What's our image?

Cadeho

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

You know this may be a duh and probably has already been said, but I feel Richmonders are not proud of their city. We just live here either because we were born here, our families have historically lived here, or we're here because of jobs. A lot of people I've spoken to about Richmond don't understand why I love it. They are quick to mention New York, other big cities, or other states. Some have said all there is to do here is shop. But with the Ukrop's scare, it seems most don't care if another of our hallmarks disappears. They don't mind that we become just another nameless place with nothing to identify ourselves. Some have come from out of town and are used to the big chains and probably don't know what it's like to have local institutions. Then others just find us boring. I have no idea what excitement they're looking for because there are tons of things to do here. I feel we need something to unite us. We need to have that pride of, let's say, New Yorkers... maybe that's stretching it. We do have small towns and other cities that have content people who love where they live and are proud to say they're from that place. For me, I'll always love Richmond, even if it goes soulless or becomes a powerhouse.

You know this may be a duh and probably has already been said, but I feel Richmonders are not proud of their city. We just live here either because we were born here, our families have historically lived here, or we're here because of jobs. A lot of people I've spoken to about Richmond don't understand why I love it. They are quick to mention New York, other big cities, or other states. Some have said all there is to do here is shop. But with the Ukrop's scare, it seems most don't care if another of our hallmarks disappears. They don't mind that we become just another nameless place with nothing to identify ourselves. Some have come from out of town and are used to the big chains and probably don't know what it's like to have local institutions. Then others just find us boring. I have no idea what excitement they're looking for because there are tons of things to do here. I feel we need something to unite us. We need to have that pride of, let's say, New Yorkers... maybe that's stretching it. We do have small towns and other cities that have content people who love where they live and are proud to say they're from that place. For me, I'll always love Richmond, even if it goes soulless or becomes a powerhouse.

Archived