302 Stadium Drive

New Wave

It is my belief that 302 Stadium Drive is the first modern multi-family residential building constructed in Tallahassee in many years. Is the modern and urban architectural language presented on the exterior something that you welcome in Tallahassee or something that you find offensive in this area?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is my belief that 302 Stadium Drive is the first modern multi-family residential building constructed in Tallahassee in many years. Is the modern and urban architectural language presented on the exterior something that you welcome in Tallahassee or something that you find offensive in this area?

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Tallahassee AUDevil :yahoo:

Three Zero Two

Here's an image of the project for all of you who are unfamiliar with it.

threezerotwobde7.jpg

threezerotwofs5.jpg

I know we've covered it in UPdates but have yet to truly discuss this project, so I thank you for starting this conversation.

Three Zero Two in certain ways reminds me of a Booth Property that we have grown accustomed to seeing in Tallahassee. Why? Because of the housing above the parking, the fact that its student housing, and the fact that there is slight usage of siding, it also makes use of a boxy design. However, for me, that's where the similarities stop. Three Zero Two is superior because there is some architectural uniqueness to it. The Gumby-style roof, the unique use of brick, the balconies with views of the campus, and even the "Three-Zero-Two" signage itself has a certain quality rarely seen throughout the community, one that I personally appreciate and wouldn't mind seeing more of (along Gaines Street Perhaps).

I pass by this building every day on my way to school, and i watched it go from a pile of dirt to a completed project....

I like it, It is different, it appears very upscale inside, a change from the mega apartments that are all cheaply made and the same.

I am the sole designer and project manager for 302. This was my first substantial project and am curious what kind of feedback I could get from "anonymous" sources. People give me compliments to my face, but I don't always know if they really mean it. We overcame many obstacles to get this building built and actually did it on a "Booth" type budget. I tried to create a unique environment through color, form, and materials (cheaper materials) because the budget would not allow any extravagancies.

There is some good architecture happening at the All Saints area, much of which I would not classify as strictly modern, due to some of the ornate or decorative features exposed in parts...at least I view them as decorative...but I've not interviewed the architect. I love that area and hope to contribute to it one day.

Thanks for the comments guys, and I hope that further interest in architecture can be generated in our city for the years to come, and I believe that starts with interesting structures.

I See where you tryed to make the project look as pleasing as possible, but i can also see where you were on a budget..

I like how the porches are offset on the street scape and the pitched roof...

But The drab blue fused with the brick does sort of make a mis-match.

All in all, i think its good, out of the ordinary, and I look forward to a project when you have more funds, and can let your ideas become fully developed.

My suggestion. When you refresh the property in 5-10 years, slap a nice hunter green paint on the thing, it will blend with the pines and forest around it,

I See where you tryed to make the project look as pleasing as possible, but i can also see where you were on a budget..

I like how the porches are offset on the street scape and the pitched roof...

But The drab blue fused with the brick does sort of make a mis-match.

All in all, i think its good, out of the ordinary, and I look forward to a project when you have more funds, and can let your ideas become fully developed.

My suggestion. When you refresh the property in 5-10 years, slap a nice hunter green paint on the thing, it will blend with the pines and forest around it,

AuDevil,

I generally like it. You can tell the budget was limited, but given that....it is better than many of the structures around it. I really like how parking was put under the structure, great use of land. I generally worry about modern looking structures over time. Often they look fine at first and over time......not so good.

Personally, I REALLY like the All Saints area type of architecture MUCH more. It is timeless, classy, and has a north Florida feel. I would be disappointed if you put a strucutre like this in All Saints.

I think the design is decent. Reminds me of some of the down-town housing in Houston Texas. Kinda has an Industrial type look to it. I am glad that you sent the link for the Open House, I might stop by to see the interior. If I was to live here though I think I would appreciate it more if there were more windows besides the small box window and the Patio Door especially on the End, which I am sure are more expensive to live in. I am sure once the exterior Land scaping and all the Banners are cleaned off, I think it will look even better.

After watching the framing process on the website, I was wondering if the upstairs has a loft design to the ceiling? Also, I don't care for the color too much ether.

I like the design of this place in Ljubljana, Slovenia. It was designed using a program that we teach called Revit Architecture. Not sure why I am putting this link on here just wanted to share with anyone that isn't familiar with it.

Ofis - Social Apartments

I am the sole designer and project manager for 302. This was my first substantial project and am curious what kind of feedback I could get from "anonymous" sources. People give me compliments to my face, but I don't always know if they really mean it. We overcame many obstacles to get this building built and actually did it on a "Booth" type budget. I tried to create a unique environment through color, form, and materials (cheaper materials) because the budget would not allow any extravagancies.

There is some good architecture happening at the All Saints area, much of which I would not classify as strictly modern, due to some of the ornate or decorative features exposed in parts...at least I view them as decorative...but I've not interviewed the architect. I love that area and hope to contribute to it one day.

Thanks for the comments guys, and I hope that further interest in architecture can be generated in our city for the years to come, and I believe that starts with interesting structures.

I think the design is decent. Reminds me of some of the down-town housing in Houston Texas. Kinda has an Industrial type look to it. I am glad that you sent the link for the Open House, I might stop by to see the interior. If I was to live here though I think I would appreciate it more if there were more windows besides the small box window and the Patio Door especially on the End, which I am sure are more expensive to live in. I am sure once the exterior Land scaping and all the Banners are cleaned off, I think it will look even better.

After watching the framing process on the website, I was wondering if the upstairs has a loft design to the ceiling? Also, I don't care for the color too much ether.

I like the design of this place in Ljubljana, Slovenia. It was designed using a program that we teach called Revit Architecture. Not sure why I am putting this link on here just wanted to share with anyone that isn't familiar with it.

Ofis - Social Apartments

I couldn't agree more AUDevil regarding the architecture dialogue and interesting structures, and I think that (notwithstanding the budget and footprint limitations) the project looks great and turned out very nicely.

Also, a belated "Welcome" to the forum. With your area of expertise, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of the other issues we kick around on the board. If you don't mind posting a little info about yourself in our Welcome thread, it would be great to learn a little more about your background, etc. and what brings a creative new architect (presumably from Arizona, no? I guess that would be ASU, though) to our great, growing city :rolleyes:

Unfortunately in my book, siding is siding. I ASSume that Hardie is better than vinyl?

I must say you are good sport Devil for coming to this place for comments on a personal project. We are a tough crowd and can find fault in the simplest of things, hey that's why I like it here. :) Anyway I admire you for bringing this to the group and for providing full disclosure of your involvement in the project, however I most admire you for being civil and professional in your replies even if the comment wasn't a glowing one.

I agree w/SJ that this project is better than many going up in the FSU area (Booth Booth Booth.) However like SJ, I question how this project will look/hold-up in 20 years w/its modern appearance? What do you think about that Devil?

As far as the long term maintenance, I don't worry about the modern appearance as much as I do some of the construction methods. The project was a fight the whole way through. I don't want to publicly bash anyone or company, so I'll stop there. The owner and I had to spend an unordinary amount of time overlooking this project and I don't think some items and practices have met our expectations. There is also a little more to be done, exterior porch lights need to be switched out, the front entry element is an incorrect size, some of the exterior doors need to have glass lites, and various other issues, which I consider minor after all we've gone through. If there is a private message function for these boards then I will be happy to divulge more.

Sounds like your gonna like it here.

I like the building. I wish it were taller. I think the urbaness of that corner of campus is great. It used to be so different when i graduated high school. I dig the arcitecture of your creation. The inverse porches and wierd pitch make it look cool from the campus side. it could use some jazz facing call st though, if anything.

((side bar)) Our little corner of UP is really becoming well rounded! ((End side bar))

A big congrats to our new UP member AUDevil on a successful open house for this project. I stopped by to walk-through for a closer look and was very impressed with the design- ESPECIALLY for multi-family/student housing. I might have actually considered going into medicine if I could have lived in one of those end units with amazing views of the new Med School....... <_< Okay, so there's no way I could have survived medical school, but I still would have loved to live there :thumbsup:

Nice job!

Archived