XL Center Renovation/Replacement Plans

Looks like the most likely option is the $250M rebuilding of the arena.  It certainly seems as if that makes the most sense if it will get it NHL/NBA ready and get all of the operating systems replaced.  Pretty exciting to think that this is finally actually going to happen.  We'll be ready if the NHL ever does become a real possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wfsb.com/video?clipId=11183513&autostart=true

CRDA Head Mike Freimuth on Face the State yesterday. Sounds like the $250m rebuild is practically a done deal. Sweet! Let's hope the legislature gives the governor what he wants here after relatively modest debate.

Yeah this is good stuff.

I read the PDF while the presentation was happening and the first thng that "wowed" me was that UCONN needs almost as much change as NHL.   not that D1 college was such a big deal, because I know it is business wise, but because, the market demand is essentially as high, and that the arena would need to be changed so much

at that time I was like DANG... they are gonna suggest a brand new building which brought on both excitement and dread... because I knew it would be expensive.

then the next was was actually that a rebuilt arena was reasonably priced at 250 mill   I mean it immediately became a no brainer... I generally HATE rebuilt building because they usually dont save money and never function right.  the good news here is that all that can be fixed, which kinda surprised me.

anyways, I agree, this seems positive.

UCONN is onboard, and depending on the deals signed, I can see this moving reletively quickly at 250 mill.

I dont think we need NHL, but it would be sweet if we had an area that was that busy, it would be great for the city

• 4 weeks later...

Reason:

I hope the NHL does come back. Whenever I wear my Whalers jersey to Lightning fans, I get comments on them. I believe Quebec and Hartford will have moved teams (I hope Carolina).

Reason:

I hope the NHL does come back. Whenever I wear my Whalers jersey to Lightning fans, I get comments on them. I believe Quebec and Hartford will have moved teams (I hope Carolina).

• 1 month later...

obsticle removed

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2280/article/p2p-83436961/

with CRDA now in control of this larger footprint, they have more flexability in future plans.

I think obtaining the rights to the town square or whatever the mall is called is the next, and the biggest issue now.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was thinking about the NHL and relocation last night as I do from time to time... The Canes have been rumored for relocation and for sale. also their attendance is terrible.

So, if some kind soul could buy the canes ?(about 220 million) and move em back to Hartford, that would be cool right...  but how about if that same person committed to not being a dick, and said, hey, we are and have always been the whalers, so, we will contimue to be your canes as well...   

rebrand Whale... 100% but commit to playing 10 games per year in Carolina for the long haul. (maybe even a couple of those in Charlotte)

Sell Whalers gear in both markets, get tv contracts in both markets, essentially make sure your fan base lives on in both markets.

This would have to add value to your team and make you additional money.  it also seemingly would increase demand in both markets for tickets.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An interesting read from the NY Post.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/08/hartfords-xl-center-set-to-get-250m-facelift/

Let's hope this means that the ball is finally starting to roll on this project in a major way. Now that private investors are starting to creep into the picture it makes me wonder if they know something that we don't. Maybe talks with the NHL are starting to accelerate too?