked, "is that in Virginia?" which reflects the no-image issue. Even Capital of The Confederacy doesn't register much anymore.

Travel is a broadening experience that could expose many locals to the beauties AND drawbacks of Richmond. Travel brochures and TV just don't cut it.

Hi Richmond forum!

I lived in Richmond from 99 until 05 and loved my time there, except for the last year. Richmond has an amazing reputation nationally for being a very creative and liberal city. Live music, art, organic business. Unfortunately, your livability outside of those areas left much to be desired for me and I moved to Charlotte. I was seeking a more "grown-up" life, and felt that I wouldn't be able to escape a city dominated only by VCU (and the parts that weren't were so stifled by conservative government bureaucracy). My point being, I loved my 20's in Richmond and was very proud to be there. My 30's I love Charlotte. But I still remember you fondly, and think your image depends on what you are into.

Oddly enough, I left the Fan (Museum District) to move to Charlotte's suburbs. It drove me crazy and I moved back into a city neighborhood that is VERY similar to The Fan. The difference, it is only a neighborhood and not a whole city.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Apparently a new show on TNT called HawthoRNe starring Jada Pinkett-Smith is based in a made-up hospital in Richmond (Richmond Trinity Hospital)...

I joked that maybe with the name of the hospital, it would be based in Richmond. Then I noticed the Virginia license plates, police phony logos on their uniforms which looked remotely like the city logo citylogo.gif, and other subtleties. The awesome skyline shot as Pinkett-Smith drove across the Mayo Bridge confirmed it.

I don't think there's been ANYthing in the local press about it.

Apparently a new show on TNT called HawthoRNe starring Jada Pinkett-Smith is based in a made-up hospital in Richmond (Richmond Trinity Hospital)...

I joked that maybe with the name of the hospital, it would be based in Richmond. Then I noticed the Virginia license plates, police phony logos on their uniforms which looked remotely like the city logo citylogo.gif, and other subtleties. The awesome skyline shot as Pinkett-Smith drove across the Mayo Bridge confirmed it.

I don't think there's been ANYthing in the local press about it.

A couple of friends went to the Richmond Zoo last week and said they were amazed by the facility and the large number of animals, including giraffes, rhinos, lions and a big variety of monkeys, chimps, etc.

The Zoo is beyond Rt. 288 off of US 360 in Chesterfield County, but despite its far suburban location, it's called Richmond Zoo.

Perhaps with proper promotion it could enhance the area's image.

Archived