Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I did a search, and couldn't find any thread that covers really small developments Uptown, so here we go.

First news item. Since BofA has bought the Mint Museum of Craft + Design on N. Tryon (the old Montaldo's dept. store), there has been lots of speculation of what would occur....RISD, Saks, etc. Instead, they will be donating the building to The Foundation for the Carolinas, which is the major non-profit "resource center" for the region. They are currently located on S. Tryon next to Emerson Joseph. The move would be a big expansion, and they have stated they will be adding meeting rooms. This won't happen until UNCC and and MM of C+D have moved out.

I'm initially let down by this news. While I think they do a great service, that building could be generating a lot more pedestrian traffic. I hope the The Foundation includes ground floor retail, and reserves their meeting rooms/office space for the upper floors.

I think this thread was needed, to flesh out the little happenings here and there. I noticed a streetlevel retail store in Uptown a few months ago. It's sad but I was shocked and excited to see a store in our supposed "city". But hey it's progress.... I think it's on 4th St. I know it's adjacent to a parking garage. Looks like an upscale furnishings store. I did not catch the name going by. Anybody know?

Edited by voyager12

Agreed, this is a good thread for those little items that don't go anywhere else.

Some months ago, there was a significant fire in the apartment block at the dead-end of West 8th St at Graham. It burned out several units on the third floor and displaced quite a few residents. Since then, the building has been restored so precisely that you can't tell that the fire ever happened (at least not from the outside). Unfortunately I have no info on the folks that were displaced; last I heard at least a couple were planning to move back eventually.

I did a search, and couldn't find any thread that covers really small developments Uptown, so here we go.

First news item. Since BofA has bought the Mint Museum of Craft + Design on N. Tryon (the old Montaldo's dept. store), there has been lots of speculation of what would occur....RISD, Saks, etc. Instead, they will be donating the building to The Foundation for the Carolinas, which is the major non-profit "resource center" for the region. They are currently located on S. Tryon next to Emerson Joseph. The move would be a big expansion, and they have stated they will be adding meeting rooms. This won't happen until UNCC and and MM of C+D have moved out.

I'm initially let down by this news. While I think they do a great service, that building could be generating a lot more pedestrian traffic. I hope the The Foundation includes ground floor retail, and reserves their meeting rooms/office space for the upper floors.

Don't be let down. The move won't happen until 2010. Donation of the building to a charitable non profit is noble...being a bank most would expect a sell-out for big bucks. The ground floor of the building will house a $500,000 art glass collection (approx. 100 pieces) being donated by Isaac & Sonia Luski. The stipulation is that the art collection be open and free to the public. In essence, the building will still be a museum -- only smaller and free. The upper floors will house the meeting rooms and the foundations employees.

Agreed, this is a good thread for those little items that don't go anywhere else.

Some months ago, there was a significant fire in the apartment block at the dead-end of West 8th St at Graham. It burned out several units on the third floor and displaced quite a few residents. Since then, the building has been restored so precisely that you can't tell that the fire ever happened (at least not from the outside). Unfortunately I have no info on the folks that were displaced; last I heard at least a couple were planning to move back eventually.

I work with one of them -- they are back. All units aren't complete, but he lives in one that just sustained water damage, not fire.

• 4 weeks later...

Who updates the MAPS function for Charlotte (google maps with tags for projects)? I think it needs some attention, and I've always envisioned it with thumbnailed pictures when you click on the tags. I could work on it, if I had some free time and knew how to. Anyone else?

I'm open to allowing someone with a little more free time (and knowledge of projects) to keep it updated. If interested just shoot me a PM or e-mail (neo[at]urbanplanet.org).

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a tidbit of info: A buddy of mine that's planning on a move here had an appointment at the Vue yesterday to look at the units (he loved it, by the way). The Vue guys told him there's a building to be announced, ? condo, that's going in the block across from Trademark, bound by Trade and Poplar, where that laser dermatology bldg and a sea of parking lots, and the Builder's Bldg presently sit. He didn't ask further details and I wasn't there to ask (would have peppered them with questions). I realize this is just a rumor at best but has anyone heard of any similar whisperings?

Interesting rumor.....the majority of that block is owned by 1st Presby for their parking. It would be great to see it redeveloped, as in my opinion, it is the biggest gap in the urban streetscape.

It's a relatively large parcel, hopefully we will see both office and residential.

Since the generic "SouthEnd" thread has been archived, guess I'll throw this in here:

While on the way to work this a.m., noticed (nice-looking) signage reading "1300 SouthEnd Tavern" on the side of the building where the Original Pancake House used to be. I remember the controversy and protest surrounding having a bar underneath the residences being discussed in the old thread. Looks like the tavern people won. Should have a fairly steady supply of customers from the Arlington, 1200 SouthEnd, the (presumably) hideous Crescent apartment project, and the apartments going up at the corner of Tryon and Bland ( The Reserve--?).

Today the Charlotte Observer ran a story about Charlotte Pipe and Foundry potentially moving their operations to Stanley County. This would leave a huge piece of valuable real estate open downtown. Their facility is located off of South Clarkson behind the Morehead Commons Site. They have about 40 acres on both sides of I-277. I drive by this location everyday and I think it is an eyesore coming into uptown. I hope that this gets grabbed up and developed, it would make a great addition to Uptown and could clean up that area making the drive into uptown much more pleasing. Im sure that a developer could get Brownfield Credits for redevelopment of this property. Here is a map of the land they own.Untitled.jpg

This is one I will be glad to see leave downtown as well. The smell of molten metal coming from that plant is pretty bad...it is most noticable in Third Ward.....but sometimes if the wind is blowing in the right direction you can even smell it in First Ward.

I lived in 3rd Ward for a year and never smelled the plant. This would be a huge loss for Charlotte to lose this employer.

A friend of mine who lives in Oakboro seems quite certain that they are moving. He says that they bought 105 acres and are something like tripling capacity. Says that at the Charlotte site they have 2 "machines" that produce couplings/fittings and 1 "machine" that produces pipes. At the possible new site, they will have 5 couplings/fittings "machines" and 2 or 3 pipe producing machines which will allow them to run just 1 shift and have the same production capacity as they currently have.

Edited by Raintree21

• 3 months later...

Originally, yes, there was going to be a rail spur to park car 85 behind the building. Most of the artists renderings released to the press showed this. There was also suppose to be a new maintenance barn that CTI could operate out of on the east side of the tracks. Both of those pieces have been tabled for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Per Doug Smith's article today, the building holding the Fire Engine Museum next to The Vue on 5th St. was just sold to the owner of Preferred Parking :huh: The positive is, there are now restrictive covenants that will prevent it from being demolish. The bad news is the Museum will be kicked out in about a year. The building will then likely be converted to commercial use with ground floor retail and either office or residential upstairs.

The parcel extends all the way to 6th. He already owns the rest of the block except for the parcel where The Vue is going. Sounds like a vital assembledge, that could result in a decent L-shaped midrise.

But, for now, the rest of the Fire Station parcel will be used for...........surface parking :fun:

That is terrifying news. Losing this building would be a huge blow to what's left of our historic stock. Just the conversion to ground-floor retail will probably remove the doors and character of the building. I used to walk by this almost every day and they guys would have the doors open and the firetrucks parked inside.

Why can't we be left with a little uniqueness downtown?

I read something about this building being owned by Bank of America and them applying for historical stature. What ever happened to that, and why would BofA possibly want to sell off very valuable land with a very small but powerful historic building. I don't really know how much business the museum actually had, so I don't know if that will be missed much, but certainly that structure will and needs to remain. Can't really complain about ground floor retail though. A shame something more isn't done with the lot that takes up the other half of the parcel... I'd imagine once the Vue goes up and the land becomes more valuable that eventually they will have to do something more with it.

BofA decided to sell this past spring....I'm not sure any clear reason was given as to why. The CMHLC purchased it with their revolving fund, added the preservation convenants and then put it up for sale. Stack really was the logical buyer since he owns the rest of the block.

That is terrifying news. Losing this building would be a huge blow to what's left of our historic stock. Just the conversion to ground-floor retail will probably remove the doors and character of the building. I used to walk by this almost every day and they guys would have the doors open and the firetrucks parked inside.

Why can't we be left with a little uniqueness downtown?

Don't make too many assumptions too soon. The article says nothing of this buildng coming down, and actually says the contrary. The new owner says clearly that he doesn't, and apparantly CAN'T tear it down and he knew that going into the purchase. He says he doesn't want to tear it down, and he has a preservation history under his belt (don't just hate the guy for owning parking lots -- which he has been selling here and there). He renovated and converted to condos The Frederick on Church Street -- a designated historic property. By turning it to condos it is effectively saved because anyone that would wish to tear in down in the future will have to buy out many owners instead of one. He also owns the Johnson Building on Tryon and is upfitting it.

Again, this article said nothing of the building coming down, just that it had been sold and that the Fire Museum would go and renovations would take place for new use -- retail, restaurant, or office. Personally I think this would make a fantastic restaurant space.