Current Convention Center

nashvylle

With Mayor Dean behind the proposed Convention Center and tourist taxes seeming to keep up with the increased costs, what do you guys think should happen to the current convention center?

IMO, I would love to have a high-end retail store go here- a Nordstroms and/or Saks 5th Ave. We could have multiple floors, and a prime location right on Broadway to bring a ton of people to the heart of the CBD. I was just recently in Indianapolis for the Titans Colts game, and they had a Nordstroms downtown, and I certainly believe Nashville would support one well (considering we have hundreds of people drive to Atlanta for every holiday sale). What do you guys think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think the most likely bet would be it gets sold off by the city, demolished, and redeveloped by a private entity.

Barring restrictions on what could be built along that stretch of Broadway I would think a mixed use development incorporating a hotel, retail, and possible office and/or residential components could be very successful on that location.

What you suggest could be successful, as Indy does have a successful downtown mall, but I am not sure if a developer would be willing to invest in such a venture in downtown at this time. Also one diffence between Nashville and Indianapolis is that Indy's downtown benefits from several affluent neighborhoods near the CBD that support its downtown retail exclusively, unlike downtown Nashville where the nearest more affluent neighborhoods are nearer West End which competes with downtown for such retail/commercial activities.

From what I understand, the Renaissance Hotel is going to purchase it and continue bring smaller conventions there. This was from someone that works in the office. If they are not able to take control of it, then the hotel would not be able to compete for new business from the new CC because of the new CC hotel. I would bet the money from the sale would go to the new CC fund.

Actually, I kind of like it. Although, I would put the walkway "cut through" on the diagonal from the corner of the Renaissance Hotel and down to the corner of Fifth and Broadway where there would be something like a quarter-circular place for perhaps a fountain or just benches. The new buildings could be successively taller from 3-5 floors at 5th/Broad and up to 10-12 along commerce to blend in with Suntrust building. On the wedge formed by the diagonal walkway and Broadway (where the entrance to the CC is today), there could be a dramatic triangular retail store of 3-4 floors tall. I forget how much area that is, but the store and/or restaurant could be up to 40,000-45,000 sf. Just food for thought.

BTW: In the rendering, it appears that the part of existing CC dedicated to the hotel is left. My idea would be really cool if Renaissance decided to build a new tower above their part of the CC. I don't even know if it's possible, but I recall Doorman saying there was a plan for a tower 12-15 stories tall some time ago.

It is unclear but IMO it stems from the fact that the ballroom for the hotel is actually in between the hotel and the center. I am not sure who owns that property but my guess is it is part of the center. I am told the hotel is working with the city on the end result and being positive about the future. At the Chamber meeting last week Phil Ryan from MDHA went out of is way to complement them and their positive approach while discussing the new facility.

No doubt, the Renaissance is in a position to benefit greatly from having a bigger CC, even if it is a block away. Furthermore, the possibities of reusing the current site are also great, whether it be urban-mixed-use, theater googleplex, huge food court a'la Dallas' Plaza of Americas & Atlanta's Omni and U/G (all those conventioneers need a place to eat), condos... hell, the hotel could really strike a deal to its advantage with such a long time left on its CC lease. They're in great shape.

Archived