Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DetroitMan

City rejects 2nd downtown hotel project

8 posts in this topic

Oh Lord. Rejected it because it would take one lane away from a 4 lane one-way!

Local historic preservation promoters thought the nine-story hotel would overshadow nearby historic buildings.

Because really what we should do is leave a 500 yard swath of open, mowed grass around every single historic building... everywhere.

Give me a break, that's what's awesome about historic buildings in cities. It's like being in a living museum. Think of art in subway stations. History becomes a part of the everyday, it's no longer put up on a pedestal, you can literally interact with it. The historic preservation people in this community go so far over the top, they're turning away people who would otherwise be generally sympathetic to the cause of historic preservation.

wow I thought Grand Rapids was full of Nimbys. I don't understand people that speak up against something because they don't think the market is there for it. Have they studied the market? doubt it...

I'm sorry for you guys

Because really what we should do is leave a 500 yard swath of open, mowed grass around every single historic building... everywhere.

Give me a break, that's what's awesome about historic buildings in cities. It's like being in a living museum. Think of art in subway stations. History becomes a part of the everyday, it's no longer put up on a pedestal, you can literally interact with it. The historic preservation people in this community go so far over the top, they're turning away people who would otherwise be generally sympathetic to the cause of historic preservation.

I got a bit nervous when an "advertisement" was placed for a week on the fence written in crayon on poster board directing inquiries to their office. Kind of embarrassing, but it wasn't up long.

I got a bit nervous when an "advertisement" was placed for a week on the fence written in crayon on poster board directing inquiries to their office. Kind of embarrassing, but it wasn't up long.