The Mayweather Experience

Floyd Z

I'm suprised no one has metioned this, but Floyd Mayweather is having a three day 'blowout' around downtown Feb 8-10.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/mayw...e_bringing.html

This sounds like fun, although I probably won't be around that weekend. The rap contest and basketball game will be interesting, GR has some pretty big rap talent. Some very high profile celebrities are coming to downtown GR including Jadakiss and Styles P (two of my favorites) Too bad all the artists arnt all putting on a show, that would be sweet. I am kind of suprised Willie the Kid wasn't included. Here's a rundown of the events:

The King of the Ring Freestyle Battle" rap contest, 7 p.m. Feb. 8 at The DeltaPlex Arena, 2500 Turner Ave. NW. The prize is $10,000. Judges to include Kid Capri, Jadakiss, Styles P, Swizz Beats and Shauna.

Money Mayweather Celebrity Basketball Game,to benefit the Floyd Mayweather Foundation, 4 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Van Andel Arena. Artists include Jadakiss, Lloyd, Souljah Boy, Bow Wow, Christina Milian, Spindarella, Chilli (of TLC fame), Keyshia Cole, B2K and others.

Mayweather Promotions presents the Kid Capri Birthday Bash, 9:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at DeVos Place. There is a Best Dressed Contest.

Cedric "The Entertainer" Comedy Show, 7 p.m. Feb. 10 at Van Andel Arena.

I'm interested to see what the turnout will be like, I wonder if Cedric can sell out the VanAndel. This seems like it was announced on fairly short notice. Anyone planning on going?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious what corporate sponsors are going to line up behind this event.

If it's anything like those celebrity basketball or softball tournaments you see on MTV, I think I'll probably stay home. I wonder if any city leaders will be involved with The Experience

But I do give him credit for trying to help out Grand Rapids and the Cancer Society. I think with a little more lead time, this could be pretty successful.

As for ticket prices, $22.00 and up is a little steep. No children's pricing for the celebrity basketball game....I can't imagine many families wanting to shell that out. He's no Hannah Montana.

I think that anything that draws regional and national attention to our city is a great thing. On the same note, with anything that will hold a spotlight on the city (like Festival on the Grand) you hope that everything goes well without incidents.

Nobody's "taking over the city" theres going to be 4 events in and around Grand Rapids. This event could help Grand Rapids shed a little bit of its conservative feel. Just because there will be rappers here doesn't mean there will be a gang war or a bunch or stabbings and shootings. Just because there was a violent act downtown (which had nothing to do with rappers or boxers) doesn't mean we should all never go downtown again or wait a couple months to schedule things downtown. Maybe the benefit will raise more money with a higher influx of people downtown. I really think there is nothing to worry about.

Nobody's "taking over the city" theres going to be 4 events in and around Grand Rapids. This event could help Grand Rapids shed a little bit of its conservative feel. Just because there will be rappers here doesn't mean there will be a gang war or a bunch or stabbings and shootings. Just because there was a violent act downtown (which had nothing to do with rappers or boxers) doesn't mean we should all never go downtown again or wait a couple months to schedule things downtown. Maybe the benefit will raise more money with a higher influx of people downtown. I really think there is nothing to worry about.

I can tell you those are some big names. huge names. This should draw people from all over Michigan, and probably from Chicago.

As far as the comment about Grand Rapids being conservative, downtown isn't as conservative as areas like Jenison and Hudsonville, and rappers don't usually walk around sidewalks shooting people. pretty sure theres not much to worry about.

There is a task force charged with bringing a wider range of entertainment options that appeal to minorities for the Arena, DeVos Hall, DeVos Place, etc.

Looks like Floyd hit the trifecta. :thumbsup:

I think it's great...but like everything else, these types of events will only continue if they are profitable. I hope there's a huge turnout.

I can tell you those are some big names. huge names. This should draw people from all over Michigan, and probably from Chicago.

As far as the comment about Grand Rapids being conservative, downtown isn't as conservative as areas like Jenison and Hudsonville, and rappers don't usually walk around sidewalks shooting people. pretty sure theres not much to worry about.

I just read the Weekend section in the Press and it sounds like they are ramping up already for a Summer event similar to this (maybe bigger?) in GR, that would coincide with the 1 year anniversary of the Mayweather Foundation's formation. This is the third such event they have done, with this being the largest so far.

Mayweather 3rd party is a charm

A number of the entertainers, probably 8 of them, were on my Northwest flight from Detroit to Grand Rapids this afternoon. The guy sitting next to me said he was performing this weekend although I'm not sure who he was. Soulja Boy was one that I semi-recognized (a quick google image search just confirmed that it was him)

Just got back from the basketball game. It was neat seeing so many celebrities in one spot here in town, including 50 cent. If I had a guess, it looked like 6,500-7,000 were in attendance. The lower bowl was filled with some folks scattered in the upper bowl. Not bad for only two weeks notice. The less I have to travel a few hours to see good entertainment, the better.

Thrillhouse, what other celebs were in attendance? I hope this town has enough bottles of Cristal for tonight ;)

Joe

Just got back from the basketball game. It was neat seeing so many celebrities in one spot here in town, including 50 cent. If I had a guess, it looked like 6,500-7,000 were in attendance. The lower bowl was filled with some folks scattered in the upper bowl. Not bad for only two weeks notice. The less I have to travel a few hours to see good entertainment, the better.

Did any UrbanPlaneters attend, or know of anyone who attended, any of these events? If so, what was the impression?

With all the hooplah regarding the police chief, was it right for the city to stand behind a promotion who the head lining (unannounced) guest, 50 Cent, was a former drug dealer and gang member? Or where he raps about on albums how to rob people or has a video game promoting the thug life?

What does the Police cheif have to do with 50 cent? 50 cent is all talk anyways, you can't believe everything you hear. Should we not allow criminals in Grand Rapids? Even if their fame can help bring in more money for charities?

How many shootings/stabbings/gang wars occured this weekend as a result of these events?

Archived