Mayor Kilpatrick Scandal

TheDetroitCity99

Wow, I'm surprised a topic hasn't been started yet. The media is all over this one :camera: . The mayor has been caught lying while on trial, under oath. Mayor kilpatrick and his family have "escaped" to florida but as soon as media caught up with him there he was on the move. Why is our "leader" running?? :shades:

http://www.huliq.com/48240/detroit-mayor-k...sex-sms-scandal

A news conference is scheduled for 10 A.M. tomorrow on all local news channels and some national channels...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully he is out of the picture quickly, and Detroit can have a new mayor. I think anyone reasonably competent could have done the good the mayor did, but without the scandals.

And the scandals weren't even good ones. It's not like he was doing something shady to bring developers or federal money to the city.

The public has a right to know and traditionally, the media is the source of that information. I understand your confusion because our society defines the media through its overuse of scare tactics and Britney Spearisms. It's the fault of the media that they are viewed that way, but every now and then, they'll go back to the original purpose of themselves and present stories such as this.

Can we not forget that in previous threads we have been praising this mayor for his efforts. Don't forget he negotiated the Book-cadillac, Quicken Loans, Cadillac Center, Neighborhood Initiatives, regional cooperation on Cobo and Transit, and much more. Detroit can't have a better mayor at this point. All the sudden we turn against him for a personal problem as if he's been an ineffective mayor all along. Thank God for what you have or else you'll see people like JoAnn Watson taking over.

Can we not forget that in previous threads we have been praising this mayor for his efforts. Don't forget he negotiated the Book-cadillac, Quicken Loans, Cadillac Center, Neighborhood Initiatives, regional cooperation on Cobo and Transit, and much more. Detroit can't have a better mayor at this point. All the sudden we turn against him for a personal problem as if he's been an ineffective mayor all along. Thank God for what you have or else you'll see people like JoAnn Watson taking over.

I credit the may for the his leadership outside the scandal. He acted as mayor and played the part well, in many cases. However, the scandal is way too much to justify keeping him in office. He screwed himself up while at the same time, screwing the city.

Be prepared tomorrow for the first in many forthcoming speaches where the mayor glorifies himself and convinces the public that yes he did misstep, and that is all. Signs of trouble to come begins with the mere fact that tomorrow's speach will be in the church. To me, that's yet another sign that he's talking down to the people, yet it's just the scene that his supporters want him to be in.

My take on this is apart from the moral debate, which we could debate ad nauseum, the two biggest things to me remain that he cost the city money in his scandal, and he's completely blown the trust of his constituents. This is not to mention how much leverage he loses when trying to work out regional deals like Cobo and mass transit. He'll forever be debating and wrangling from a place of weakness. Again, the biggest thing about this scandal is not the affair in itself, but that city tax dollars were used for his personal sexual escapades. I'm not going to say whether he should resign or not, but I know that the citizens of Detroit have given this guy SO many 'second chances' that him coming to plead before the people is just sad. This is really more sad than anything else because Kilpatrick has done so much good for the city, he's incredibly charasmatic and smart, and the biggest cheerleader the city has had in years. The fresh young face is both his blessing and his curse, it seems. If he's recalled or resigns, the next mayor will have a hard time capturing all of his positive qualities.

That's exactly the way I feel too, LMich. There's a catch 22 here also...1) you keep supporting the mayor at any cost (like many people are doing) and you run the risk of continued incompetency/mistrust/and nonaccredibility. 2) you act against him and prosecute, potentially wasting millions of dollars more of tax payer money by laying the justice system upon him. We're damned if we do and don't. In my mind, the measures to get rid of him outweigh keeping him in office and further instilling in the "lost" residents that it's ok to be a f**kup and speak on behalf of your citizens as such. I for one, refuse to have him EVER represent me under oath again...because that's exactly what he did when he lied in court...and now, I (we) (Detroiters) are stuck footing that $9million dollar bill because "we" lied in court.

following the US Constitution and the Ten Commandments are some basic parameters in which most decent people, much less politicians in this nation usually choose to operate within. Mr. Kilpatrick seems to have no intention to follow either, just the book of Kwame. What's good for Kwame is good for everyone. If you disagree, you're a racist and shame on you for doubting. He deserves no more chances to continue this immature, criminal charade.

He deserves no more chances to fleece the city general fund.

He deserves no more chances to assault members of the media.

He deserves no more chances to ignore court orders to preserve nationally recognized historic structures.

He deserves no more chances to take an earing out and make us think he is changing.

He deserves no more chances to take the stand and mock our judicial system.

He deserves no more chances to tell us that it "never happened; it never happened; it never happened" because given your track record, I am starting to think that it did. And in the wake of this, a woman is dead, a wife's trust is gone and role model to young detroiters is tarnished.

He deserves no more chances to make a mockery of the public bidding process.

He deserves no more chances to childishly belittle the previous administration and take credit for the good things that have occurred and blame the bad things on the past regime.

He deserves no more chances to cheat on his wife.

He deserves no more chances to drag three young boys and a wife through what has to be one of the more humiliating weeks imaginable.

He deserves no more chances to cowardly flee the state in fear of tough, relevant and warranted criticism and question.

He deserves no more chances to be a coward instead of a leader.

I feel so betrayed that I started to support this fraud. Shame on me for falling for this act again. I am vomiting in my mouth just thinking about his speech tomorrow. I can already see him pleading for forgiveness, and claiming that he will be a changed man with the help of God and the prayers of the Citizens of Detroit. The Citizens of Detroit have plenty of better and more pressing things to be praying about; their kids aren't being educated, they can't find work when they do graduate, many live in the fear. The day that praying for the mayor to find a moral compass becomes a priority is indeed a sad day in our City.

Heres to hoping that he resigns.

Please note that while I cited the 10 commandments, God and Prayer, I am not a religious yahoo. I am just getting prepared for the inevitable tomorrow. Expect the worse, hope for the resignation.

Archived