Atando Junction

monsoon

I wanted to create a topic on the neighborhoods that are encompassed by North Tryon, 30th Street, Graham, I-85 and Sugar Creek. I am calling it Atando Junction mainly because I don't know any other name for it even though I once lived in this area off Frew Rd. See this map link to see the area that I am referring to. It seems to me this is a rather large close in area (almost as large as downtown) that we don't talk about much or hear much about. I know that it includes a couple of parks, a historic site, a number of aging 1970s apartment complexes, duplexes, some detached housing. It also includes a great deal of industrial sites on its south west side, the now abandoned Kmart strip mall and a number of neighborhood pubs and restaurants reminiscent of NoDa before it became gentrified. It's an area that has seen much better days as it is often the scene of some rough crime.

Recently CMS built a new elementary school in this distict.

So what do you folks think of the long term prospects for this area? The residential portions of it are at least reasonably close to the planned transit station in Noda and possibly near the Asian Mall.

Note:Dubone if there is already a topic for this section of town, please feel free to delete this one or move it to a more appropriate place.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you may have meant this map.

IMO, Atando Junction is going to be industrial for the forseeable future. I can't imagine how that would change. The nearest housing area is south, towards Norris Ave, which will likely remain workforce housing. 36th Street is supposed to be extended eventually and hook up with Atando Dr at Ware Ave, so that might inject some new life into the area once that happens.

As for rapid transit, is it really close enough to be considered viable? I think that would be a bit of a walk when you have Graham St right there.

I'd say this area still has a long way to go. It is still very violent as you said above and I think that any investment will steer clear until the neighborhoods are cleaned up more. Remember that the Hidden Valley Kings still have a heavy presence. CMPD is trying to crack down on gang activity though and had a huge bust late last year of gang members.

I actually work off of Graham St and Atando Ave. in the Atando Business Park. As this is not the best area, you do have to give it credit for producing much of what you love in uptown, as this is is a major fabrication and distribution point for the construction materials required for highrise development. Many of the companies have been here 30+ years and are still thriving. I would never consider living here, who wants to live in an industrial park? This part of town serves its purpose, and does hold some local gems... Try 'The Village Restaraunt', 'Mr. Charle's Restaraunt' or 'Tatsi's Restaraunt' for lunch. This area is very blue collar, and will not only be served by the Northeast Lightrail Line but also the North Commuter Rail Line. Maybe one day its principle use will change due to that, but until then I am happy to know that it is serving a great purpose to this city in its current manifestation.

Archived