Can Anderson support another interstate?

GSP Tiger

Anderson Independent-Mail

Interstate 3 is a proposed interstate highway linking Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN traveling through Georgia's major cities Augusta and Athens.

The route has received much debate about its routing through northern Georgia. Opponents claim it would not be economically feasible and could disrupt the environment.

One proposal is shifting the interstate from Savannah terminating up in Greenville or Clinton (Laurens County) and use US-25 or I-26 to connect to Asheville, NC and onward to Knoxville.

Should Interstate 3 be kept in Georgia, one should consider having a connecting route up to Greenville. Such a route would be from Athens to Piedmont courtesy of US-29. In Georgia, the route would have go go between Elberton and Royston before entering South Carolina enroute to Iva. The route contunes northward to the western side of Belton and onto to Williamston junctioning with the existing US-29 and the connector to Williamston.

The existing US-29 corridor up to I-85 would need work to upgrade to interstate standards. These include replacing low narrow overpasses and improves entrance/exit ramps. Frontage roads would be created to serve driveways of homes and businesses currently touching the route.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have often thought 29 should be upgraded to freeway status particularly from downtown Anderson to I-85. This would really spur growth through a part of the county which is in dire need.

This I3 stuff though looks pretty iffy to me. I'm not sure it's a bad idea, but I just don't see it happening in the next 20-30 years and by then, I'm hoping for some major technological breakthrough which makes interstates less central to America's transportation system. Wishful thinking? Maybe.

I must stress that we know very little about this interstate's proposed routes through SC right now, but from what it sounds like the interstate would go from Augusta to either Clinton or Greenville. Assuming a Greenville terminus, then it would not pass near enough to Anderson to make a significant impact. Greenwood stands the most chance of benefiting from this interstate.

Archived