Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick

ScheuerJD

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of it is from Dennis Archer, and from the city itself, but I do think the mayor is responsible for some of the current stuff. He seems to be good at arranging money, business, and I like the idea of restructuring the government.

Kwame picked up a lot of the former administration's "passing of the baton" quite well. He even did a lot to spur further goodness upon the city. To me, that shouldn't be in question...ever...about Kwame. People heavily invested and largely influential in Detroit and beyond will tell you that truthfully.

But from my experiences living in the city, I'm getting the feeling from my neighbors and the like that they are very disappointed and angry. Prior to all the intense scandal, I got the feeling that most were supporters. So, I'm starting to form this conclusion that those who reelected him, did it because they they believed he could lead the way they expected him to. Yah, people talk about how "he was blacker than Freeman Hendrix" and all that b/s, and sometimes that's convincing, but I'm hearing more genuine examples of anger toward him from the residents, which is a refreshing thing to know that people are starting to understand the seriousness of Kwame's actions.

What upsets me is how a lot of people immediately point to Bill Clinton and George Bush and their scandals. They're different and even so, why would you want your leader to only max out his ethical standards to that of low-level ones emulated by past presidents and current leaders? It's like saying, our leadership has the right to be scandalous too...and on my dime. And that's where I think people confuse themselves because I think they convince themselves that the reality is more fantasy and that this world doesn't produce consequences for poor dicisions.

Now, imagine if Kwame gets off with a little slap on the wrist. The problem I listed above snowballs into the future and our standards are lowered even further, making it more difficult to hold people accountable, whether it is a mayor robbing tax payers, or Joe Citizen robbing a bank.

More importantly, if Kilpatrick resigns, do you think Cockrell will continue in his footsteps and move the city forward, economically. Or are will looking at CY all over again.

The two tend to agree on numerous issues (i.e. Cockrell has voted for nearly every proposal kilpatrick brought up from water raises to privitizations).

Whoever follows Kilpatrick will likely not skip a beat in terms of moving the city forward. Sure, there is that threat of a less-effective leader, but I think the business community in Greater Detroit and those who have vested interest in Detroit from around the country is large enough and growing that the city will be fine.

Archived