657 West Fulton

Rhino6885

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it looks fantastic! This is exactly the kind of development that I love :thumbsup:

I have a lot of questions, so I guess I'll just throw them out there

Where did this news come from? Is Rhino the first to spill this to the public?

Who is the developer?

Does this project meet the new zoning code or does the developer need to ask for changes?

When are they planning on starting construction?

Have any tenants been lined up?

Where is the future expansion for the project going to happen?

All I can answer is that "no", this hasn't been made public anywhere else. And I've checked all the city's agenda epackets and haven't found anything. My guess is Rhino is somehow affiliated with SWAN or a similar West-Side neighborhood association. Also, I found the owner to be Richard Westra (don't know the name).

Why don't more developers concentrate on student housing? Allendale isn't all its cracked up to be (is it cracked up to be anything?) and neither is living in a 100 year old house with $400 heating bills. I have nothing to back it up, but it seems like students will line up for this...

This project is a great urban design. I really hope this one gets built quickly. I don't know the West side that well but it seems that stretch of Fulton is a strange mix of houses and suburban style commercial fast food places. Both of those elements on West Fulton should be replaced with mixed use buildings like this. They will improve the appearance of the area and give a feeling of greater density.

This project is a great urban design. I really hope this one gets built quickly. I don't know the West side that well but it seems that stretch of Fulton is a strange mix of houses and suburban style commercial fast food places. Both of those elements on West Fulton should be replaced with mixed use buildings like this. They will improve the appearance of the area and give a feeling of greater density.

SWAN will, in all liklihood, not be creating any plans other than what they have done. The organization just lost its staff person, who resigned and moved out of state. She was the person who tried to hold this group together, and ultimately the whole organization seemed to implode, even before she left. It is a disfunctional bunch and I have my doubts that they would even find this proposal to their liking - although I could be wrong about that.

The real visionary organization over here is the West Fulton Business Association. They get it and they are willing to work together to make it happen.

Other than that, this seems like a really great project, especially for this area. It could be a real shot in the arm. The project seems to be doing many of the urban things that we all would like to see.

Let's add another story and call it good.

I think there's a big difference between this development and the LMD apartment complex. The LMD project had 85 apartments, then 69 apartments in the revised plan, and only something like 28 off street parking spaces. The residents in that area couldn't fathom where all the residents in the apartment complex would park (and completely understandable). Hopson Flats thought they could do OK without parking, but now they are looking at using some of the new parking lot behind Founders because most of the renters there own automobiles. PLUS, the Lots O Pots owner spoke out in favor of the LMD development, even with the limited parking.

This project has 4 apartments with 8 beds, and 10 off-street parking spaces. Plus I believe there is on-street parking right out in front of the building (?). I agree with GRTP that it could use another floor. If it's true that there is no concerted effort against this, I don't see it being held up at all. What surprises me is that I haven't seen anything about it at the Planning Commission.

And welcome back civitas! :hi: Did we scare you away?

Archived