Hope VI grant program sees new life

smeagolsfree

Looks as if the Hope VI program may not be dead as once thought. I am a middle of the road guy when it comes to some politics and I would support this legislation for several reasons. One, is to replace much out dated and deplorable federal housing units. Two, it seems to lower the crime from the housing projects that were currently occupying the land. Three, the new units are much more pleasing to the eye. My reasons probably are not the same as others but I am looking at this from the built environment point of view.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=58624

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that public housing is not the answer, history also agrees with me. Look at what the public housing did to the neighborhoods in and around where it was built. I do believe that there are many people out there ie: elderly people, who really need our assistance. But I think we need to be much more selective on who is actually worthy of government assistance. Things like earned income credit and government assistance gives poor people an incentive to remain poor. History is proof that The Great Society imprisoned lower class America and gave them incentives to remain poor. I've seen this first hand because I'm from a very poor family and a poverty stricken neighborhood. America needs to wake up, take a look at history, and realize that more government assistance is not the answer. I actually know people who go out and get a job for the minum ammount of time just to receive EIC and IMO that equates to stealing. Reduce the incentives to remaining poor and more poeple will rise above their situation. As for the Hope grants, its a double edged sword for a neighborhood. I agree with gochberg that we may look back on this 50 years from now and wonder how we could have made such a mistake. I would be much rather see the land be sold to developers with stuipulations that they build a truely mixed income developement, reaching out to people who actually really need help while also offering housing options for middle income familys who cant afford a 400k condo and doesnt qualify for government assistance, but would like to live in an urban setting ie: Cheatham place or John Henry Hale. Just an idea, basically with the thought that we need to be forward thinking about these very sensative situations.

I respect your views on this and still have a lot of mixed emotions. The fact is that the Jennie is already out of the bottle. The real question at this point in time is, should we give the Jennie a new home. If we are going to have Gov. housing, should it look like the slums they do in East Nashville and off 2nd. I would rather have newer housing in those places at least to make it more appealing. Another issue is that the new criteria for getting into these new units is much more stringent. I do see your point of view as mine use to be the same but has changed some over the years.

Archived