657 West Fulton

Rhino6885

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SWAN will, in all liklihood, not be creating any plans other than what they have done. The organization just lost its staff person, who resigned and moved out of state. She was the person who tried to hold this group together, and ultimately the whole organization seemed to implode, even before she left. It is a disfunctional bunch and I have my doubts that they would even find this proposal to their liking - although I could be wrong about that.

The new form-based code does not require parking per square foot. (Will look it up and get back.)

Each provided car-storage space costs money, and likely the development can come in at a lower price point if they assume one car per unit. Seems like these would be snapped up by undergrads or DINKs affiliated with GVSU-Pew, who don't feel a need to own one infernal combustion engine per adult (or per resident).

According to Deb Shurlow, agent on the project, here are some more details:

) The project has been preliminarily approved. Owner is working on tax credits and then will formally apply.

) Construction will start when a specific portion of the building is leased.

) Residential units will lease between $900 - $1000 (preliminary at this time), and will not lease "per bed" like HF.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they have probably received enough positive feedback from the city and possibly the West Side neighbors that they feel confident enough to start marketing the retail spaces.

This is a wonderful project, I hope this spurs much more development in the area. Downtown could use A LOT more student housing (The waiting list for dorms dt is about 2 years) I would like to see more dense student housing/retail/office in the area, it seems like so much of that area is totally underused and/or vacant. The mass of students in the area could support a lot of businesses. I was disapointed when the LMD project fell through. I also wish they would have added a couple floors to this, but the area has to start small. Great project!

I too keep looking at the convergence of two separate issues: Allendale really doesn't want any more dense student housing, and downtown could greatly use more student housing:

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/alls...using_plan.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

And for students whose parents pay for housing, I can see parents being a lot more receptive to a nice new development like this as opposed to an old broken down house in a sketchy area and the stench of bong permanently in the carpet. :)

I think this mockup looks ridiculous and what W. Fulton really needs is more developments like Nite Cap Bar & Grill down the road.

nitecap.jpg

</ end sarcasm>

I love it. Wish it had another floor on top of it.

Where is the bicycle parking by the way? With that few parking spots, surely they would encourage their residents and patrons to ride a bicycle instead, right? :)

That's one thing I really liked about Hopson Flats, was the awesome indoor bicycle parking.

Archived