Good Bye 99X

Pillsbury

I know this has nothing to do with urban planning, but this is the coffee house.

So long 99X. Thanks for the memories. Cumulus could have picked a better farewell song than that stupid Green Day song. How about some Smiths? Cure? REM? Heck, even Big Head Todd's "Bittersweet" or something. But it demonstrates how far from greatness 99X had fallen. 96 Wave is gone; 99X is gone; Channel Z, perhaps the greatest progressive rock station in Augusta ever, is gone. Y'all in Atlanta have fun listening to 100,000 watts of the Bert Show.

At its height, 99X was one of the most powerful alternative rock stations on earth. It was responsible for introducing new bands to the USA. I'll miss Steve Craig and the retro lunch, which always got me through work. I'll miss being able to hear songs that I hadn't heard in years. I liked that they could play Coldplay back to back with the Velvet Underground back to back with the Sex Pistols. But that was a long time ago and I know it grew worse with age. But still, it was a great radio station.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good riddance - I was a WRAS 88.5 & occasional WREK listener myself. Certainly it did provide mild curiosity to hear some of my favorite bands like Sebadoh & Ween get 1 or 2 songs on the air for a few weeks. But stations like 99X have a lot to do with the collapse of rock music by overhyping alternative bands too much.

Good riddance - I was a WRAS 88.5 & occasional WREK listener myself. Certainly it did provide mild curiosity to hear some of my favorite bands like Sebadoh & Ween get 1 or 2 songs on the air for a few weeks. But stations like 99X have a lot to do with the collapse of rock music by overhyping alternative bands too much.

Well sorry to throw turds at you all's parades. ;)

Perhaps if I was still in high school I would have more respect, considering the concept of playing college rock such as REM & Replacements on commercial radio was unheard of at the time.

But the reason something wasn't played on 88.5 but on 99x was only because it was on a major label. WRAS would play some major label releases because they deserved it - like the Pixies, but generally stayed away from the Smashing Pumpkins variety of alternative.

What can I say - in the 90's I was a indie film / music snob dork. I've outgrown that & have become an all out sell out, but back then I despised commercial radio.

Perhaps if I was still in high school I would have more respect, considering the concept of playing college rock such as REM & Replacements on commercial radio was unheard of at the time.

But the reason something wasn't played on 88.5 but on 99x was only because it was on a major label. WRAS would play some major label releases because they deserved it - like the Pixies, but generally stayed away from the Smashing Pumpkins variety of alternative.

What can I say - in the 90's I was a indie film / music snob dork. I've outgrown that & have become an all out sell out, but back then I despised commercial radio.

I can't believe 99x is leaving! That's all I listened to in the ATL when I wasn't listening to cd's. That sucks because atlanta's radio choices suck other than them. Country or rap. Take your pick. As far as I know dave fm was the only other halfway descent station. Why is 99x leaving? Were they bought out? Also, what is replacing the station?

The advent of new media (iTunes on the net, the iPod and portable MP3 players, the rise of satellite radio and cable music channels, etc.) has made FM broadcasting increasingly irrelevant. It no longer has the coolness factor either. I used to listen to FM, including 99X, all the time but it's been years since I tuned in.

It's the passing of an era.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived