Sixth Street/MLK - Farmington Area

Sammy00

I looked for a good while and could not find a thread dedicated to Sixth Street.

So I will begin the thread informing those of you who don't know that Sixth Street will officially become Martin Luther King Boulevard effective Martin Luther King Day 2009.

The vote passed unanimously and will cost the city approximately $7,500.

Although it passed unanimously, 71 businesses signed a petition saying it would cost too much to change business stationary.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked for a good while and could not find a thread dedicated to Sixth Street.

So I will begin the thread informing those of you who don't know that Sixth Street will officially become Martin Luther King Boulevard effective Martin Luther King Day 2009.

The vote passed unanimously and will cost the city approximately $7,500.

Although it passed unanimously, 71 businesses signed a petition saying it would cost too much to change business stationary.

There wasn't a dedicated topic for it. It was just mentioned in the Fayetteville topic. I can see the businesses not being particularly happy about it. Although they probably should have known it was coming. The city mentioned it was making it an honorary street for a time to give businesses time for the eventual change over. I'm still a bit surprised to see the subject being such a big polarizing topic. But it certainly seems people have strong feelings about it on both sides.

I don't like the name change personally. It is a noble idea but not a good one. They can create a new road somewhere and call that one what they want, but to change the name of a major road.... Unless it has some economic value or is tied to a local who was at the heart of it maybe.

I don't like it and fully understand the businesses. By the way, how many business are there on 6th street? 71 seems like a lot to go against something like this for only being a few miles of impacted area.

• 11 months later...

Well, its official. Now visitors from around the country will assume that Hwy 62 is the entrance to the ghetto. Goodbye 6th street, hello MLK.

:rolleyes

Let's be a little more positive. Although I think the gesture is a little past its prime, we all know that sixth street is not a ghetto. Besides, it is on the docket to receive street improvements since it is part of the gateway region into Fayetteville and the University.

I understand that. I'm also aware of the connotations attached to MLK in most large cities. I think its the worst possible choice for MLK, since its the primary gateway into Fayetteville for visitors. Its like building a nice house putting a big ugly permanent trashcan in your front yard.

We know its not bad, but people from out of town don't. MLK may be a noble gesture, but it does nothing to enhance our image or the University of Arkansas' for that matter, in the minds of most people who have a crime ridden MLK in their hometowns.

I'd like to hear more about these planned improvements.

I'm glad to see it renamed. As for attracting crime (lulz for assuming Black people = crime), I'm pretty sure "sixth street" couldn't reach any lower. But it's merely conciliatory as the city of Fayetteville has done nothing to provide services for historically disadvantaged ethnic groups. Southside Fayetteville = poor = Black. And after all, there are more squirrels on campus than Black folk.

Edit: I've never called 540 the bypass :huh: I've always called it and heard it referred to as the freeway.

I'm glad to see it renamed. As for attracting crime (lulz for assuming Black people = crime), I'm pretty sure "sixth street" couldn't reach any lower. But it's merely conciliatory as the city of Fayetteville has done nothing to provide services for historically disadvantaged ethnic groups. Southside Fayetteville = poor = Black. And after all, there are more squirrels on campus than Black folk.

I'm not talking about it attracting crime. I'm talking about perceptions. Haven't you ever heard the old Chris Rock routine about how if you are on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, you're in the hood? That's what I am talking about. That is the cliche'd perception of MLK everywhere. Thats just a general rule. Don't blame me for the reality.

Bottom line is MLK hurts the perceptions people have about an area. Thats not my fault anymore than the sky being blue. Its just the way it is.

I'd like to hear more about these planned improvements.

Although there is no Sixth Street master plan, improvements have already begun with the completion of the Mill District, Frisco Trail, widening of Razorback Road, and Sixth Street is part of the Walker Neighborhood Master Plan. I would like to see continued improvement since Sixth Street hosts tremendous gameday traffic.

With projects like the new Fayetteville High School, Hill Place, Victory Commons and the unnamed student housing just west of Hill Place the thoroughfare will represent a vibrant growing community concerned about education. With the other improvements mentioned it will be an asset to the city's image. Of course- the feed mill area will give it an industrial feel at the South School corner but that can be seen as a reflection of the city's history.

I can see how the name change would irritate anyone with a business along it though.

Changing the name of a street may be honoring, but it also could have economic impacts. And while it is a stereotype about the name, there is a reason for it too. In Little Rock, MLK Dr. is one of those streets that parents tell their kids never to drive on. I don't know of many businesses that are located there. When the Clinton presidential library opened, Little Rock tried to make the city all "kosher" and to help do so, they changed the name of Confederate Blvd. to Springer Blvd. Frankly, if they knew that people would be dumb enough to find that offenseive, they should know that there are people dumb enough to avoid a street named after MLK. I mean, sure, its great to recognize a great man, but its now becoming at best, politically correct, and at worst, apologetic. If you really want to honor MLK, put a statue up on campus or something. That would be cool. Spend the $7,500 on that.

When the Clinton presidential library opened, Little Rock tried to make the city all "kosher" and to help do so, they changed the name of Confederate Blvd. to Springer Blvd.

Actually, that portion of Confederate Blvd. was renamed to Springer Blvd. in 1974 -- five years before Clinton was even governor. However, the signage on I-440 referenced Confederate Blvd., which still exists and runs in front of Little Rock National Cemetery. The signs were changed in advance of the library opening, not the name of the street.

I'm not talking about it attracting crime. I'm talking about perceptions. Haven't you ever heard the old Chris Rock routine about how if you are on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, you're in the hood? That's what I am talking about. That is the cliche'd perception of MLK everywhere. Thats just a general rule. Don't blame me for the reality.

Bottom line is MLK hurts the perceptions people have about an area. Thats not my fault anymore than the sky being blue. Its just the way it is.

This is really one of the least convincing arguments I've ever heard. For one thing, the signs will also say "University of Arkansas", which carries no "ghetto" connotation. If anything, the idea of a historically lilly white area like Northwest Arkansas choosing to honor MLK says something pretty positive about Fayetteville. It would be nice, though, if the UA would quit pricing Arkansas' black population out of a college education.

Now if someone wanted to rename 412 "Ceaser Chavez Boulevard" I might see some people getting irritated ... ;)

This is really one of the least convincing arguments I've ever heard. For one thing, the signs will also say "University of Arkansas", which carries no "ghetto" connotation. If anything, the idea of a historically lilly white area like Northwest Arkansas choosing to honor MLK says something pretty positive about Fayetteville. It would be nice, though, if the UA would quit pricing Arkansas' black population out of a college education.

Now if someone wanted to rename 412 "Ceaser Chavez Boulevard" I might see some people getting irritated ... ;)

I've lived in larger cities, and most Americans do, or live near them.

If I am driving along the highway, looking for a place to stop to get gas, or get a bite to eat, I would never pick MLK when there are other choices. Its almost always a terrible, run down, crime infested part of town. So much so that there's even a comedy routine about it. Its funny only because its true.

You're naive if you don't get it. I see that you don't.

I'm not opposed to MLK Boulevard per se, I am opposed to the city making stupid decisions that serve little to no purpose.

Name Joyce Boulevard MLK for all I care. Its all shiny and new. Nobody would even notice.

Sixth, on the other hand, is borderline. It struggles. Its probably the ugliest road in town. The LAST thing it needed was to be given a name with widely perceived negative connotations.

Lioneld Jordan's never lived anywhere else, so I understand his naivete, too. It doesn't mean I won't point it out.

I've lived in larger cities, and most Americans do, or live near them.

If I am driving along the highway, looking for a place to stop to get gas, or get a bite to eat, I would never pick MLK when there are other choices. Its almost always a terrible, run down, crime infested part of town. So much so that there's even a comedy routine about it. Its funny only because its true.

You're naive if you don't get it. I see that you don't.

I'm not opposed to MLK Boulevard per se, I am opposed to the city making stupid decisions that serve little to no purpose.

Name Joyce Boulevard MLK for all I care. Its all shiny and new. Nobody would even notice.

Sixth, on the other hand, is borderline. It struggles. Its probably the ugliest road in town. The LAST thing it needed was to be given a name with widely perceived negative connotations.

Lioneld Jordan's never lived anywhere else, so I understand his naivete, too. It doesn't mean I won't point it out.

You're not Chris Rock and this isn't Memphis, so your analogy is apples to oranges. If you think renaming 6th will kill it, that's fine, but it seems like a pretty simplistic conclusion to me.

You're not Chris Rock and this isn't Memphis, so your analogy is apples to oranges. If you think renaming 6th will kill it, that's fine, but it seems like a pretty simplistic conclusion to me.

Chris Rock's routine was funny, for mass consumption, because its generally true. If you'd lived anywhere else, maybe you'd get it. Its a stereotype, yet those things influence people's decisions all the time. 6th is where visitors first enter Fayetteville probably 90% of the time. You are correct. This isn't Memphis. Why are we renaming our street MLK to begin with?

I don't think it will kill 6th. I never said that. I know almost certainly that it won't help 6th at all. And I'm inclined to believe that it will hurt outsiders' opinions of it for the reasons stated.

The city needed a better reason for this than some lady from out of town threatening to call them all racists if they didn't rename it. It wasn't thought out and it was a stupid decision for the wrong reasons. But I see from your previous post that you are inclined to call people and institutions racist if outcomes don't meet your idealistic expectations. I see where you're coming from. Its quaint.

We need people to want to exit on 6th. Nobody will exit to spend money BECAUSE its MLK, but I'm willing to bet quite a few won't.

Chris Rock's routine was funny, for mass consumption, because its generally true. If you'd lived anywhere else, maybe you'd get it. Its a stereotype, yet those things influence people's decisions all the time. 6th is where visitors first enter Fayetteville probably 90% of the time. You are correct. This isn't Memphis. Why are we renaming our street MLK to begin with?

How in the heck do you think you know where I've lived or where I've been? Of course I am familiar with Rock's routine, which is more of a commentary on the continued degradation of inner cities than anything else. If you can exhibit that areas with streets named MLK are crime ridden because they are named MLK, that would be one thing. If, on the other hand, streets named MLK exist in areas that have continually been neglected, then that is a poor reflection on our society, not on something as inconsequential as a street name.

MLK might be the only street some travelers through the area would feel comfortable getting off at. Whether it's still deserved or not- the area has had in the past and to some extent still has an image as being racially insensitive. For business people looking to relocate from large urban areas to NWA having a street named MLK may help change that image. For NWA and Fayetteville to continue it's economic developement we need the skilled workers to come here from every background and area of the country and world. I think it has been documented that some potential employees have sited NWA's lack of diversity as a reason for not coming here.

But I see from your previous post that you are inclined to call people and institutions racist if outcomes don't meet your idealistic expectations. I see where you're coming from. Its quaint.

I didn't call anything racist, first of all. My point was that the UA will always have difficulty meeting its goals for minority enrollment as long as it keeps jacking up tuition every year.

Second, if you really think that Chris Rock thinks black-on-black crime is funny and not a tragedy, then you heard him, but you weren't listening. But your handle seems to imply that you talk out of your rear end, so I'll let it go.

I didn't call anything racist, first of all. My point was that the UA will always have difficulty meeting its goals for minority enrollment as long as it keeps jacking up tuition every year.

Second, if you really think that Chris Rock thinks black-on-black crime is funny and not a tragedy, then you heard him, but you weren't listening. But your handle seems to imply that you talk out of your rear end, so I'll let it go.

You connect just as many dots as I do.

Sure, I think Chris Rock thinks black on black crime is funny. Right....

I heard Chris Rock fine. I know that its funny only because its true (and ironic, dontcha think?) And people don't avoid MLK and Malcom X Blvd in Dallas because they're racist. The avoid it because its notorious for crime. The same way they used to avoid Harry Hines Blvd, but I digress.

For someone who gets paid (a little) to be an observer without ever really doing anything, you sure aren't very good at inference in this matter.

You think it was a great thing. Great. If you do, you do in spite of the very real connotations the name carries for probably the majority of Americans. It sure as heck isn't neutral. Its potentially negative with little to no upside for business, and thats not a risk the city should have taken to appease some random activist.

Well, since you're an observer and not a doer, you don't really have anything riding on it, do you? Funny how easy it is when you never have to actually do anything but make a few phone calls and fill up a few columns of fishwrap about topics with which you have no experience.

You shouldn't be the one to opine about someone else talking about of their butt. You said everything was fine for Barber a few months back, I see. so much for your opinions...

Archived