1. 1. What do do?

• Do nothing; we need more private schools
    • Build new High School and sell the current one
    • Keep and renovate the current High School
    • Renovate some of current High School and build a small new High School

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What an utter laughable joke this has turned out to be. Being a skilled conspiracy theorist I'd say there are two possibilities here:

a) the obvious option of CBG being a gambit to drive up the university's bid, or

b) CBG was a totally independent third player with the intent of stirring up enough animosity to kill the whole project

And now the $64,000 question...if the school district accepts the UA's $50 million dollar offer (which could be several million less after the leaseback is figured in), will it be contingent on a millage increase being aproved by the voters? Can they sell the present high school without having the full financing to build at a new location? I can't imagine a private individual or business entering into a contract like that- it would be risky. I also can't see the UA entering into a contract without that contingency although the school district may see it as a way to pressure the voters into passing whatever property tax increase they deem necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if the absolute dead silence on this issue signifies anything in particular?

I've drove through the FHS campus to scope out how much space there is and it seems on the west and south sides of the site there is a lot of space that could be used for temporary parking while the new bulding is constructed on the present large parking lot. The tennis courts would have to be moved elsewhere but that seems a small thing in the bigger picture.

The school district shouold have followed the UA's lead and bought properties next to the campus over the years. The area just east of FHS could be bought even now to give more room for expansion at that site. There is a apartment complex that could be bought and the land used for a new administration building so that the officials could stay in close proximity to the school.

Wonder if the absolute dead silence on this issue signifies anything in particular?

I've drove through the FHS campus to scope out how much space there is and it seems on the west and south sides of the site there is a lot of space that could be used for temporary parking while the new building is constructed on the present large parking lot. The tennis courts would have to be moved elsewhere but that seems a small thing in the bigger picture.

The school district should have followed the UA's lead and bought properties next to the campus over the years. The area just east of FHS could be bought even now to give more room for expansion at that site. There is a apartment complex that could be bought and the land used for a new administration building so that the officials could stay in close proximity to the school.

Rogers Heritage High School was dedicated this past weekend and is a great example of what can be done with an exisiting facility instead of abandoning it completely. The building was the original high school for Rogers and when the new high school was built southwest of there the district spent a relatively low $39 million on renovation and new construction to create a beautiful facilty for it's students.

If the Fayetteville School District would step back and reconsider some of their decisions such as having only one large high school instead of two smaller ones they would see a shift of public support for a millage increase to fund improvements. Keeping the present FHS site and making improvements there while planning a second high school would not only be better for the studetns but the community as a whole.

NWANews.com article

Rogers Heritage High School was dedicated this past weekend and is a great example of what can be done with an exisiting facility instead of abandoning it completely. The building was the original high school for Rogers and when the new high school was built southwest of there the district spent a relatively low $39 million on renovation and new construction to create a beautiful facilty for it's students.

I personally think it's a smarter move for the University. For the FHS campus to be more easily connected as class room space to the main campus (walkable... the University does not want the academic portion of campus spread out to the point you can't walk between classes), the row of houses and private property in between would also have to be acquired, leveled, and redeveloped to provide better paths. There are currently no good connection options between the two campuses, little to no use (to the University) for the current FHS buildings without significant modification, and no good financial justification for moving forward with the deal. The money would be better spent on renovating and expanding some of the aging academic buildings that need more space, and the university has quite a few options and space they can do that with for quite some time. 40 acres bordering University property is appealing, but it'd be hard to convince many that it is a financially sound decision to buy it, at least in the forseeable future.

I do feel sorry for FHS though, best of luck to them on dealing with their expansion needs, but this might end up being for the best.

Now is the time for the Fayetteville School Board and administration to turn their time and energy to creating plans for a world class facility at the present location. This is a great opportunity to get the entire Fayetteville community excited about the possibilities- a new school that will be the envy of all of NWA in a location that can't be duplicated anywhere. I know I will vote for whatever millage increase is needed to make sure that the students and community receive the top notch learning environment that is needed for the continued success of FHS.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Coody has approached the Fayettevile Public Schools and University of Arkansas about developing an overall plan along with the City for the FHS area. Transportation issues would be a major topic of discussion and having muliple use and shared use facilities also would be looked at.

Superintendent New also made clear that a second high school was not being considered. With new and renovated facilities at the present site and a slow growth rate a second high school may not be needed for many years, although in the school board election debates some of the candidates have shown a willingness to discuss the issue. The addition of the ninth grade to the high school may also be revisited.

NWA Times article

Early voting in the school board election began today. The Election day is Sept. 16- next Tuesday. Because there are many decisions still to be possibly reconsidered and others to be made that will affect the location and overall future of FHS in the next year or so it is important that all make the effort to cast a vote.

• 3 weeks later...
Once before we thought they had decided to stay at the present location and found out that wasn't exactly true. When the construction contracts are signed I'll believe for sure that the present location is indeed where the new high school will be. Everyone with school district sounds excited about what can be done on Stone Street so that's a very positive sign. I think there will be a lot of support for the plans and millage increase.

Archived