Michigan Winter Beer Festival moves to GR

GRDadof3

Or what about on one of the surface lots South of the Arena? Area 4/5? How many square feet are required? The only reason I ask is that Calder Plaza is a little desolate, whereas the Ionia Ave area has a more urban feel to it. Plus, it gives visitors the ability to check out downtown a little easier, afterward.

• 10 months later...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! I can't wait.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/...to_the_mic.html

It will be out in the parking lot this year and they'll sell 3000 tickets instead of 2500 last year. There were definitely places in the stadium last year that were super crowded.

I wonder if they will still be using the stadium bathrooms, or if they'll just setup a massive porta potty corral somewhere.

You'll see that I commented and asked why they weren't holding this downtown if they were just going to use the parking lot and not the stadium. The blog writer responded that the Guild Exec. mentioned that they'd at least discussed having it downtown. I imagine that it was just easier for them to just deal with the 5/3rd park staff they dealt with last year. They don't have a lot of staff to set all this stuff up.

Plenty of free parking next to a venue having some infrastructure already in place hosting thousands is a big reason for having it at 5/3, not only to visitors but to the sponsors. Don't forget there's a great deal of setup and break down that's easier done within a secure, central confine with easy access.

The growing popularity of the event suggests they're doing it right.

Plenty of free parking next to a venue having some infrastructure already in place hosting thousands is a big reason for having it at 5/3, not only to visitors but to the sponsors. Don't forget there's a great deal of setup and break down that's easier done within a secure, central confine with easy access.

The growing popularity of the event suggests they're doing it right.

As for the vendor setup and breakdown, we have events and festivals drawing over 3000 people downtown many times during the year and there doesn't seem to be any problem with access to setup and takedown these events. Parking at noon on a Saturday in February downtown is not an issue either.

Is parking free?

Nope. Why does this matter? Parking isn't free at any event at VanAndel Arena or DeVos place and yet people still show up. Parking isn't even free at Whitecaps games.

Is it close?

Yes. There is plenty of parking within two blocks of the Area 4/5 lot. And people who are willing to stand outside in the cold to drink beer can certainly walk a few blocks out in the cold as well. People who stay downtown will not even need to park.

Who would offer their lot for the event?

The owners of the parking lot of course.

Who *has* a lot big enough?

Based on the number of booths and areas that they had setup for beer last year, a footprint similar in size to the one for Mayweather's 4th of July carnival should be plenty big.

What's the financial benefit to the lot owner?

I would guess that the Michigan Brewer's Guild would pay them, just like they pay to use 5/3rd Ballpark.

Is a special permit needed?

Probably. But it seems like the city has people who's job it is to help get these permits. And isn't the DDA subsidizing some of these fees for events that get people to gather downtown?

Are there added security requirements?

With a more open area, there are probably more security requirements. But there will be more security requirements this year as well because they'll be doing it in the parking lot as opposed to the enclosed confines of the stadium itself.

How many porta potty's would need to be rented, and at what cost?

A lot. The non-profit rate I've gotten for my event is $70/toilet, but that's only for 3. I imagine you get a discount if you order a lot of them. And they would probably get a further discount if they ordered them from the same company they got their tents from. I'd guess Baker Tent, which is just a couple of miles from downtown.

They'll be renting lots of porta potties for the parking lot this year anyways. I'll be curious to see if they rely solely on those, or if they try and set it up so they can still make use of the outfield bathrooms inside the stadium.

How cost effective would DT be over 5/3?

I couldn't say for sure, because I don't know the numbers for each facility. But, it would definitely be a better event with all the additional food and entertainment opportunities (seems like the pedicabs could make a pretty good haul). And it would likely reduce the amount of drunk driving for reasons that have been mentioned above. The drunk driving issue alone should be a huge consideration when you're holding an event like this.

Is parking free?

Nope. Why does this matter? Parking isn't free at any event at VanAndel Arena or DeVos place and yet people still show up. Parking isn't even free at Whitecaps games.

---

Its free at 5/3, that's why. Beer drinkers appreciate that.

---

Is it close?

Yes. There is plenty of parking within two blocks of the Area 4/5 lot. And people who are willing to stand outside in the cold to drink beer can certainly walk a few blocks out in the cold as well. People who stay downtown will not even need to park.

---

Even better if you don't have to cross streets. Don't be too sure about their willingness ... I've seen people spend a ton of time trying to park as close as possible to the GYM they work out at. Then there's security considerations for unaccompanied females getting back to their cars.

---

Who would offer their lot for the event?

The owners of the parking lot of course.

---

Great, give me some names.

---

Who *has* a lot big enough?

Based on the number of booths and areas that they had setup for beer last year, a footprint similar in size to the one for Mayweather's 4th of July carnival should be plenty big.

---

Weren't there crime issues at the carnival?

---

What's the financial benefit to the lot owner?

I would guess that the Michigan Brewer's Guild would pay them, just like they pay to use 5/3rd Ballpark.

---

Another cost looming to be passed on to the attendee.

---

Is a special permit needed?

Probably. But it seems like the city has people who's job it is to help get these permits. And isn't the DDA subsidizing some of these fees for events that get people to gather downtown?

---

Without subsidy another cost that will need to be passed on

---

Are there added security requirements?

With a more open area, there are probably more security requirements. But there will be more security requirements this year as well because they'll be doing it in the parking lot as opposed to the enclosed confines of the stadium itself.

---

Another cost.

---

How many porta potty's would need to be rented, and at what cost?

A lot. The non-profit rate I've gotten for my event is $70/toilet, but that's only for 3. I imagine you get a discount if you order a lot of them. And they would probably get a further discount if they ordered them from the same company they got their tents from. I'd guess Baker Tent, which is just a couple of miles from downtown.

They'll be renting lots of porta potties for the parking lot this year anyways. I'll be curious to see if they rely solely on those, or if they try and set it up so they can still make use of the outfield bathrooms inside the stadium.

---

Another added cost.

---

How cost effective would DT be over 5/3?

I couldn't say for sure, because I don't know the numbers for each facility. But, it would definitely be a better event with all the additional food and entertainment opportunities (seems like the pedicabs could make a pretty good haul). And it would likely reduce the amount of drunk driving for reasons that have been mentioned above. The drunk driving issue alone should be a huge consideration when you're holding an event like this.

---

A good event isn't necessarily a successful one without a compromise between location & cost. All I'm saying is before you say 'hey, let's have it downtown!', there needs to be realistic appraisal. Attempts to mitigate drunk driving, while commended, isn't a direct factor which will spell the difference between success and failure.

---

Final note: considering the time we've discussed this perhaps we should do our own legwork on this and see what can be done, maybe over a beer at Founders. If we get too sloshed at least the bus station is across the street :)

• 4 weeks later...

One more week.

The list of breweries has been published on the Michigan Brewers' Guild blog:

http://www.mbgmash.org/

43 breweries represented. Some of the breweries have their beers listed.

I really hope the weather cooperates for the bonfire. That would be pretty awesome!

Also, Delilah DeWylde and the Lost Boys will be providing the live entertainment.

Archived