Rowan Village

jcaruth

The Dem-Gaz had an article in Sunday's paper about an approved mixed use village named Rowan Village. It will be a 40 million dollar project with retail, condos, town homes, and patio homes. Construction is set to start in the next two to three months. It will be located on 21 acres next to Shackleford Crossing south of Camp Aldersgate. It will contain 60,000sf of retail and 40 condos.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dem-Gaz had an article in Sunday's paper about an approved mixed use village named Rowan Village. It will be a 40 million dollar project with retail, condos, town homes, and patio homes. Construction is set to start in the next two to three months. It will be located on 21 acres next to Shackleford Crossing south of Camp Aldersgate. It will contain 60,000sf of retail and 40 condos.

• 7 months later...
I was going to add that it is a TND (traditional neighborhood development), but now that I think about it, that may have been my assumption. It was described in a similar way, but perhaps it just said it would be mixed-use. Oh well, either way - hope it is built in good taste and that it finds success.

You know it seems there is a lot of grey area in defining something as "mixed-use." A lot of developments that label themselves as mixed-use really would be more aptly named "multi-use." The idea of mixed-use has a lot of connotations for me that aren't analogous with something like a site developed with big-box retail, an apartment complex, and a 300-space parking lot in between. To me that's where I feel the term multi-use is appropriate.

This comment really isn't specific in any way to Rowan Village, let me say that.

My hope is that this development doesnt become another big box letdown like Shackleford Crossing. I like Shackleford Crossing but I had really hoped for alot more than just another Wal-Mart based urban pocket. The waterfront area close to Mud Island in Memphis is a place where I see alot of people supporting local small businesses and there's alot of foot traffic around the neighborhoods. Although the Heights and maybe Argenta are areas where this is prevalent, there just aren't very many places in Little Rock where this is the case. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

After speaking with someone that has inside knowledge of the project, I've heard that sitework is set to begin within the next month. The development is set to be traditional in nature with retail along Shackleford, a three story mixed use structure (Town Center), and residential units surrounding the retail. It sounds like a very walkable, pedestrian friendly community. I live in the Heights so I'm glad to hear someone is doing this type of community again. I like it's proximity to the planned Walmart too...if it ever gets built.

• 1 year later...

Rowan Village to begin construction. - From ABJ.

Remember long ago in a galaxy far, far away when you heard about a mixed-use development headed for the area across the street from Shackleford Crossings?

A little birdie tells us the dirt will finally start moving this winter.

The winter construction is only roadway work, we're told. The serious construction on the nearly 22-acre Rowan Village is slated to start this spring.

The project is led by brothers Jacob and Jason Chi, who formed Rowan Development LLC to execute the project.

Rowan Village will be across Shackleford Road from Comcast and south of Camp Aldersgate.

There will likely be 12 to 15 retail tenants and residential space for about 300 families. The residences will be a mixture of townhomes, single-family homes and condos on the second and third floors above retail tenants.

Register to attend the Arkansas Workforce Summit it on November 5!

The Chis hope to keep the price range on the residences between $175,000 and $250,000.

The main restaurant anchor is still in the works, but will likely offer Asian fusion cuisine. The Chi family also owns several Little Rock restaurants, including Sushi Café, Sekisui Sushi Bar & Hibachi and Chi's Chinese Cuisine. The family also owns Crazy Hibachi in North Little Rock.

There's also a 2-acre pad for a hotel.

The whole project could take five to seven years.

• 5 months later...

Archived