Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Primarily offices in the other floors.

That too. I was just trying to give a recognizable tenant :-). Love your building, congrats on the sale, you can spend your time windsurfing a little more often :-).

42 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That too. I was just trying to give a recognizable tenant :-). Love your building, congrats on the sale, you can spend your time windsurfing a little more often :-).

Ha!  You're too kind. If only.(re windsurfing). This sale is really going to be good for someone in the realestate business, and I can definitely focus more on what I do as a core business.... but as far as windsurfing, <sigh>. If only.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

From Ely's article today: " The Charlotte Chamber building at 330 South Tryon added an upscale restaurant space, and is still seeking a tenant."

What happened to Toast or whatever it was going to be?  Or am I confused?

Misprint by him. Surprised he didn't correct it. Toast is still on, just very delayed

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

I  hope the the new lights on BofA aren't done. What happened to the lights on all the tower's setbacks? Now only the crown is lit. Not a fan.

As far as I know they are replacing all the lights on the entire building. The setbacks and the crown. Currently the crown is in testing. The ground floor and lower setback lights are on. I assume they have the upper setbacks turned off so they can properly test the crown. I think the crown looks absolutely incredible. But yeah, they need the setback lights to come back

• Like 3

(*I'm not aware of a N Tryon Vision Plan thread, if there is please move)

The plan document is up as part of the Meck County Commission meeting agendas https://mecklenburg.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2834776&GUID=A097037B-164A-4AA0-8394-510B0B75DE51&Options=&Search= 

There's lots of imagery, some we know to be in the works, other images are much more conceptual. One really notable item is a proposed reclad of the Discovery Place (and some cleverly located Koontz). Fun things to imagine!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The plan document is up as part of the Meck County Commission meeting agendas https://mecklenburg.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2834776&GUID=A097037B-164A-4AA0-8394-510B0B75DE51&Options=&Search= 

There's lots of imagery, some we know to be in the works, other images are much more conceptual. One really notable item is a proposed reclad of the Discovery Place (and some cleverly located Koontz). Fun things to imagine!

if North Tryon was fully built out like their massing plan, I think uptown would be peerless among center cities in the south the size of Charlotte. Loops absolutely incredible, and urban utopia. 

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

So I just read through the vision plan and I loved some of the ideas in there. How closely will Levine adhere to what's in the plan? 

Or maybe what I'm asking is this: Is the overall plan more of a "Here's what our dream state would be..." or is it an actual planning document created with the intent to build and develop as close to the plan as possible?

13 hours ago, The Force Sleeps said:

So I just read through the vision plan and I loved some of the ideas in there. How closely will Levine adhere to what's in the plan? 

Or maybe what I'm asking is this: Is the overall plan more of a "Here's what our dream state would be..." or is it an actual planning document created with the intent to build and develop as close to the plan as possible?

From what I've seen so far, the city has a tendency to develop very beautiful conceptualizations.  It's the execution that is always incredibly lacking and leads to things like Bank of America drive thru locations at the corner of South Blvd and Iverson.  Anybody can come up with a plan, it's all about execution.  I wouldn't get too excited by any of this.

4 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

From what I've seen so far, the city has a tendency to develop very beautiful conceptualizations.  It's the execution that is always incredibly lacking and leads to things like Bank of America drive thru locations at the corner of South Blvd and Iverson.  Anybody can come up with a plan, it's all about execution.  I wouldn't get too excited by any of this.

Believe in change!  The more the city the grows, the higher the standards become.  

42 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Believe in change!  The more the city the grows, the higher the standards become.  

I would like to believe in that, unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence of this occuring (eg Southend apts)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

I would like to believe in that, unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence of this occuring (eg Southern apts)

That is why we all need to either get into the development game, or run for political office. Those are the only choices if we are passionate about the higher standards.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

The convention center concept has pros and cons. I like the effort of making it more transparent, and I like the removal of the driveway, and I'm actually not opposed to a ped bridge connecting over to Stonewall Station and Whole Foods. I think that one could make a lot of sense... but the giant ramp is a huge step backwards for College Street. That alone is enough to offset the rest of the generally positive changes.

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

That is why we all need to either get into the development game, or run for political office. Those are the only choices if we are passionate about the higher standards.

You could also join a council committee, a neighborhood organization/council, or - most importantly - show up to public meetings and communicate with city staff. There are often online ways of participating (at least in big projects) too.

• Like 4

It looks like Pearl dentistry is opening another street-level uptown location behind McCormick and Schmicks across from Abbeydale. The space is being upfit now. (I got Pearl's name off the permit in the window) https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2269042,-80.8448109,3a,75y,202.26h,84.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scuDFUxsaf1Cn2OL4tVpdTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

58 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It looks like Pearl dentistry is opening another street-level uptown location behind McCormick and Schmicks across from Abbeydale. The space is being upfit now. (I got Pearl's name off the permit in the window) https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2269042,-80.8448109,3a,75y,202.26h,84.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scuDFUxsaf1Cn2OL4tVpdTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interesting, it's surprising they can afford (and sustain) 2 uptown offices. Who knew? lol

I appreciate everyone's effort to put posts in the correct place. However, because this is an urban development discussion board, the implication of "news" in the title of this thread is that it should be related to an urban development topic. The situation going on is clearly not about urban development in center city.

I moved the discussion about the protests/riots here: 

11 minutes ago, grodney said:

I probably missed this somewhere, but there's construction fencing around Ruth's Chris.  Looks like remodeling inside?

Also, the construction blue/white paper thingy (permit/certificate/notice?) is finally in the window of Potbelly at Latta Arcade.

Yeah unfortunately it's just Ruth's Chris doing renovations instead of tearing that building down and making much better use of the land. And that's good about, they're still targeting November.