Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New restaurant and bar signs 15 year lease on Third Ward building at 305 W 4th Street. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/31/global-restaurant-bar-concept-is-in-the-works-for.html

Charlotte Business journal has devolved into reporting things the Agenda and Observer reported like 6 months ago. I miss Will Boye.

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah we've chatted about loft & cellar before. I initially had high hopes but I've heard the chef is a douche and their upfit budget was REALLY low. Can't imagine the finishes being stellar

The renderings in that article were the first I've seen. I'm a little underwhelmed, each floor kind of looks like every other restaurant. I still think its exciting anything so big is being done with the building, I just was hoping one level would be more intimate and raw, less polished "VIP" feeling. 

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Every nice restaurant's chef is a douche. Every server I've ever known that has been fired has been fired by the chef. You have to be a douche to be a chef.

Well. To be fair. One of my friends is a Chef of one of the top up-in-coming restaurants in Charlotte. Hes one of the nicest guys I know. Pretty sure his staff hates him.

4 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

The renderings in that article were the first I've seen. I'm a little underwhelmed, each floor kind of looks like every other restaurant. I still think its exciting anything so big is being done with the building, I just was hoping one level would be more intimate and raw, less polished "VIP" feeling. 

I think the building could use about a dozen more windows. Its SO DARK. 

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well. To be fair. One of my friends is a Chef of one of the top up-in-coming restaurants in Charlotte. Hes one of the nicest guys I know. Pretty sure his staff hates him.

Lol yes true. But yeah the decor leaves a LOT to be desired here. Not what I was expecting when I first saw those renderings a while back. Underwhelming

I remember this from a few months back.  First renderings I've seen, though.  I'll refrain from criticism until I see it in person.  At first blush, though, I think it's quite nice.  If we can put SOMETHING into the dilapidated buildings around Uptown, however temporary they may be, then I'm all for it.

Edited by alb1no panther

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

No yeah, you are right, it requires authority in the kitchen, not everyone responds to it. But I know great people that are true chefs. I've just seen some bad blood in the business in my day :ph34r:

I spoke with a friend at JLL who confirmed BofA Corporate Center is updating the architectural lighting with LEDs. Sadly, she also told me the bank is adamant that they will not change color. I get they don't want to be like Duke, but I think they should have at least installed lighting that has the capability to be changed (Panthers, July 4th, etc...). Oh well.

6 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I thought I read that there will be LED so they could change color but BAC didn't want to?

I have a friend that is working with one of the contractors doing the BAC work, as of the last time I talked to her about a month ago, they are supposed to be color changing LEDs. She said it would not be an every night thing like Duke, but for Panthers games and stuff. I can't imagine that would have changed in this short of time.

15 hours ago, Spartan said:

Didn't the current/old BofA lights require some sort of gel and a lot of lead time to change the color? 

Yup, from my understanding the color of the lights had to be manually changed with gels. I am sure that was quite a job every time.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Well this is weird and dumb. 218 W Morehead (that small parking lot that backs up to 277 at Mint and Morehead)

Project Description:

DAS Building
7000 SF IT building with up to 3 parking spaces

I know we complain about too much parknig these days but.....3 parking spaces!? LOL

They were testing the new lights on BofA last night. They had Panthers blue lights, and they were crazy bright compared to the old ones. You could see a blue "spotlight" shining into the sky. I tried to get a pic, but they turned them back to white as I was focusing my camera...

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

They were testing the new lights on BofA last night. They had Panthers blue lights, and they were crazy bright compared to the old ones. You could see a blue "spotlight" shining into the sky. I tried to get a pic, but they turned them back to white as I was focusing my camera...

I saw it last night as well. It was noticeably brighter, projecting a beacon into the sky. Via the 300 South Tryon webcam:large.300_South_Tryon_Street-20160907-003331.jpg

21 minutes ago, cjolley92 said:

I saw it last night as well. It was noticeably brighter, projecting a beacon into the sky. Via the 300 South Tryon webcam:large.300_South_Tryon_Street-20160907-003331.jpg

Yikes - I know the image quality isn't superb from a construction cam, but it looks like it really drowns out the level of detail on the crown.  It is definitely interesting to see it lit up that bright though; maybe it will grow on me.

22 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Yikes - I know the image quality isn't superb from a construction cam, but it looks like it really drowns out the level of detail on the crown.  It is definitely interesting to see it lit up that bright though; maybe it will grow on me.

It looked much better in person. Actually amplified the crown's details, in my opinion, so I am sure you'll like it. I should have taken a picture.