Kalamazoo Tries to Eradicate Homelessness

tracer1138

Since Kalamazoo is my hometown I'm always eager for news, especially in the realm of development. I still regularly go to WWMT.com and check the Kalamazoo Gazette through mlive. Unfortunately there are very few people on UP from K-zoo and those that are are just too busy with other things to keep up with news. We just don't seem to have the interest in development news that other communities on that side of the state. I don't live in Kalamazoo anymore so I can't take up the reins, however, in an effort to keep things alive I did some digging and found this article from last November on Homelessness in Kalamazoo. Does anyone have info on the current progress of this initiative?

Progress Combating Homelessness in Kalamazoo

A year ago, the Kalamazoo County Affordable Housing Partnership kicked off a bold project to end homelessness in 10 years. This week the coalition of advocates for the homeless, led by LISC, released its first progress report:

There's a link in there to the K-zoo Gazette article as well.

Also... the last time I was in Kalamazoo I didn't bring my camera, but I can say that Divissier Place is all but finished and look absolutely fantastic blending perfectly into the historic style of the city. In addition, the Miller-Canfield building should be nearing completion soon. I may be headed to Kalamazoo this weekend and I will try to remember to bring my camera.

Cheers!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in downtown Kzoo today enjoying the warm temps. before the storm. The Miller-Canfield building is just about complete on the outside. It looks real nice as does the old YWCA building right next to it that was remodeld at the same time. I'd have to say that Kalamazoo's downtown ranks right up there (or close to) with the best in Michigan. It has come a long way in the last five to ten years thanks to some of the community leaders who seem to really care. I would like to think how much further it would be if it wasn't suffering from same poor Michigan economical woes.

Since Kalamazoo is my hometown I'm always eager for news, especially in the realm of development. I still regularly go to WWMT.com and check the Kalamazoo Gazette through mlive. Unfortunately there are very few people on UP from K-zoo and those that are are just too busy with other things to keep up with news. We just don't seem to have the interest in development news that other communities on that side of the state. I don't live in Kalamazoo anymore so I can't take up the reins, however, in an effort to keep things alive I did some digging and found this article from last November on Homelessness in Kalamazoo. Does anyone have info on the current progress of this initiative?

Progress Combating Homelessness in Kalamazoo

A year ago, the Kalamazoo County Affordable Housing Partnership kicked off a bold project to end homelessness in 10 years. This week the coalition of advocates for the homeless, led by LISC, released its first progress report:

There's a link in there to the K-zoo Gazette article as well.

Also... the last time I was in Kalamazoo I didn't bring my camera, but I can say that Divissier Place is all but finished and look absolutely fantastic blending perfectly into the historic style of the city. In addition, the Miller-Canfield building should be nearing completion soon. I may be headed to Kalamazoo this weekend and I will try to remember to bring my camera.

Cheers!

Archived