"King Cotton", "The Blues", "The King", and FedEx – What’s next for Memphis?

Rural King

Memphis is a city known for many things. Generically it is known as the hub of commerce, culture, and opportunity for much of the Mid-South. More specifically and uniquely it has been a place where fortunes have been made and lost on the cotton exchange, where the "Blues" emerged from the delta culture, where a young Mississippian started and based a career that earned him the title "The King of Rock and Roll", and where a businessman with a few planes and a lot of planning established the world's premier parcel service and changed how the world did business. And these are but a few of the unique examples of the characters, institutions, and ways of life that formed the modern Memphis.

So the next logical question is "What's next for Memphis?" What do people predict or foresee as the new social, cultural, and economic entities that may, or may not, add their indelible mark on the city's fabric?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot to chew on.

Economically, the next big thing is supposed to be biotechnology. The State has committed a lot of money to it in Memphis, and with UT, UM, LeBonheur, and St. Jude in the mix it sounds like something that could work. There is already a fairly large industry there in medical technology with Smith and Nephew and others. In fact in certain areas of the field, Memphis is already at the forefront--medical orthopedics, I think it is.

I read something somewhere which makes a lot of sense--with oil becoming an evermore scarce resource in the future, do Boeing and Airbus have any plans in the pipeline for producing alternatively fueled aircraft? With cars, I fully expect that in ten years the majority will be hybrids, and in twenty years, the majority will probably be run on something other than petroleum products. What about aircraft? It would seem that it could spell some trouble for FedEx and aviation in general in the long term.

That's a lot to chew on.

Economically, the next big thing is supposed to be biotechnology. The State has committed a lot of money to it in Memphis, and with UT, UM, LeBonheur, and St. Jude in the mix it sounds like something that could work. There is already a fairly large industry there in medical technology with Smith and Nephew and others. In fact in certain areas of the field, Memphis is already at the forefront--medical orthopedics, I think it is.

Archived