Mayor Kilpatrick Scandal

TheDetroitCity99

I don't think it has anything to do with logistical problems. It is definatly the scandal and both parties probably wanted it moved. The city, which is hungry for travel business, wouldn't just simply not prepare itself for a major event like this.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the thing is, if the conference was held in Detroit, Kwame would have been the host mayor. Can you imagine a massive mob of protest outside of Cobo Hall on the first day of the conference? The conference did the right thing and left.

To say it was logistical reasons that prompted the city to reject the conference is nothing short of asinine! Let me ask this of you...if you asked the mayoral administration what the specifics of the logistics are, what do you thing they would say? That's what I thought. We deserve better. WAY better!

claiming that there are logistical problems (hardly the truth) is basically like running an ads against your own city. We are trying to attract more conferences to this area, why in the world would you have your Mayor/Press secretary basically advertising that Detroit can't get its act together for a simple little conference. Nice job throwing MGM under the bus as well.

So my favorite newspaper is at it again, with a big Sunday piece about sweetheart deals in public contracts. "Ma sistah's family don't have to worry about [bleep] like money." Nice.

Hope that amasses enough evidence for the indictment (already).

V, this is just the beginning. Tonight, the whole metro waited a press conference from the police chief, after a former city worker came forward (under sworn testimony) that she recalled a document from the murdered stripper back in 2002, that gave evidence of the wild Manoogian Mansion party and the assault from the mayor's wife.

The police chief made everybody wait, and finally after an hour and a half, had the mayor's deputy come out and tell everyone that there was a miscommunication. How do you miscommunicate telling the media that you're going to come out w/ a press conference? Obviously, since we the public are such fools, that question was not answered. Why? Because the mayor's office doesn't have to answer questions. Their claim of miscommunication is all we need to know.

Obviously, the media stations were pretty peeved. I would be too, especially since the deputy mayor's brief appearance made it sound like all the TV stations and newspapers were the ones who caused the miscommunication. It's not like they were ALL out there forcing a press conference.

Just more drama in the favor of the community and against the mayor before his state of the city address tomorrow. I hope Kim Worthy's (accusation) of purjury comes out tomorrow before the state of the city.

An Outsider's Point of View:

I live in Grand Rapids. I am a white male, middle-class, 30 years old, used to live in Utica, Rochester, and Warren.

This Kwame thing is a huge black eye for the city of Detroit. Don't get me wrong, I love MoTown, and used to spend many nights downtown and around the city when I lived in the burbs. It's just that this is the last hing Detroit needs right now. A month after being declared the nations most "miserable city" by national media, we have this scumbag betraying the whole city he claims he loves. Detroit is the last city in the nation that could afford to lose $9 Million dollars on such a thing, not to mention the jobs and tax revenue potential businesses would have brought in. Do you think that any CEO in his or her right mind would relocate to the D with Kwame behind the wheel? Hell no.

As a white man, a liberal, a free-thinker and college educated man, one that lived in those suburbs that he bemoans, and one with a higher social conscience than the racists he claims people like me to be, I think Mr. Kilpatrick is a coward. He did wrong, and everyone knows it. But instead of swallowing his pride and proactively stepping aside (with or without a subpeona), he played the race card. In a city that is 9/10 African-American, he played the race card. He tried to spin this thing into a white suburbanite vs. urban balck thing. That is not only completely ridiculous, but that is racist, too. I am offended, and that is tough to do. If I were still a Detroiter, I would rise up and carry this coward out of office with the help of the many righteous minds that believe in this.

Kwame Kilpatrick makes Detroit a laughing stock. I love that city, man. I pray to some higher power that the people of Detroit wake up and smell the coffee - your leader is nothing more than a street thug.

Cotdamn Detroit, hurry the **** up and erase this man. However, i fear that the longer this goes on, the better chance that he gets off scotch-free.

His race-baiting makes me wanna gouge my eyes out, but this probably will earn him respect in Detroit. There are people out there that cherish the fact that their leader is crooked.

EDIT: LOL @ Kwame making Detroit a laughing stock, as if people weren't laughing already. But you're right, he's deflecting the blame to the white people that he claims that are harrassing him and his family.

cheshguy, you made me realize that we're ALL outsiders regarding this. There are very few insiders and to understand who those people are, you have to completely abandon everything you know about logic, ethics, standards, compassion, morals, reason, etc...and that's hard to do. Getting caught purjuring himself was one thing, and so were all the other things in his dirty laundry, but to continue to build on that, this time as the public is watching every move is beyond understanding for most people.

The man has lost his mind, and he has showed every bit of evidence that he's not even willing to try and get it back. When he came on TV and apologized a month or so ago and scolded everyone to leave his wife and kids out of this mess, and then to come on TV again (under time allotted for the state of the city) and use his wife and kids as an attack shield, speaks very loudly of his character.

It's like I said before, Kwame is like Kate Winslett's evil boyfriend in the movie Titanic. It's he who puts himself in the life boat before the women and children to save his own life. What he fails to see is that the ship he refuses to abandon is the one that's sinking and that everyone's trying to flee from. Up is down and down is up with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, she did it!!! Kym Worhty files a 12 count inditment against Kwame and whats her name including some felonies. Do you guys think he will step down now? Whats sad is I don't even know if that was a rhetorical question or not.

EDIT: I guess we'll find out at noon when Kwayme speaks.

• 3 months later...

I don't think anything could defend him at this point. It seems like the first thing I always read in these "defense pieces" is the praise for his charm or public speaking skills. I think many can agree with that but the rest of what it takes to be good leader is highly lacking. Oh sure, new development has come, adjustments made to balance the budget, but I hope people realize it takes a lot of other people to make that stuff happen.

I personally never credit mayors with development. They aren't so much the risk takers. The investors are. I've heard claims (I have no sources handy) that the city has done little to organize meetings and tours with businessmen who have interest in locating in the city. Kilpatrick should be the first person to meet them.

The city during Kilpatrick's term is in the worst state ever, much of it due to the economy. This man should be working overtime to put this city back together. Instead he's wasting time sending scandalous text messages. I don't care what it is he's doing, the fact that he's not devoting all of his focus toward the city is troubling. It would be like surfing the net all day at work. It's a company loss.

Part of being focused is avoiding situations that get you in trouble, and make an embarrassment of the administration. Detroit topped headlines worldwide. If crime wasn't our bad reputation, it's our cities leadership. What kind of message does that send to people who want to locate to Detroit? Projecting an image of a dysfunctional administration will tell the same story of the state of the city in general.

At this point I could care less if the state takes over. It seems like there is headline after headline of scandal and disagreement among members. Meanwhile, the city faces huge deficits, major school cuts, and a disintegrating economy. If the worst of our problems are yet to come. I wonder how this current administration could ever handle it.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe folks are too busy reading and commenting on the Freep's stuff.

Personally I was appalled by the embroidered French cuffs (photo in Friday's paper, mentioned by a sharp-eyed reader in yesterday's).

ETA: I changed my sig line Thursday, does that count?

I'm not surprised by the relative quiet. Really, what else is there to say about this?

EDIT:

I take that back. I just saw in the News that there is a witness that seems to definitively proove that rumored wild party at the mayor's mansion. But, here's the kicker, his wife supposedly assaulted the since-murdered stripper. This really does keep getting crazier and crazier.

I'm now convinced (because I wasn't before) that if he doesn't resign, the citizens will run him out of the city.

Some of the posters on Freep.com have mentioned that K2's City pension kicks in after November, which is why he's still clinging to the ledge. I hope this gets investigated. (Why would he need a pension if he's getting "three hots and a cot"?)

With two Strawberry-related affidavits now in the public record, other witnesses will be stepping up.

This guy has some big balls for going on vacation at a time like this. I know he's entitled to it, but he should be doing everything he possibly can to make people take his side. I know if I was performing bad at my job and I tried to take a vacation I would come under some extremely heavy fire.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...NEWS01/80813062

Actually, prominent community leaders have been asking him to at least take a leave of absence if he hasn't decided to resign. In fact, this is a pretty common request of community leaders in municipalities where the mayor is under serious investigation or indicted.

Plus, as long as this has already dragged on, there is no one left to lead over to his side. Everyone has already made up there minds about where they stand. His options, barring some decision to resign, are to continue on as if nothing is happening, or take some time away from the city. Looks like he took the latter.

Wow, freep.com is changing every fifteen minutes.

He's on vacation.

Whoops, no he's not. He's "hard at work" at the CAY.

One judge relieves the tether, yes, go to the convention.

Original judge brings that back, limits him to Wayne county, no convention.

Obama campaign: keep him, we don't want him here.

National leaders are weighing in.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, answering questions after a speech at an automotive conference in Traverse City, was asked today what he thought of the prospect of Kilpatrick attending the Democratic convention as a superdelegate later this month.

Archived